Cluster Gauge Lights

93ls400walt

my 93ls400 has a new problem that I have not heard of before. The white lighting comes on when I start the car. But when I turn the parking or headlight switch on the white lights go off completely. The cluster panel is totally dark. The idiot lights still work though. ( I know that they are reflected onto the panel cover ). I have the usual problem of intermittent tach and spedo. working.

Any thoughts on this?

Stupid question, but have you tried the dimmer knob? It may have been moved, if not it's likely the dimmer is bad. I assume all your parking lights work fine.

you know that is a good question! I had not thought of the dimmer switch. I'll have a look. All of the outside lights are working. Thank you.

The dimmer knob has an adjustable level with a default full on at one end. If you put it on the "click" setting, the lights stay bright all the time which is very annoying at night. Therefore, Lexus installed a dimmer which automatically dims the instrument panel illumination when the headlights are on. If the exterior lights are off, the instrument lights remain on full. Like swo said, twixt that knob and you are good to go.

The dimmer knob has an adjustable level with a default full on at one end. If you put it on the "click" setting, the lights stay bright all the time which is very annoying at night. Therefore, Lexus installed a dimmer which automatically dims the instrument panel illumination when the headlights are on. If the exterior lights are off, the instrument lights remain on full. Like swo said, twixt that knob and you are good to go.

could also be a fuse, i bet there are two different fuses for the night and day dimmer.

could also be a fuse, i bet there are two different fuses for the night and day dimmer.

You'd bet wrong. The dash and parking lights all share a common circuit, and therefore a common fuse. Power to the gauge cluster is a separate circuit, but that doesn't have any effect on the backlighting.

Thanks for all of your input. It was the dimmer switch. Not sure how it got turned off. But it is working now at least in the daylight. Have not checked it in the dark. Walt