SC300Drifter

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • First Name:Derek
  • Model: LS430 Ultra Luxury
  • Year: 2003

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:29 AM

My 1995 LS400 just started jumping under normal acceleration, it feels like its misfiring. This only happens when the car is at normal operating temperature and under light accel , the car runs fine when cold or 70%+ throttle. The check engine light has not come on so cant get a code.

The plugs and wires were changed about 20k ago, the only thing i can think of is I ran the car out of gas (coasted into the gas station) about 2 months ago but it hasnt shown any problems until today so im not sure if thats even related.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, the car is parked until I can figure out whats wrong because I dont want anything to get damaged any further.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 intakerGS

intakerGS

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Model: 2K GS 300

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

There's a problem with the air/fuel mix. This could be indeed related to the 'running out of gas'.

- clogged fuel filter (caused by debris from bottom tank)
- Dirty fuel injectors
- your MAF sensor is slightly off, caused by air impurities, still not enough (yet) to set off faultcodes.
- Sparks and wiring you checked, I assume these are OK.

Although I have not any experience myself re. cleaner additives, some book good results with them, so it might be a try. Perhaps other members can share their experience and thoughts re. cleaners and results.

#3 SC300Drifter

SC300Drifter

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • First Name:Derek
  • Model: LS430 Ultra Luxury
  • Year: 2003

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the help, I will be replacing the fuel filter to see if that helps tomorrow. How do I check the maf?

#4 intakerGS

intakerGS

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Model: 2K GS 300

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

Have a look at this topic. More to the end there are some docs, to troubleshoot or clean a MAF. As I understand, the type of 'MAF' can be different for LS400's.

MAF info

If you're on it, check or clean the throttlebody too.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have