2002 Rx Oil Leak-common?

modmove

I have a 2002 RX 300 with 84,000 miles. Last winter, I was involved in a front end collision, which destroyed my transmission. Lexus Dealer installed a re-built transmission. Now I am leaking oil, and they are trying to tell me it has nothing to do with the accident (because they don't want to fix it) I never had any problems with the car leaking oil in the past. Is this a known problem with the 2002's?

Where is the oil leaking? Front main seal? Rear main seal? Are you leaking engine lubricating oil or transmission fluid? If it's an engine main seal leak and all the dealer did was install a replacement transmission, I can see how he would be reluctant to assume any liability for an engine oil leak. You really didn't give us enough information to make an informed recommendation. :blink:

Where is the oil leaking? Front main seal? Rear main seal? Are you leaking engine lubricating oil or transmission fluid? If it's an engine main seal leak and all the dealer did was install a replacement transmission, I can see how he would be reluctant to assume any liability for an engine oil leak. You really didn't give us enough information to make an informed recommendation. :blink:

Thanks for the response. They have put Dye into the engine oil to try and determine where the leak is. Since they are already telling me its not their problem, I wanted to see if this was a common issue with the 2002's, so I am prepared...

Based solely on my own experience with a 2000 RX300 having 145,000 miles and reading the posts I see on this forum, I would say this is NOT a common occurrence. But, there will always be mechanical failures at some rate. My gut feeling tells me that if this leak were accident-related it would have shown up shortly after the accident and not a year later. Let us know what you find out.

I had one rebuilt a while back after the tranny failed on my '99 RX300, somewhere in excess of 100K. I told them to replace the rear engine seal while they were in there, which they did. For whatever reason, the spring inside that seal broke almost a year later, so was replaced under their warranty (after some discussion).

If your dealer didn’t replace the seal while they were replacing the transmission, it’s cheap insurance and they should have. Look at the parts list and see if it’s there, or maybe get it pulled up on their computer if it’s not clear. If they didn’t replace it, maybe the seal decided to give up early, and now it requires the transmission be pulled to replace it. Bummer. I’d have to think about letting them do the work if you were going to pay full price to replace that seal after they failed to look out for YOUR best interests in the first place.

If they DID replace that seal, the next question is whether it failed afterward (like mine did), and whether it’s covered under their warranty. I don’t know if that kind of leak can be identified without yanking the transmission, so it may require an educated guess. Obviously, if it’s their problem and covered under warranty, they should fix it. Again, if you would have to replace the seal at full price, I might consider letting an independent do it.

As said elsewhere, first determine the kind of leak, then plan from there.

How much does the oil level (checked on level ground with a cold engine) go down in xxxx miles?

If the repair is on you, and the oil level goes down less than 1/2 quart in 1500 miles, just add oil as necessary and don't repair it. Put a pan under the leak in the garage to contain the mess.

Another option is http://www.auto-rx.com/. I used it on a '95 Avalon with good results. Won't hurt.

Good luck.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
I had one rebuilt a while back after the tranny failed on my '99 RX300, somewhere in excess of 100K. I told them to replace the rear engine seal while they were in there, which they did. For whatever reason, the spring inside that seal broke almost a year later, so was replaced under their warranty (after some discussion).

If your dealer didn’t replace the seal while they were replacing the transmission, it’s cheap insurance and they should have. Look at the parts list and see if it’s there, or maybe get it pulled up on their computer if it’s not clear. If they didn’t replace it, maybe the seal decided to give up early, and now it requires the transmission be pulled to replace it. Bummer. I’d have to think about letting them do the work if you were going to pay full price to replace that seal after they failed to look out for YOUR best interests in the first place.

If they DID replace that seal, the next question is whether it failed afterward (like mine did), and whether it’s covered under their warranty. I don’t know if that kind of leak can be identified without yanking the transmission, so it may require an educated guess. Obviously, if it’s their problem and covered under warranty, they should fix it. Again, if you would have to replace the seal at full price, I might consider letting an independent do it.

I re-opened my accident claim and the Service Manager told the adjuster that this problem was common with this Lexus. He was saying that he "thinks" the plugs on the back of the block are seeping. This is his guess, but without taking the transmission out, he can't tell for sure (and I know he does not want to do that on his dime) He would be more than happy to help me if I want to pay $400 for a diagnosis. There was no oil leak prior to the accident and their replacing the transmission. I am not happy, and I think everyone knows this right now!

• 2 months later...

Based solely on my own experience with a 2000 RX300 having 145,000 miles and reading the posts I see on this forum, I would say this is NOT a common occurrence. But, there will always be mechanical failures at some rate. My gut feeling tells me that if this leak were accident-related it would have shown up shortly after the accident and not a year later. Let us know what you find out.

Not to contradict what you have stated......but I had a Lexus Master Tech tell me that the Rear main seals go at about 60K! (I have a 2000 RX300 currently with 101K.) I said....A luxury car with a 60K main seal....Nice, real nice... He spoke to his service mgr and basically got the OK to do a good will warranty for the job. I think they get like 9-10 hours of labor. I had to pay for the twenty dollar seal though. I just hope the seal is a newly revised seal that will last longer than another 60K!!

You know I kind of think that a lot of the oil seal leaking is related to type of oil used and frequency. I have 177k miles and have not experienced the leak....yet. however this engine is prone to sludge and if it starts hard particles of oil residue can destroy seals...I have used synthetic blend from the start and switch to full synthetic at 100k miles...

You know I kind of think that a lot of the oil seal leaking is related to type of oil used and frequency. I have 177k miles and have not experienced the leak....yet. .I have used synthetic blend from the start and switch to full synthetic at 100k miles...

Tom- I think this is the reason you haven't had the rear main seal problem. I do have the pictures from when I replaced my DIL's at 97k mi (it had been leaking since about early 80's) but being computer technologically challenged i don't know how to post 'em. Gotta find the time to do that one of these days. It was absolutely cinderized and had cut a pretty good groove in the CS. Had always had dino oil used and changed at about 5k mi. Not good for this particular engine. Son still uses dino at about 5k but I got him switched to Castrol at least. :D