Oxygen Sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 1, Help

tealboy

I saw a report on the tv that said the oxygen sensor is the most over replaced item when the check engine light comes on. Mine has been on for months and the local mechanic (not lexus) said it was the sensor 1, bank 1 oxygen sensor. The part is $248 and labor $95. Is this price reasonable and, can you tell me where this sensor is located.

would it be responsible for the engine light? also have the VSC light on. What else might cause this light?

veh is a 2002 rx300 with 74,000 miles, AWD.

I think they are the hightlighted parts in the attached diagram -- part numbers 89467-48010 and/or 89467-48011 ... you might verify the part numbers with your Lexus dealer.

http://www.parts.com/ has a description of "Oxygen sensor, rx300, front" for both part numbers -- don't know what is up with that. They sell them for $147.14 each.

post-2157-1261577044_thumb.png

I think they are the hightlighted parts in the attached diagram -- part numbers 89467-48010 and/or 89467-48011 ... you might verify the part numbers with your Lexus dealer.

http://www.parts.com/ has a description of "Oxygen sensor, rx300, front" for both part numbers -- don't know what is up with that. They sell them for $147.14 each.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 is an A/F sensor (air fuel) not an oxygen sensor. Sorry! The attached file will show you the location, how to test, and how to repair. Look on page SF-75. It is located behind the engine, on the exhaust pipe, below the manifold. You might also check to be sure your gas cap is sealing properly. Sometimes the vacuum hose on the back of the engine air filter casing is not attached. Each of these can cause the symptoms you mentioned. Good luck!

SFI__SF__file.pdf

I saw a report on the tv that said the oxygen sensor is the most over replaced item when the check engine light comes on. Mine has been on for months and the local mechanic (not lexus) said it was the sensor 1, bank 1 oxygen sensor. The part is $248 and labor $95. Is this price reasonable and, can you tell me where this sensor is located.

would it be responsible for the engine light? also have the VSC light on. What else might cause this light?

veh is a 2002 rx300 with 74,000 miles, AWD.

Sorry I replied to the wrong post.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 is an A/F sensor (air fuel) not an oxygen sensor. Sorry! The attached file will show you the location, how to test, and how to repair. Look on page SF-75. It is located behind the engine, on the exhaust pipe, below the manifold. You might also check to be sure your gas cap is sealing properly. Sometimes the vacuum hose on the back of the engine air filter casing is not attached. Each of these can cause the symptoms you mentioned. Good luck!

SFI__SF__file.pdf

• 3 years later...