Maintenance Question

My 2010 RX350 owners manual states that every 5000 miles the drive shaft bolts must be re-torqued. I am sure thats not a cheap service.

(1) What the heck is that for? Never heard of such a thing. My old car went 200,000 miles and I never touched the driveshaft. Now I have to torque bolts every 5000 miles on a $45000 vehicle???

(2) Can I do this myself? Are there instrctions / diagram someweher for this?

Thanks!

Ken in Md

My 2010 RX350 owners manual states that every 5000 miles the drive shaft bolts must be re-torqued. I am sure thats not a cheap service.

(1) What the heck is that for? Never heard of such a thing. My old car went 200,000 miles and I never touched the driveshaft. Now I have to torque bolts every 5000 miles on a $45000 vehicle???

(2) Can I do this myself? Are there instrctions / diagram someweher for this?

Thanks!

Ken in Md

I looked at the manual. Its only for AWD. I am not really sure why? Ask your customer rep why that is needed. Retorquing is not difficult. But you have to lift the car and have a torque wrench.

My rep said they visually check it out, dont actually touch it. I said that's not what the maintenance log says, and he basically said it's outdated and not to pay attention to that item.

• 12 years later...

My ‘02 LS430 manual says the same thing. After 20 years of service I asked a mechanic about this. He said it’s for areas that have really bad roads in which the car gets rough service. He checkd mine and said none of them were out of spec.