Labor Cost To Replace Motor On '99 Rx300?

drewzer

Hi everyone,

So I blew a rod straight through the oil pan on my 1999 RX-300. The motor, with only 143K miles, is dead. The dealer alternative Lexus repair shop in Austin (has good reputation) sourced a used long block engine with under 60K miles for around $2,000. However, they say the labor would be $3,000, which my uncle the car expert says is outrageous.

So most likely the plan is to scrap the car and move on, but I'd appreciate your second opinions. While you're at it, what do you think about a Lexus certified used 2008 Rx-350 with about 35K miles for around $30K? will it make it past 143K miles ;)

Thanks for the help!

-Drew

Hi everyone,

So I blew a rod straight through the oil pan on my 1999 RX-300. The motor, with only 143K miles, is dead. The dealer alternative Lexus repair shop in Austin (has good reputation) sourced a used long block engine with under 60K miles for around $2,000. However, they say the labor would be $3,000, which my uncle the car expert says is outrageous.

So most likely the plan is to scrap the car and move on, but I'd appreciate your second opinions. While you're at it, what do you think about a Lexus certified used 2008 Rx-350 with about 35K miles for around $30K? will it make it past 143K miles ;)

Thanks for the help!

-Drew

Should be more like $1,500 in labor. IMO

Well let me know if you're in Austin!

If not, should I just call around and ask "how much would you charge to replace a motor on a Rx300?" To be fair, the first repair shop's price included changing belts etc that were easily accessible when the motor was out.

If not, should I just call around and ask "how much would you charge to replace a motor on a Rx300?" To be fair, the first repair shop's price included changing belts etc that were easily accessible when the motor was out.

Sorry, So. Cal. That's still too much money! There are definitely worse engines to change. That is what I'd do. See if you have any independent Lexus or Toyota repair shops in your area. Any shop that works on Toyota should have no problem changing a Lexus engine, they're the same thing. I personally probably would stay away from "General" independent shops that work on ALL brands of cars. Not saying they couldn't do a good job, just better to have someone who sticks with a particular brand.

Sorry, So. Cal. That's still too much money! There are definitely worse engines to change. That is what I'd do. See if you have any independent Lexus or Toyota repair shops in your area. Any shop that works on Toyota should have no problem changing a Lexus engine, they're the same thing. I personally probably would stay away from "General" independent shops that work on ALL brands of cars. Not saying they couldn't do a good job, just better to have someone who sticks with a particular brand.

Stay in So. Cal. way too hot here... Anyway, thanks so much for the help. I spoke to a dealer alternative Lexus repair shop who told me they have good success with JDM motors. He said that he could install one with less than 60K miles on it, including labor and 12 month p/l warranty for $3,000. Thoughts? Any experience with these Japanese replacements? Also, any suggestions on what I should have him replace once the motor is out. timing belt? anything else, and for how much? Sorry for all the questions, but you're a great help so I thought I'd keep pushing you...

Thanks!