Power Steering - Acv

waf102

Howdy,

Going thru PS pump hell right now. Hoping it isn't killing my new alternator.

Have new pump and reservoir to replace this weekend. Been reading up on all the threads. Old pump has been making terrible noises. Have had a small lead down on the rack.

Been driving to work a few miles each day. This morning it sounded worse (slightly quieter when warmed up...but sounds TERRIBLE in a turn) and had the most awful looking brown frothy crap forcing itself out from under the reservoir cap. I see a nice puddle on the engine guard below. Ugh! (guess i have a new lead somewhere on the pump.)

ANYWAY.....

This idea of replacing the ACV with a bolt and capping the two vacuum lines...I get that. But has anybody remember the specs of the bolt they used??? I have not seen that mentioned here.

Just trying to make it easier...as the job will be done at a friends family garage and they are a business and wont have the time for me to run off to the hardware store and locate a candidate bolt. When you find someone with lift willing to give you a "good-buddy discount" you don't waste their time.

If anyone knows the specs for the bolt I would greatly appreciate it.

And thanks to all of you who have contributed to the many useful threads I have read on this topic!

-Bill

Howdy,

Going thru PS pump hell right now. Hoping it isn't killing my new alternator.

Have new pump and reservoir to replace this weekend. Been reading up on all the threads. Old pump has been making terrible noises. Have had a small lead down on the rack.

Been driving to work a few miles each day. This morning it sounded worse (slightly quieter when warmed up...but sounds TERRIBLE in a turn) and had the most awful looking brown frothy crap forcing itself out from under the reservoir cap. I see a nice puddle on the engine guard below. Ugh! (guess i have a new lead somewhere on the pump.)

ANYWAY.....

This idea of replacing the ACV with a bolt and capping the two vacuum lines...I get that. But has anybody remember the specs of the bolt they used??? I have not seen that mentioned here.

Just trying to make it easier...as the job will be done at a friends family garage and they are a business and wont have the time for me to run off to the hardware store and locate a candidate bolt. When you find someone with lift willing to give you a "good-buddy discount" you don't waste their time.

If anyone knows the specs for the bolt I would greatly appreciate it.

And thanks to all of you who have contributed to the many useful threads I have read on this topic!

-Bill

Didn't the new pump come with a new ACV in it? If so why plug it if its new. I know someone posted the thread type some time ago maybe search for PS pump and thread or something like that to find the post. I know it is metric. Another fellow took the old valve and using his MIG welder just did a puddle weld on the inside to seal it off and then just reinstalled it as a plug.

Most new pumps don't come with the valve. I don't remember the pitch either, I just took the old valve to the hydraulic hose supply store and matched it up to a fitting. Same can be done at a quality hardware store.

Well, I got to my brothers...who picked up the pump for me...and inspected it.

As I assumes, it did not come with an ACV. However, it came equipped with a bolt that is a M14X1.5.

So for future reference to those wondering...that is the size.

Thanks to all who took the time to share there knowledge and advice.

-Bill