Side Marker Lights - Do You Have This Problem?

eagle-7

Hi folks,

lexus.jpg

Above are images I took of the Lexus' front side marker lights outside the housing.

I took them about 3 months ago when both sides went out.

What I found was that the electrical contacts inside each where the light bulbs make contact have rusted out and are barely there. Why? Water seems to collect inside the housing. When this happens, the light socket/bulb are swimming in water. This eventually shorts out the bulb and over time eats away at the contacts.

The contacts are now barely there and one of the lights went out again. So, it looks like we're going to have to replace the socket. Might as well get both done.

Can I buy the socket piece (qty 2)? How much does each cost?

Any of you guys experience the same problem? Possible fix?

Thanks,

eagle-7

Bulbs aren't shorting out, electrolysis is eating the contacts away and the poor electrical contacts build up heat and add to the rate of bulb failure.

Buy replacement "bulbs" from "super bright leds" and forget about replacing the sockets.

Buy replacement "bulbs" from "super bright leds" and forget about replacing the sockets.

wwest, *EXCELLENT* suggestion.... LED's are your friend. Still way too expensive for what they are, but they're coming down in price...slowly.

Led bulbs wont chaneg the fact that there is water in there or the contacts are already dead?

If i am not mistaken the RX should still be under warrenty

take it back and have them replace both headlights and bulbs for free because of the moisutre problem which will reoccur.

Also use some electrical grease inside the contacts .the same thing they use on spark plugs

• 9 months later...

I came back to this forum, as I do whenever I need a bit of guidance on my 2000 RX300 and there was the exact picture of what was wrong with my front marker lights! :cheers:

I'll have to see if I can get the replacement connections and then use the grease as suggested.

FWIW, I also replaced the clear front "parking"/"marker" bulb with a 168NA (amber). The visual difference (improvement) was dramatic. I'd recommend it. As other have suggested, you go in through the wheel well - I'd love to meet the engineer! :chairshot:

On ebay you can buy complete street light assemblies with clear lens, for about $25/pair. I put amber leds in the front and red leds in the rear.

Be aware that most Ebay vendors are not aware that the same assembly fits both front and rear, at least on my 01 RX300.

Leds generate very little heat for the amount of light you get, and require a lot less current flow, therefore contacts last a whole lot longer.

I have neevr experienced water inside any of my Lexus street/parking lights though.

• 1 month later...