Do You Have An "interference Engine" In Your Lexus - How To

Hello Folks ,

The big issue, Interference Engines… If your timing belt breaks, the engine will continue to turn, but the camshaft stops. If any of the valves are open, and your engine is an interference engine, the piston will slam into the open valve and cause some real expensive damage. Most modern engines are built with very close tolerances, and to squeeze every last bit of power into a small package, engine manufacturers sometimes create issues with clearances. The easiest way to find out if your engine is an interference engine, is to look at the following guide published by Gates, a manufacturer of timing belts. They include the replacement interval and whether you engine is an interference engine or not.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure...rchGatesPopular

Based on this, my 2002 Lewxus ES 300 DOES NOT have an interference engine - contrary to what has been said/claimed on various forums .

I hope this is helpful.

Vic

:cheers:

Hello,

you wrote "I hate to tell you this but the Gates chart has lots of errors and the errors are not limited to which engines are, or are not, interference." Don't you feel like saying "Daxx, You just can NOT believe anybody these days. Can you ? :angry: :cries: How can a company like Gates can put erroneous information on their site? Pathetic, is it not ?

So, if this the case. is there any RELIABLE source (other than Lexus manual) to find out if 2002 ES 300 has "Interference" or Non-Interference engine?

what is your opinion ?

Thanks A LOT

Vic

I hate to tell you this but the Gates chart has lots of errors and the errors are not limited to which engines are, or are not, interference.

what is your opinion ?

I'm not saying that "You just can NOT believe anybody these days." but I AM saying that the Gates information is not particularly accurate and sometimes does not match the information in auto manufacturer's documention. I guess I get a little irratated at people bringing up the Gates B.S. over and over when it has been debunked so many times on car forums.

For example, look at the Gates manual for the 1990-94 LS400. I bought a 1990 LS400 new in 1990, drove it for 13 1/2 years / 183,500 miles and had the timing belt and all related parts replaced twice. The Gates manual says the timing belt change interval is 60,000 miles. It is not. The recommended timing belt change interval specified in the car's maintenance manual is 90,000 miles.

I could list lots of other inaccuracies but I'm not going to waste my time.

So ... your think your "2002 Lewxus ES 300" engine with a VVTi valve train isn't interference?

After helping the neighbor tear his engine apart on the highlander (same engine) The valves are definetly close when the cams are turned in certain positions. With the Variable valve gear assembly I would say it is interference.

Hello Folks ...............

VVT-I ( I stands for Intelligence and NOT Interference)

Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) - VVT-i continually optimizes intake valve timing over a broad range of engine speeds. It increases torque at lower speeds and horsepower at higher speeds to improve engine performance and fuel economy, as well as help reduce emissions.

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/detailed_specifications.html

Looks like jury MAY STILL out there on this issue.

Any way .................. I will ask my Lexus Dealer about the type of engine.

Vic

Thanks a LOT pberku,

You did a good job on this one. Clarification from them will HOPEFULLY clear this issue once for all.

I am NOT doubting the posts in this forum and their content. However, due to the very nature of cyberspace, you do NOT know who is out there and what interests they may have giving you biased/ erroneous advice. You have to decide how much to trust.

I ALWAYS trust BUT VERIFY ( or try to) from some other independent source. ---- My rule # 1 in life.

I was also thinking pf sending them email and asking for clarification. I, also, thought of sending email to Lexus also - I may do so later.

I did speak with ASE certified Master mechanic who was doing drain and refill on my Lexus with AMS ATF and he told me that mine is NOT Interference engine. Sounded like an HONEST guy - again, rule # 1 applies

Vic

'02-04 is interference type engine - 100%.

I sent an E-mail earlier today to Gates asking for clarification on the Interference issue. Will post if/when they reply

Phil

'02-04 is interference type engine - 100%.

I was under the impression that was the case for the whole generation....2002 - 2006...? :unsure: & I know the 2007+ ES switched to a timing chain with no maintenance required.

I guess one can always ask their local Lexus dealer to confirm or contact Lexus directly...but these days...they seem ummm pretty busy with other things lol. :lol: :whistles: