Lexus Park Assist

55wong

Can someone help? I have a 2004 LS430 Ultra luxury package. the lexus park assist has started to malfunction. the front sonar sensor is beeping when stopped and in drive. are the sensors easy to replace or repair? how do you test them? thanks...

The sensor is normally located behind the Lexus badge on the front grill so access should not be a problem.

With it being exposed to road dirt,wind and rain I would 1st check it for damage or obstructions then check the wiring.

If it does need replacing I would think it is a dealer only part so try Sewell Lexus.

We had parking sensor issues on our 03 - repaired by dealer under CPO warranty - so not sure of cost. They replaced 3 or 4 of the front sensors. Front bumper cover has to come off and I thing the sensors are pricey.

The sensor is normally located behind the Lexus badge on the front grill so access should not be a problem.

With it being exposed to road dirt,wind and rain I would 1st check it for damage or obstructions then check the wiring.

If it does need replacing I would think it is a dealer only part so try Sewell Lexus.

The park assist sensors are located in the bumpers...not behind the Lexus emblem. You're thinking of the radar sensor for cars with radar cruise control.

Can someone help? I have a 2004 LS430 Ultra luxury package. the lexus park assist has started to malfunction. the front sonar sensor is beeping when stopped and in drive. are the sensors easy to replace or repair? how do you test them? thanks...

I had the same problem. I've had two problems with them and was able to fix through a lot of !Removed! around.

1. The first suggestion from the dealer was the alternator was wearing down and producing less votage to the sensor which was providing false readings. I didn't buy it, but it might be worth checking into.

2. My paint was just starting to chip off a few of my sensors. So I removed the flaky paint completely off the sensor. This did the trick. These things are so sensitive. The slightest micrometer of debris can set them off. So a little piece of flaking paint just bubbling on the sensor can trigger it. Anyone from a state with snow knows what I'm talking about.

3. Well now I have removed the paint, I now have grey dots on my bumper where the sensors are on a black car and it looks awful... but now there working. So next I have the bumpers repainted for a few hundred dollars, and everything looks great. Unfortunately, the new paint was thick enough to start triggering the senors again. I took it to the guy who painted the car and he removed the clear coat finish off the top of the sensors with some paint thinner and left a very thin layer of black paint. This did the trick. I have since talked to the dealer about and they are aware of this problem of repainting the sensors and will now refuses to do it. They only replace them now, for about $175 each installed.

Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

While at dealer to have new smart keys programmed to 2005 LS430 Ultra Luxury, I mentioned that when I pressed parking assist button I get visual signal indicating problem with driver's side front sensor. Dealer checked and found non-functioning sensor and estimated repair cost at $640.00, about half for part and half for repair labor. I'll learn to park without sensors - maybe use "braile" method from old chrome & steel bumper days. Even if I spent the $640.00 to avoid marring my pristine bumpers, I can't keep the other guy from doing it, so why spend the $640.00? Ain't modern technology wonderful ... and expensive to repair!

• 2 weeks later...

My park assist is not working either. Had my dealer check it out and the part (sensor) for one that is out is about $300, with additional $300 for labor. I think that if I could have it done by dealer for $175, installed, as an earlier post mentioned, I'd go ahead and do it, as I'd like to keep everything on my car working as it was designed and intended.