60k Service

lexus114

Okay,as you all probably know by now I have a 2005 RX 330 AWD w/62,000 miles on the clock. Here is what I`v done so far: Synthetic PP,(yes I went from yellow bottle to the platinum) Amsoil Synthetic oil in the trans,changed the pcv valve,air filter,cabin filter. The only thing I need done is the transfer case/rear differential oil changed. And I would like the power steering fluid flushed. So,I called my dealer to set up a 60k service,(the original owner bought it their) $540.00 to do mostly everything that I already did? I was caught off guard and made the appointment. Then last night I started thinking to myself "am I crazy?" Since all I basically need done now is the power steering,and the diff/transfer,I may as well go to my mechanic right? I was looking at it as having the 60k service done in the vehicles record`s for selling time,but I`m not so sure this is worth it? What do you all suggest?

Just document the service you and and others have done in your maintenance booklet. If it makes you feel better, buy a little inked stamp so you can make the maintenance booklet entry look official. Keep all your receipts for a future buyer -- used car buyers love to see receipts. There is no need to have the dealer repeat the work you have already done.

I've generally taken our Toyota and Lexus cars to a dealer or indie professional mechanic only at 30,000 mile intervals and even then I've performed some of the work (e.g. oil changes) myself. I just write "owner performed" by the items I've done myself and keep track of everything (including gas station fill-ups, wiper blade insert installations, etc.) in a separate maintenance log.

Just document the service you and and others have done in your maintenance booklet. If it makes you feel better, buy a little inked stamp so you can make the maintenance booklet entry look official. Keep all your receipts for a future buyer -- used car buyers love to see receipts. There is no need to have the dealer repeat the work you have already done.

I've generally taken our Toyota and Lexus cars to a dealer or indie professional mechanic only at 30,000 mile intervals and even then I've performed some of the work (e.g. oil changes) myself. I just write "owner performed" by the items I've done myself and keep track of everything (including gas station fill-ups, wiper blade insert installations, etc.) in a separate maintenance log.

Thanx for the reply. I`m sure you can tell that I just needed a little re-assurance.