Cold Start Failures

Hey everyone, I'm in need of your collective expertise again.

The temperature is dipping below freezing around here, and my '94 SC400 isn't starting up on its own anymore. I suspect it's the alternator and battery, but after having both of them tested at my Autozone they passed. The test seems to be reliable; I had my '98 4Runner checked at the same place a couple months ago, and the OEM alternator in it finally needed to be replaced. I replaced it along with the battery, and she starts just fine again.

The battery warning light on my SC's dash lights up at startup and stays off whenever I drive. The battery is an Autocraft Titanium and was purchased on 11/2006. The alternator was purchased on 6/2006.

Assuming the test is accurate and both are all right, what else should I be checking? I didn't have any luck finding common trouble spots on the forums.

The temperature is dipping below freezing around here, and my '94 SC400 isn't starting up on its own anymore. I suspect it's the alternator and battery, but after having both of them tested at my Autozone they passed. The test seems to be reliable; I had my '98 4Runner checked at the same place a couple months ago, and the OEM alternator in it finally needed to be replaced. I replaced it along with the battery, and she starts just fine again.

The battery warning light on my SC's dash lights up at startup and stays off whenever I drive. The battery is an Autocraft Titanium and was purchased on 11/2006. The alternator was purchased on 6/2006.

Assuming the test is accurate and both are all right, what else should I be checking? I didn't have any luck finding common trouble spots on the forums.

What do you mean "isn't starting up on its own anymore"? Can you easily start the car by boosting?

When the temps drop, the batt's cranking capacity is greatly diminished.

You need to determine:

> if the batt is being adequately charged by the alt ... is the batt drawing too much current (shorting)

> if the batt is holding a charge/ what the cell levels are, read this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mercedes@okieb...m/msg73328.html

> if the starter is drawing excessive current.

What kind of tests were done ... were they load tested and what were the results?

There are remedies for cold weather ... block heaters/battery heaters/trickle chargers/lower viscosity oil.

However, I would start by making sure the charging system is working properly before buying any of these.

What do you mean "isn't starting up on its own anymore"? Can you easily start the car by boosting?

Ah, my bad. I mean to say that when the SC is jumped by my 4Runner, it starts instantly.

The Autozone rep used a battery checker to determine its output while the SC was running. He then had me turn it off, then on again to check the alternator. The only thing he told me afterward was that both were in good shape. Since I didn't get to see the actual voltages as he tested, I plan to check both again at NAPA tomorrow afternoon and record them.

The link you provided on the Autocraft battery is really informative - I've noticed inconsistent cell levels in the past and haven't given them much thought. I'll check the cell levels again when I get the chance tonight.

I would start by making sure the charging system is working properly before buying any of these.

Is there a way to do this at home, by any chance?

Check the battery/starter cables and the starter motor itself. If a jump start does it and the battery is charged, either cable connections or starter motor could be demanding above normal current.

Ah, my bad. I mean to say that when the SC is jumped by my 4Runner, it starts instantly.

The Autozone rep used a battery checker to determine its output while the SC was running. He then had me turn it off, then on again to check the alternator. The only thing he told me afterward was that both were in good shape. Since I didn't get to see the actual voltages as he tested, I plan to check both again at NAPA tomorrow afternoon and record them.

The link you provided on the Autocraft battery is really informative - I've noticed inconsistent cell levels in the past and haven't given them much thought. I'll check the cell levels again when I get the chance tonight.

I would start by making sure the charging system is working properly before buying any of these.

Is there a way to do this at home, by any chance?

Do you have a mutimeter?

Don't have a multimeter, but I found out this morning after making some phone calls that my local NAPA and Advanced Auto Parts offer free testing with theirs.

Just got back from having tests done on the battery, alternator, starter and charging system at both places. Much more in-depth results than the "A-OK" I got from Auto Zone! Turns out my suspicions have been confirmed...the only problem I have is that Autocraft battery, which measured 631 CCA at NAPA and 544 CCA at AA. Apparently, it's supposed to be close to 875. No wonder my SC has been struggling.

What stinks though is that the battery was purchased at AA on 12/7/06, so it's out of the 36 month replacement warranty. <_< It's prorated for an additional 47 months, but I don't think I'll be buying another Autocraft battery based on the problems outlined in Eatingblacktop's link.

What batteries do you guys use/recommend? My poor car has to endure startups below freezing temperatures on a regular basis during the winter, so I'm thinking I may need something like a Redtop Optima...

Thanks for all the help so far, everyone.

VigorousBrando, Consumer Reports 2008 ( in the link below) rate Kirkland & Everstart Best Buy...I have a Kirkland Group35 battery (date May 04) in my Sc 400. I also own a Battery floater for winter months when the Sc sits in the garage. Tip when buying a battery look for one that's no more than six months old. Batteries will have a shipping code on the case.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...t=0#entry336117

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, here's an update.

I followed grnsc400/CR's advice and got an Everstart Maxx battery based on its 700 CCA and positive warranty reviews. I didn't have a single problem starting through the deep freeze here in the states. Looks like I'll be seeking out multiple opinions the next time something acts up.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone.