Paint Pealing On 2004 Gx 470

rfcbuf

My 2004 GX 470 has paint problems as follows: A. both paint and clear coat pealing and exposing the primer from the hood (between grill and head light) and B.the clear coat is pealing from the front bumper. Vehicle was purchased used but according to a body shop acquaintance, the GX had no previous body repair in this area and paint appears to be factory original. Has Lexus experienced any paint issues in the 2004 GX 470 model that I can reference before going to the Lexus dealer to seek some remedy? Any helpful comments concerning what I can expect from the Lexus dealer would be appreciated.

My GX 470 2004 has the same Paint problem like yours !Suspecting this issue is manufactured company's faults ?

The paints on rear bumper's coner was unexpecting peeled out like snake's skin ...!?! What's a shame for this kind of

luxury cars maker !They don't even care to learn how to paint the right way huh ? Very disappointed and will think twice

when we have to buy this kind of cars next time !!!(from Baltimore,Maryland) :cries: :angry::wacko:

• Like 1

What color GX do you guys have? I'm only aware of paint peeling issues on the 03 Sand Dollar Pearl GX470s but they discontinued that color in Feb 03 so there shouldn't be any paint peeling problems in the 04s and newer

• 1 year later...

I have a 2004 GX 470 that is experiencing the same problem with paint pealing. I bought the vehicle new. It was a special order with white paint. Sounds like a recall is in order. Anybody have any updated info. on this? Thanks.

I have a 2004 GX 470 that is experiencing the same problem with paint pealing. I bought the vehicle new. It was a special order with white paint. Sounds like a recall is in order. Anybody have any updated info. on this? Thanks.

04 white.. Blizzard Pearl? I don't recall hearing any issues of paint peeling with the Blizzard Pearl paint. They've been using that color since they rolled that color out (in exchange with the Sand Dollar Pearl which supposedly had the paint peeling issue) on the GX starting March 2003.

• 2 years later...

My 2008 GX470 had significant paint peeling on the roof and a crack in the paint on the hood. I had bought the vehicle in NJ but now live in FL. The dealer I took it to, Germain Lexus of Naples, at first said it was not covered. The service rep said it was covered under the six year corrosion warranty. Then he said Lexus would pay $1,000.00 of the $1,200.00 cost. The repairs were completed in late 2013 (six years would have occurred in December, 2013). Shortly after this was done, I noticed a small crack ion the driver's door. This was the first sign of a new paint peel. I advised Lexus and I sent them pictures at their request. The body shop showed me where the paint was beginning to peel at the base of the rear passenger window and at the base of the window in the rear quarter panel. There was a spot on the opposite quarter panel where the paint was mottled. The auto shop showed me that this was a dent repair done from the door opening. This must have been dome by the selling dealer in Wilmington, DE. The body shop rep also told me that since my repair there had been numerous instances of 2008 white GX470's experiencing paint peeling.

Lexus the denied my request for funding for this repair.The Lexus rep was never identified and there were no written communications so this was a phantom transaction. I then forwarded my complaint to Lexus in Torrance, CA. About two weeks later I received a call from Lexus in which Alex indicated that my request for support was denied. Again, there was only this phone call and no explanation when I referred to the warranty. When I checked the invoice for the 2013 repair, I saw that the cost Lexus paid was listed as a "goodwill" expense rather than a warranty expense so in fact Lexus never acknowledged liability

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem on the hood of my 04 GX blizzard pearl, and was told by a body shop that it would cost a couple grand to fix. I'm sure Lexus knows their's a problem, what we need is a recall.

It's a shame when you buy a lexus brand new and this happens. I'll remember this next time I go to spend $56,000. I've never seen this problem on a mercedes.

• 1 year later...

I am experiencing the same thing. I have an '04 GX 470,blizzard white, and the paint bubbled and peeled off the roof which I had repaired to the tune of 2k (roof only) and now the paint is bubbling and peeling/chipping off of the doors. I've seen a black GX470 with the same issue. What a shame that Lexus won't own up to this defect and fix this issue like they are the cracking dash (which my car also has too)... Very poor customer service, Lexus! I am going to try to get this new issue taken care of and refunded for the money spend on the roof. I'll keep you posted. Has anyone had any luck with this? I imagine if enough people report this issue to Lexus they will eventually have to do something...

• 3 months later...

I am having similar problems on my 2006 White Pearl garaged GX 470.  Just got an estimate for the peeling on the doors; $2700.  Crazy I have not seen this on any other cars on the road.  Lexus? Surprising is all.  

• 2 months later...

I find this surprising that the Blizzard Pearl has had many paint peeling issues over the years. As I previously had mentioned, they rolled out the Blizzard Pearl to replace the Sand Dollar Pearl that the first few GX470s rolled out with (including mine) due to a paint peel issue. *knock on wood* my Sand Dollar Pearl GX has had no paint peel issues at all. Always garaged, no body work. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/22/2010 at 4:23 PM, denslexusgx470 said:

What color GX do you guys have? I'm only aware of paint peeling issues on the 03 Sand Dollar Pearl GX470s but they discontinued that color in Feb 03 so there shouldn't be any paint peeling problems in the 04s and newer

2008 Lexus GX470 Blizzard Pearl

• 3 weeks later...

I am experiencing the same problem with the paint peeling on my 2007 GX470.  have the Blizzard Pearl and there are numerous places where the paint is peeling and cracking. Has anyone received any resolution from Lexus?

