2004 Rx330 Key Case Cracked

lexluthor5

My key case cracked on my 2004 RX330.

Can I just get a new case like here?

http://www.dinodirect.com/LEXUS-3-Buttons-...l/AFFID-15.html

Is it going to be easy for me to just pick apart the old case, put the insides back in the new case and screw together?

Is that pretty much it?

Any other suggestions or better places to get a new key case?

I shouldn't need a whole new key, right?

Or do I need one of these with the key (cut based on my VIN) and then transfer the electronics over?

You got it--off with old (one screw) and on with the new. You will need to get the key cut. I ordered mine from Lexus. Give them the VIN, they will take a blank/empty key case and cut your key by VIN. You will need to properly identify yourself. No need to buy new innards.

You got it--off with old (one screw) and on with the new. Looks like you have found a pretty good price. No need to buy new innards--that gets expensive and complicated.

What about the key itself? From reading around, seems like most people who are doing this are getting a new cut and have to get it cut. Why is that?

Will the old key just go into the new shell and work? How does it get secured in there?

I don't need this instead?

http://sparecarkeys.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=105

I should be able to provide the factory key code, so N/C for the key cutting there, I guess.

Why exactly do I need a new key cut? I can't just get the case like the link in my first post and move the key? I'm not sure I understand why that doesn't work.

You ordered yours from a particular Lexus dealer, not Lexus corporate, right?

So if I need that, the link in my 2nd post would be another option?

You cannot separate the plastic part from the key. Remove the insides of the key and read my first post. The key will be hollow when you receive it. Insert the innards into your new key assembly. I ordered mine (by VIN) from Sewell Lexus in Dallas, TX. One day shipping to central Texas. Plan on spending $125. If you order from the place you indicated, you must still get it cut, which presents it's own set of problems. I am sure you have a Lexus dealer near you in NY.

Ok. Thanks for all of the help.

I guess that explains why I need a new key too.

But it looks like this place here

http://sparecarkeys.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=105

does cut the key free, if I provide the key code, do they not?

That's only $45+$8 shipping.

Can someone confirm that's all I'd need?

I can't even tell if they key has a Lexus logo on the back though.

I also saw a thread somewhere we someone said they did move their key over and glue it in. If that's going to just break or if it's going to be difficult to do, I probably wouldn't bother with that option.

Also, isn't Sewell $77 cut, not the $125 you referenced?

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts_detail.asp?id=180654

Can't tell if there's a shipping charge.

Code CLUBLEXUS still gets a 15% discount too.

Is that what I need too?

Still that seems to be the same item as my other link above.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get the right thing the first time.

I've dealt with Sewell's parts department directly, at their counter. They are good to work with, and I'd just call them if you have questions (888-909-6633).

But, I did verify at their online ordering site that the 15% discount does apply if you insert the CLUBLEXUS promo code, and the price does include key cutting if you prove you are the owner. I can't tell about shipping charges without getting further into the online order process, but it's probably not much.

There is a link near the key description that describes how you can prove you are the owner, but I couldn't get it to work, so that may be down today. But I seem to recall that if your ownership records are current in Lexus national computers, they will use that as proof. It shouldn't be too hard to provide proof.

I also saw a thread somewhere we someone said they did move their key over and glue it in. If that's going to just break or if it's going to be difficult to do, I probably wouldn't bother with that option.

glue it in? I guess you could try that. But I'll tell you right now, it won't last, prbly not worth the effort. My key has broken in the past, and I find that the easist and cheepest approach, is to order the case from ebay, average cost $ 5, and then replace the guts into the new one and then get it laser cut for $40 cash, and my local locksmith...

And then you basically got a brand new key.

Conceptually, the Sewell and Sparecarekeys.com options appear to be very similar products. Assuming they are are of comparable quality, it appears that Sparecarekeys.com would be cheaper IF you can provide the "factory key code" or IF you are willing to send them a key to copy from (perhaps the broken key).

I could never find a key code in my Lexus records, so I wouldn't have be able to provide one when I was looking for a replacement. Maybe your luck is better, or it may be that Lexus doesn't provide key codes anyway - I just don't know. But if you get to the point where you want Sparecarekeys to cut the key based on the VIN, the costs between the two vendors will be about the same - then it's just a matter of estimating which one will be the least troublesome.

Regarding the comment by Bainzey on use of an eBay key and a local locksmith, that may work fine as well. I would suggest that you verify you have a local locksmith that can do the cutting before going the eBay route. When I tried the same approach some years ago, I had no luck finding one in the Plano TX area that could cut such keys, so was pleased to find the Sewell option.

Let us know which route you go and how it worked out.

Hey Lex Luthor:

On Ebay there is a company named Rocket-Keys out of SanFrancisco. $40 for 2 new keys cut to your old key with a photo or send them the old one. They will send your original back and the 2 new keys... BUT keep the transponder from your keys and use your spare key while they do the work. It takes about 1 week with whipping both ways.

Good Luck

My 2004 Lexus Rx330 fob case was broken from the back. I just ordered a fob jacket from ebay and it works good. It's a rubberized/silicon that covers the whole remote with holes for the buttons. It holds and protect the fob from dropping it. It cost me 10 bucks shipped