Inconsistency In Applying Warranty From Dealership To Dealership

JudyAA

I purchased a Toyota Platinum 5 yr extended warranty when I purchased my used 04 RX330 from a Toyota dealership. First, let me say that I love my Lexus, but I am concerned about the integrity of the individuals at the dealerships. Since I've traveled with this SUV from Northern VA to Florida to Texas, I was able to make some comparisons. As an example of inconsistency, the Jacksonville, FL Lexus dealership charged me for resetting the function for closing the sunroof (something that's needed each time there is a loss of power or battery replacement). I told them the setting for closing the sunroof had been incorrect since I purchased the vehicle, so they told me that since it happened before I purchased the vehicle it wasn't covered. The dealership in Northern VA correctly stated that it's covered. In Texas, the Lexus dealership was phenominal. They gladly covered/replaced an item that was not caused by a Lexus malfunction but was instead due to a malfunction of the iPod car charger I was using.

The question is, how can you tell if the item should be covered but the dealership is giving you their "interpretation" of covered?

First thing you have to understand is that all the dealers are independently owned, and their business philosophies vary greatly.

For instance your iPod related repair would not be covered, but some dealers will cover a repair like that. The warranties are all pretty common sense. If its not a wear item (brakes, tires, etc) then it should be covered...