Purchasing High Mileage Lexus

skyview

Greetings,

I have located several 96-97 LS400 with an average of 126K miles going between $12.5 and $13.9. These cars appear to be good shape but do not have full maintenance records. None of these cars have Nav or CD players.

What are some of the key items that should have been replaced?

Is it worth it to purchase a 3rd party extended warranty? If so, your recommendation.

Is it hard to add a Nav or CD & Changer system to a 96-98 model? Where can you purchase the units?

What are the problems assocaited with "air suspension"?

-=Thanks In Advance=-

PS This would be my first Lexus....

i cant beleive there are gen II LS cars without CD player. i've seen many of them and all of them had a 6 cd changer above the glove box. 126k miles is not a big mileage for these cars and if there are no leaks and strange sounds in the engine and transmission shifts nice the car is ok. of course each case should be valuated differently but if the interior and exterior are in a good condition then the car is fine. as to the maintanence records you can get the VIN number and call any lexus delaership. all lexus delaerships have centralized database so you will see what and when was changed. i happen to have a 96 Ls so if you have any further questions about any particular car please let me know and i will be happy to help you.

check out the front suspension; lower ball joints strut bushings etc. as they are prone to failure.

PS Leakage has been issue for all 90-94 LS , new design on the 98+ has (supposedly) improved/fixed the problems.

IS it one owner.....?

gen II Ls doenst have the leaking problem either as well as the bushings problem is not that often on the gen II LS. i have 1996 LS with 130k miles and my suspension is purrfect:)

I've seen several 95-97 LS400s without the CD player, its not difficult to add.

Also bear in mind that no 95-97 has the nav system, that was first availiable with the refresh in 98. Run a search on this forum for "air suspension" and you'll see what the problems are.

Welcome to the LOC!

mine is loaded with eveything except air suspension (10x g-d)! i have heated seats, nakamichi, chrome rims, Cd changer, etc... and i never had a problem with a car for 2 years. i bough it with 107k miles in 2002 for 13k and i'm in love ever since:)