Exploding Sunroof

martind43

My glass sunroof on my 2010 RE350 exploded with no impact of any sort. Scared tyhe crap out of me! There was a hole in the exact center of the glass with thousands of stress fractures. After a lot of "discussion" the dealer contacted corporate it was repaired under warranty ($1000 repair). They calim to have never had heard of such a occurance. Has anyone else on the forum? Edmunds.com has a forum on this topic with 100's of people experiencing it on all bradns of vehicles.....

• 11 months later...

Today, I was driving a 2012 ES350 loaner while mine was in the shop, and the sunroof just exploded with the glass all over me and the inside of the car. Car had less than 78 miles on it. No other vehicles were near me, it just exploaded like a bomb or something. I was thinking what a nice car and considering a possible purchase and this happened. Scared the you know what out of me.

• 4 years later...

Exploding sunroof. Same thing happened to my daughter. Driving down the highway and her sunroof exploded. Right now car is in Lexus shop and they are refusing to pay for. Saying extended warranty doesn't cover "glass" However, I see Lexus corporate has paid others. Any suggestions ?? This car also has leaking rain water which they did cover under warranty. Wondering if one thing has to do with the other? UPDATE ! My dealer has agreed to cover ! Love my Lexus. I have two of them . Will never buy anything but LEXUS !!

• 3 months later...

I was driving down the highway Friday in my ES 350. No cars close by, no trucks in the entire area, and my sunroof exploded, just as others mentioned. It was neither extremely, hot or cold, or windy.

IMG_3778.JPG

• 7 months later...

The mysterious exploding sunroof just happened to me today in my 2013 ES350. No cars around, smooth highway driving, and out of nowhere it sounded like a cannon went off in the car. Scary moment. Car is most likely out of warranty, which stinks.

IMG_7345.JPG

PSU booter, sorry to hear about your sunroof. I was fortunate, because in MA auto glass is covered 100%.

This really does seem like an issue with the ES350.

Not sure to whom one reaches out to report such a thing.

TC

• 6 months later...

idk either.  The dealer and manufacturer would have been my suggestion as well.  I've heard of this on some of the mid 90s Chevy Tahoes  but I'm guessing hot sun has something to do with it.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...