30000 Mile Service

sayhey

I have my 30000 Mile service due any day now and my Lexus dealership said it would be 585 plus tax. the price quoted was after i told them i replaced the cabin air filter (11 bucks at advance auto) and the engine filter ( K&N filter 50% off at advance auto). So i told the lady that i would only need the oil changed, tires rotated, and the replacing of the brake fluid. that is when she quoted me 585. while i knew that service was going to be expensive when i bought the car, i did not expect it to be more than my car payment or insurance payment. I talked to a local toyota dealership, they quoted me $150 for the service. (two other family cars are taken to this dealership) i was looking at the Warranty and services guide and it says that " When maintenance and repairs are paid for by you, these services may be performed by you or any automotive service provider you choose. Lexus will not deny a warranty claim solely because you used a service provider other than a Lexus dealership for your maintenance and repairs. what would you do?

ANY COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED

thanks

SAY

Per the attached maintenance log page for a 2008 ES350 (probably the same for all model years of the ES350), there are also a number of inspections that are performed during the 30,000 mile service. They may look like "fluff" but they really should be performed either by you or a mechanic.

In over 265,000 miles of driving Lexus cars, I've had only one 30,000 mile services performed by a Lexus dealer -- in about 1992 when I didn't have good alternatives.

I've been using independent repair shops for Lexus service since about 1993. The two I have used were/are owned by former Lexus dealer service writers and staffed by former Lexus dealer mechanics. Prices are substantially less and the quality of service has been far better. The indie Lexus repair shop I've been using since 1996 provides a shuttle service instead of loaner cars, his waiting room is not as nice as the dealers, he has only one flat panel TV, no free snacks or WiFi but he does have decent coffee.

A Toyota dealer might be OK too but I prefer a small indie repair shop where I'm on a first name basis with the owner and staff. I don't even have our Camry serviced at a Toyota dealer. It's virtually identical mechanically as the ES of the same year so I have the indie Lexus repair shop service it too -- and for lower prices than the Toyota dealer charges.

post-2157-1268268856_thumb.png

i do have a good independent shop where i take my other car, i talked to him he said he could do the service, but he does not have the machine for the brake fluid replacement. He did tell me he could drain all the fluid from the master cylinder, but would not be able to take the fluid out of the brake lines.

SAY

Too funny!! I just asked my dealer the EXACT same question today! See their response below. I am in for the $240 as I have near that amount of points value on my Lexus Pursuits card.

Good Afternoon Matt! Replacing engine oil & oil filter, topping off fluids, correcting tire pressures, rotating tires, brake fluid flush and complete safety inspection is about $240.00. So let me know when you would like to have the services scheduled. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day.

Shanan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wed 3/10/2010 8:34 AM

To:

Subject: 30k Mile Service

Hello,

Hope this finds you both doing well. I have 27k on my ES so this e-mail is to inquire about the 30k service. The 30k was not part of my purchase agreement so I am e-mailing about cost. I have completed all items listed in the owner’s manual for “30k Service” at or near 20k miles, e.g. engine air filter, cabin air filter, etc. The only items I seem to need to have completed at 30k are the items listed in blue below (and I think we should replace the locking lug nuts with ‘normal’ lug nuts, as the locking nuts are rusting again….I will just take my chances with the thief’s)! Obviously I would like your service techs to do a brief inspection on the car and tell me if an axle is about to fall off or anything (but I think this is included in a normal service(?), and brake pad thickness – but I see no point in requesting the 30k service.

Please let me know if I am missing something and please quote me a price for the items listed below in blue – plus the lug nut replacement (which should be under warranty).

Thanks!

I would get quotes from other dealers (like Tom Wood Lexus) and show your dealer their quotes and ask for the same. If they do not work with you, I would make Lexus Corporate aware of the drastic price difference.

I could not be happier with the way the dealer in Indy works with me. They have never suggested services outside of the owner’s manual, and when I request something specific they always respond with accurate detail – for what I generally deem to be a reasonable price.

Too funny!! I just asked my dealer the EXACT same question today! See their response below. I am in for the $240 as I have near that amount of points value on my Lexus Pursuits card.

Good Afternoon Matt! Replacing engine oil & oil filter, topping off fluids, correcting tire pressures, rotating tires, brake fluid flush and complete safety inspection is about $240.00. So let me know when you would like to have the services scheduled. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day.

