5 replies to this topic

#1 jwis250

jwis250

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Model: IS250

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:38 AM

The IS250 has a motor oil capacity of 6.7 quarts, would it be okay to just use 7 quarts? My problem is measuring of the 0.7 quarts and saving the remaining 0.3 quarts every time I changed the oil. Will it harm the engine if I use 7 quarts?

Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 F14Scott

F14Scott

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Model: IS 250

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:10 PM

The likelihood of 0.3 extra quarts of oil in the crankcase and sump doing any damage to your car is extremely low. In 25 years and a couple dozen cars and motorcycles, I've rounded up to the nearest quart and never had a problem. Large quantities of extra oil (like two or more extra quarts) can push past the rings and/or froth, but a few extra ounces won't hurt you.

#3 jwis250

jwis250

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

The likelihood of 0.3 extra quarts of oil in the crankcase and sump doing any damage to your car is extremely low. In 25 years and a couple dozen cars and motorcycles, I've rounded up to the nearest quart and never had a problem. Large quantities of extra oil (like two or more extra quarts) can push past the rings and/or froth, but a few extra ounces won't hurt you.

Thank you! Next time I'll just pour in 7 quarts.

#4 Old school

Old school

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Model: '08 IS250

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

The IS250 has a motor oil capacity of 6.7 quarts, would it be okay to just use 7 quarts? My problem is measuring of the 0.7 quarts and saving the remaining 0.3 quarts every time I changed the oil. Will it harm the engine if I use 7 quarts?

Thanks

#5 Old school

Old school

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Model: '08 IS250

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

I've been putting 6.5 quarts at each change. This will bring it to the full mark exactly. Don't over fill. If you are using quart bottles they should be marked. If you are using bulk, go to Walmart and get a cheap glass measuring cup.

#6 jwis250

jwis250

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

I've been putting 6.5 quarts at each change. This will bring it to the full mark exactly. Don't over fill. If you are using quart bottles they should be marked. If you are using bulk, go to Walmart and get a cheap glass measuring cup.

Thanks for the suggestion, 6.5 quarts is a good round number. I can save the half quart for the next oil change.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have