Rumbling Noise

roversii

Hi,

I have a '97 LX450 with close to 200K miles. Between 55mph and 80mph I have a loud rumbling sound (like a bad muffler, but the whole exhaust system is fine and the tires were recently aligned during the last oil change). It stops when I coast. It is at its worst when I am running at a constant speed. It is at its maximum level between 65 and 75mph and I can also feel it in the car but seems to subside as I hit 80mph. When I am accelerating or going up a hill it is reduced, but doesn't go away totally. Any thoughts? Differential? Something else?

Thanks,

roversii

Check you universal joints.

quote name='roversii' date='09 August 2010 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1281360732' post='416672']

Hi,

I have a '97 LX450 with close to 200K miles. Between 55mph and 80mph I have a loud rumbling sound (like a bad muffler, but the whole exhaust system is fine and the tires were recently aligned during the last oil change). It stops when I coast. It is at its worst when I am running at a constant speed. It is at its maximum level between 65 and 75mph and I can also feel it in the car but seems to subside as I hit 80mph. When I am accelerating or going up a hill it is reduced, but doesn't go away totally. Any thoughts? Differential? Something else?

Thanks,

roversii

Ok, NTB did the last differential service(transfer case). Still have the loud noise. Can't hear it from the outside (listening with the windows down on the highway). Only hear it from the inside.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

roversii