Air Suspension Leak Question- '92

John2

Hi all,

My 1992 LS has recently started to drop in the rear. AFAIK, original everything and never had a problem before. I know of the shocks going bad-- have read everything on it, etc.

My RR started one day, then 2 days later the LR goes down w/ it w/in 15 min. They are both intermittent since they started a week ago, but more often than not, they will drop.

My question is-- has any one ever found a leak in their air lines? It seems odd to me that they both started w/in 2 days of each other. I'm obviously hoping it's a line fitting I can fix and was planning whether to troubleshoot or just go straight to coil-overs.

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

You don't say how many miles on the car but my '90 LS air suspension started acting up at about 160,000 mi. I recommend replacing with standard coil overs - considerably cheaper, longer lasting and more trouble free. Good luck. I would avoid the air suspension option on any future LS purchases.

I don't know about air line leaks, but wanted to point you to a source if you do have to replace the air shocks. The same thing happened to me -- noticed a 'drop', in my case in the front. My '94 was at about 80K at the time. The dealer quoted me an outrageous price to replace them (I forget, but it was in the thousands). I did some research and found them online at Arnott Industries (you can google them), then took them to an indie mechanic to install. They've been fine ever since. Doing front and rear at the same time is recommended, but I could not afford that at the time. Arnotts were the best deal that I could find. Their air shocks come with a lifetime warranty. Only air shocks give you that smooth Lexus ride. Though several recommended coil conversion (I think that's the term), I decided to stay with what the car came with.

Hi all,

My 1992 LS has recently started to drop in the rear. AFAIK, original everything and never had a problem before. I know of the shocks going bad-- have read everything on it, etc.

My RR started one day, then 2 days later the LR goes down w/ it w/in 15 min. They are both intermittent since they started a week ago, but more often than not, they will drop.

My question is-- has any one ever found a leak in their air lines? It seems odd to me that they both started w/in 2 days of each other. I'm obviously hoping it's a line fitting I can fix and was planning whether to troubleshoot or just go straight to coil-overs.

thanks!

Hey John, any updates here? I'm working on a similiar situation and it looks like its the exhaust valve on the compressor. Parts on order now but wont know for sure til things come in and I get a chance to try. My struts are not leaking.

If you need a strut Arnott is very good.

I've been reading the manual on the suspension system and I'm just amazed how the thing works and the on board diagnostics can be if you are will to go down the road. Anyway please try and post an update and I'll do the same once I have something concrete.

max