Shanan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wed 3/10/2010 8:34 AM

To:

Subject: 30k Mile Service

Hello,

Hope this finds you both doing well. I have 27k on my ES so this e-mail is to inquire about the 30k service. The 30k was not part of my purchase agreement so I am e-mailing about cost. I have completed all items listed in the owner’s manual for “30k Service” at or near 20k miles, e.g. engine air filter, cabin air filter, etc. The only items I seem to need to have completed at 30k are the items listed in blue below (and I think we should replace the locking lug nuts with ‘normal’ lug nuts, as the locking nuts are rusting again….I will just take my chances with the thief’s)! Obviously I would like your service techs to do a brief inspection on the car and tell me if an axle is about to fall off or anything (but I think this is included in a normal service(?), and brake pad thickness – but I see no point in requesting the 30k service.

Please let me know if I am missing something and please quote me a price for the items listed below in blue – plus the lug nut replacement (which should be under warranty).

Thanks!

I replace my locking lug nuts with the regular ones because if the locking nuts or ever put on to tight you cant get them off ask me how I know. And besides factory

wheels are rarely stolen.

• 1 year later...

I brought my 2009 ES350 to the dealer for the 30K service. (I had about 30.5K miles)

It was expensive, $430 after a service special and supplying my own oil.

What happened though is they did a drive test and found the breaks had a slight shimmy in them and so replaced the rotors and pads for no charge under the warranty. (What looked to be a $550 job)

I could have done it cheaper at my local garage but I doubt they would have replaced the breaks.

So in the end I guess it was worth taking it to the dealer.

• 1 year later...

I have my 30000 Mile service due any day now and my Lexus dealership said it would be 585 plus tax. the price quoted was after i told them i replaced the cabin air filter (11 bucks at advance auto) and the engine filter ( K&N filter 50% off at advance auto). So i told the lady that i would only need the oil changed, tires rotated, and the replacing of the brake fluid. that is when she quoted me 585. while i knew that service was going to be expensive when i bought the car, i did not expect it to be more than my car payment or insurance payment. I talked to a local toyota dealership, they quoted me $150 for the service. (two other family cars are taken to this dealership) i was looking at the Warranty and services guide and it says that " When maintenance and repairs are paid for by you, these services may be performed by you or any automotive service provider you choose. Lexus will not deny a warranty claim solely because you used a service provider other than a Lexus dealership for your maintenance and repairs. what would you do?

thanks

SAY

Lexus is a Very Poorly "designed" car, made for people, who barely know how to operate. Real POS!! Get rid of it as fast as you can & go to Toyota or Hyundai.

thanks

SAY

Lexus is a Very Poorly "designed" car, made for people, who barely know how to operate. Real POS!! Get rid of it as fast as you can & go to Toyota or Hyundai.

Wouldn't going to a Toyota get you a lot of the same "design" as in a Lexus?

I brought my 2009 ES350 to the dealer for the 30K service. (I had about 30.5K miles)

It was expensive, $430 after a service special and supplying my own oil.

What happened though is they did a drive test and found the breaks had a slight shimmy in them and so replaced the rotors and pads for no charge under the warranty. (What looked to be a $550 job)

I could have done it cheaper at my local garage but I doubt they would have replaced the breaks.

So in the end I guess it was worth taking it to the dealer.

I'm at 38k miles(on my '09) and my front end is shimmying again. Under warranty the pads were replaced and rotors turned at 20k miles. $360 I didn't have to pay. So it seems like the rotors have a life of 20k miles. I do not want turn them again....once only, then replace them & pads. So this time, still under warranty, I suspect from what Lexus told me before that they will not pay this time. It will probably cost some big bucks. Anyone else finding front brake issues every 20k miles?

It always cracks me up when somebody who apparently has good technical knowledge, calls a Lexus a "P.O.S.". Then goes on to say that in addition, "it is very poorly designed". and " made for people who ( barely) know how to operate. Get rid of it as soon as you can.

Why I get such a kick out these people is that if your so smart and know so much, why in the world did you throw away $42,000 buying the car in the first place. Did you buy it with your eyes closed.lol

As Jim said above, (19900LS400) some of the items that you'll see listed on a 30,000 mile service may seem like a nit, but it's those little things that overtime can effect larger systems down the line and create problems.

I agree, the first dealer has either mistaken their slide-rule for an iPad, or they don't want to do the work very bad. Go back and tell them politely your sure they must have made a mistake.

Paul