New Brakes On Our 2004 Gx470

gofastgirl

Had our 2004 in for 60,000 mile check. They found the back brakes bad, so we had them replaced, and it wasn't two weeks later the calipers on the front brakes siezed. Seemed kind of wierd, but we took their word, replaced calipers under warranty, and also applied front brakes, which we had to pay for. We think the tech machined cut the rotors so much that the pedal kept going to the floor. We had it in two more times, and they kept saying it was fine, and bled the brakes, but the brakes never felt correct. Over the weekend, my husband put on new front rotors, more new brake pads, and bled them again, saying there was so much air in the lines, he doesn't even believe the tech bled them at all. The brakes now work, the wheels don't vibrate as bad, and the pedal isn't going all the way to the floor. Should have done the brake job ourselves from the start. Only lost out about 1000 dollars...My take on this, do the work yourself, or have someone you know do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Experiences like yours makes it hard to understand why dealer-serviced vehicles are supposed to have better re-sale value. I avoid dealer service departments. A typical dealership generates about 10% of its revenue from service, but about half its profits. In today's depressed auto market, service departments are all that's keeping some dealerships in business, and many are recommending unnecessary service, and then botching it. Interesting that the rear brakes needed replacement before the front ones - usually the front brakes wear faster. Maybe the dealer only had rear brake parts in stock the day of your 60K checkup. Lucky you're capable of doing the job yourself.

• 1 month later...

I agree, I did 100k maintenance myself on my 04. Timing belt, water pump, trans oil, brakes.

My left front caliper had one piston frozen, now waiting for new caliper.

About 4 months back I had radiator replaced since car was still covered, dealer didn’t do a good job. Transmission cooler lines were not tightened and were leaking, fan shroud was not placed in lover holder, looked like someone was in a hurry…

• 4 years later...

I am nothing but disappointed in the "stealership" I had the misfortune of dealing with in Northern Illinois. I Yelped photos after I had a "service" done on my 2005 GX. The "master tech" lied on the report that he checked the filters/radiator and cabin filters. Heck, I don't think the idiot even changed the oil! I later read some of the horror stories on the YELP page regarding Woodfield Lexus/Resnick group actually sold some poor guy a vehicle that they claimed was Lexus Certified that WASN'T. stay away from these sleazeball ripoff joints and please read online reviews from other people to sort out what to expect. I rarely have time to do my own maintenance as I did on past vehicles I've owned but I'm starting to think I had better begin again. It's so easy for them to lie and then in my case, the "napoleon" owner called me yelling at ME for posting what they had done on YELP. Read reviews and form your own opinions based upon real people's experiences folks! Cheers!