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have joined the band wagon of owning a Blizzard Pearl GX myself. I purchased it slightly used. I'll keep you guys posted about my observation of my 07 GX470 that is located in a humid warm country. 

• 9 months later...

My 2004 GX 470 (Sand Dollar Pearl) was the most dynamic vehicle I saw and rode at the auction the day I purchased it. There was a slight chip on roof then that I was determined to cover up professionally.  Within months, the chip turned to chunks, right down to the primer.  I had it prof painted to the tune of 1200.00 (parts of the roof rack later blew off on the highway from not being reinstalled properly and that set me back another 200.00).  A few months after this event the tops of the doors started to chip down to the primer and the issue is growing substantially into an embarrassing  eyesore.  I see chips beginning to occur, which are also destined to reach junkyard-worthy status, on just about every area that faces upwards towards the sky.  I would be outraged if not for the fact that everything else about the vehicle is fantastic.  But really? The BODY of a car is its calling card, and to see such a collossal and consistent surface flaw juxtaposed to the iconic “L” symbol should be an utter disgrace to Lexus and Toyota, their brand, noteable customer service and high-quality standards.   This has taken a debilitating shot to my sales efforts hauling clients around in what should be the epitome of luxury, comfort and reliability in an SUV as well.  I see on this board that appealing to Lexus on this issue has been futile.  This will not hinder me from attempting the very same challenge.  Hate to sign off with this, but I feel comfort in knowing I am not alone in this event.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2008 Lexus GX470 Blizzard Pearl and has been garage kept since my purchase in April 2008.  I recently started having to park outside the garage for the past 2 years and now my paint is peeling everywhere.  Is there nothing that can be done about this.  My car is in excellent shape and has never been wrecked.  It looks awful with the paint peeling off all over.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow, that is some bad peeling. Looks like my paint issue is no where closed to what you guys are having. One side of my rear and front fender (rear is non-metal I think, rear fender faded the most) has been gradually fading in the last 3-4 years. I suspect that side got the most sun exposure. Even so, it still should not do this. Anyway, the rig has ~233k on it so I am no longer concern.

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2010 at 10:49 PM, LHQ said:

My GX 470 2004 has the same Paint problem like yours !Suspecting this issue is manufactured company's faults ?

The paints on rear bumper's coner was unexpecting peeled out like snake's skin ...!?! What's a shame for this kind of

luxury cars maker !They don't even care to learn how to paint the right way huh ? Very disappointed and will think twice

when we have to buy this kind of cars next time !!!(from Baltimore,Maryland) :cries: :angry::wacko:

On 2/24/2018 at 10:29 AM, Phillips said:

I have a 2008 Lexus GX470 Blizzard Pearl and has been garage kept since my purchase in April 2008.  I recently started having to park outside the garage for the past 2 years and now my paint is peeling everywhere.  Is there nothing that can be done about this.  My car is in excellent shape and has never been wrecked.  It looks awful with the paint peeling off all over.

Hi, my name is Libby, I have the exact color (pearl white) and the exact pealing issues on all four doors as well as the roof of my GX 4704743E808-EB61-4867-AE25-8EEDFC756510.thumb.jpeg.126118151557250956b1e7f90105a115.jpegthis is the roof of my car604F1DAD-5E26-4D83-B1A4-425E33B0FAE9.thumb.jpeg.165eeabacd14c7a48c5d06b9902cfecc.jpegthis is the drivers side doorA549C2E1-D443-42F9-A863-68949A542ECF.thumb.jpeg.30ba856bba6bb925186887c59c78ff4b.jpegthis is the front passenger side door

8226B74A-0A79-4D50-8411-E5C04D5E870E.jpeg

8097EFAF-8A39-4FEB-BACA-2F77A632A785.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I realize this is a Lexus forum, but Toyota owns Lexus (or vice versa?) and we Toyota owners with Blizzard Pearl are also having the same issue that Toyota won't admit to also.  I think one of the problems that's helping them point to "not knowing about the issue" is that there are too many disparate forums.  Please consider joining my Facebook page (it's a Toyota page, but again, same company responsible) so that we can join voices and become a royal PITA until this acknowledge us and do the right thing and stand behind their products:  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/288416678661392/

20181007_125833_HDR_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There are no recalls per my conversation with them last week for any of their vehicles with this paint (Lexus, Toyota, or Scion).  The only thing we can do is band together and try to get their attention that way.  Until we have enough of us organized, a class-action lawsuit won't really do much.  Please join me at my Facebook page and post your veh pics/details!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/288416678661392/?source=unknown

Hi, I hope you don’t mind, I copied the fb link and I plan on sharing it with others tht having the same issue. I have a 2007 Pearl white Lexus GX 470 and it is REDICULOUSLY pealing. I’ve seen so many GX 470’s with the same issue, so I’m sure we will be heard soon. I thought about taking the problem public... maybe the News/Troubleshooters. Lexus has a good reputation as of now, but people will think twice if they knew about the paint chipping problems tht will be ignored. Let’s MAKE SOME NOISE!!!

4CE17113-F743-4F13-851C-97C553295026.jpeg

231D6FB1-A9B7-4FEB-87D4-A1F8B392A945.jpeg

4D68A1EC-37A5-49C1-A4DA-DA4FF5C1F935.jpeg

19B48530-E335-4495-8906-9A5B11427198.jpeg

435E112C-C884-4B02-B859-A204313E9965.jpeg