How To Check Transmission Fluid Level On A 2006 Gx

mytwosons

Recently, I had my transmission fluid changed on my 06 GX 470 from my Lexus Dealer, I noticed that the transmission shifting is not smooth from 1st to 2nd , 2nd to 3rd and so i decided to check the transmission fluid level myself, to my surprised the transmission fluid came out right away when i loosened the 5mm allen check plug on the transmission. I drove my car to fully warmed up the transmission and the car is at idling when i did the procedure. Did my dealer overfilled my transmission and what is the correct way to check the fluid level.

The OEM method is to top off the oil in the Filler Plug, Close it. Start the Engine and Move the gear lever from P to 2L ( must be done slowly) and then return to P. You need to purchase a SST tool (09843-18040) from the dealer which is actually just 10/-$. It is just two wire leads. On you Driver Foot Area, open the Circuit Terminal, short the Wires between CG and TC points. Now check on your Instrument cluster the A/T oil temp Gauge. . Now shift the Gear Lever Move to N( hold for 5 mts) & From N to 4D position and from 4d to N in 1.5 Seconds. Perform this action repeatedly for 10-15 seconds. You will have ATF temperature Warning lamp comes on for 2-3 Seconds and goes off. Now Disconnect the terminals wires below & now idle the vehicle . Now try to tilt the vehicle to the left, ie the Vehicle Right side should be risen. And lower it back, You will see a warning lamp on the guage. No Again top the Fluid. thats it and idle for another 10 minutes till the Warning lamps goes off. Thats it you are good to go.

Here's the complete service manual procedure. If the ATF was at the proper check temperature, there shouldn't have been spillage from the overflow tube. Sure was easier when dip sticks were standard equipment.

Thank you guys for the inputs! I will definitely look at this matter again.

• 2 years later...