2001 Rx300 Transmission Rebuild - Worth It?

ItNeverEnds

I have a 2001 RX 300 66K miles, that needs a transmission rebuild ($&$^!!)...cost of about $3800. Is this worth the fix, or should I consider using it as a trade-in. Vehicle is in good shape otherwise..but who really knows.

We've had no other probs with the car, wife loves it, etc. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a 2001 RX 300 66K miles, that needs a transmission rebuild ($&$^!!)...cost of about $3800. Is this worth the fix, or should I consider using it as a trade-in. Vehicle is in good shape otherwise..but who really knows.

We've had no other probs with the car, wife loves it, etc. Any advice is appreciated.

There's been a lot of discussion in this forum about the transmission woes of the RX300. Since it is likely that your trade-in value will suffer from the condition of the transmission, the least expensive route is obviously to have the transmission repaired (check with Lexus if Lexus USA might help or assist in the cost - they refused for me but might consider it given your mileage and if you always serviced the car at Lexus). If the rest of the car is in very good condition (likely considering the low mileage for the age) and you (or your wife) really like it.... I would recommend you keep it. But then - what do I know about the future>??

There's been a lot of discussion in this forum about the transmission woes of the RX300. Since it is likely that your trade-in value will suffer from the condition of the transmission, the least expensive route is obviously to have the transmission repaired (check with Lexus if Lexus USA might help or assist in the cost - they refused for me but might consider it given your mileage and if you always serviced the car at Lexus). If the rest of the car is in very good condition (likely considering the low mileage for the age) and you (or your wife) really like it.... I would recommend you keep it. But then - what do I know about the future>??

And make sure they use the updated planetary gear set.

Pauljcl, Lexus114...Thank you both for your comments. I was initially shocked to see all of the posts regarding tranny issues with this line. We did "negotiate" with the dealer considering the issues you raised and also got a 2nd opinion and they did come down on the repairs a bit. So, thank you for the tips. We have decided to repair the car and hope it gives us many more years/miles.

Yes, Planets are being replaced also....

Pauljcl, Lexus114...Thank you both for your comments. I was initially shocked to see all of the posts regarding tranny issues with this line. We did "negotiate" with the dealer considering the issues you raised and also got a 2nd opinion and they did come down on the repairs a bit. So, thank you for the tips. We have decided to repair the car and hope it gives us many more years/miles.

What I believe Lexus114 is saying is that - make sure the planetary gear (which probably failed and which will be replaced anyway) is replaced with the newer part that is made of stronger steel and thus will probably not fail later. Chances are that the upgraded part is what will be used, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. -- I hope you continue to enjoy the car, whcih is a great vehicle.

What I believe Lexus114 is saying is that - make sure the planetary gear (which probably failed and which will be replaced anyway) is replaced with the newer part that is made of stronger steel and thus will probably not fail later. Chances are that the upgraded part is what will be used, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. -- I hope you continue to enjoy the car, whcih is a great vehicle.

I've replaced my 1999 RX300's transmission TWICE. I suggest you make sure they install a titanium planetary gear.