Synthetic Motor Oil In Gs 400

My 1998 GS 400 (85,000 miles) runs great with regular 5W-30 oil and regular changes at 3,000 miles. With so many good reports on Synthetic oil , I may change to a Synthetic oil like Mobil 1 on the next oil change and keep the vehicle using a synthetic oil for the future. Has any one done this and are there any advantages besides longer change intervals. I know the cost per quart will be considerably higher.

I changed my GS300 over to Amzoil at about 85K and have had no problems. As a matter of fact, it seems as if my engine actually got quieter. I change the filter every 3K and due a complete oil change at 12 months or 15K, whichever happens first. Good luck.

I changed my GS300 over to Amzoil at about 85K and have had no problems. As a matter of fact, it seems as if my engine actually got quieter. I change the filter every 3K and due a complete oil change at 12 months or 15K, whichever happens first. Good luck.

12 months or 15k.!!! are you freaking serious???..... i would love to see the inside of your car's engine.......

Below is straight from the Amsoil website. A friend of mine has been using the stuff for about 12 years, has over 200K on his Ford truck and over 150K on his wifes volvo and they still run like new. I've had no problems i.e. oil consumption, odd motor noise etc...

Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

Replace AMSOIL Ea full-flow oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year service life, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).

• 2 weeks later...
My 1998 GS 400 (85,000 miles) runs great with regular 5W-30 oil and regular changes at 3,000 miles. With so many good reports on Synthetic oil , I may change to a Synthetic oil like Mobil 1 on the next oil change and keep the vehicle using a synthetic oil for the future. Has any one done this and are there any advantages besides longer change intervals. I know the cost per quart will be considerably higher.

I have a 2001 GS300 with 180,000 kms and I just switched to synthetic. I went with Castrol Syntec 0W30, which is the "German Syntec" so it is fully synthetic. Canadian Tire had on sale here for $6.56 a litre so it wasn't much more than conventional, especially if you change it yourself. The local Toyota dealership charges $90+ tax for a synthetic oil change and they use Mobil 1. I also went with the NAPA Gold filter which is made by WIX and is apparently a quality filter. Six litres of oil (it takes 5.4), $10 for the filter and $2 to dispose of the old oil and I'm done for under 60 bucks.

My GS has no leaks and doesn't burn any oil so I had no qualms about going with the 0W30. Haven't noticed any difference in performance as some people claim (not sure how they could notice any small difference it could make) and the car runs at about the same temperature as before. My main reason for the switch is I feel the synthetic will be a little better for our cold Canadian winters and should allow for better lubrication for those cold starts. I'll probably not go much longer between changes but may go to the 8000 kms "normal service" change as opposed to the 5000 km "rough service" interval that I have always went with in the past.

Just had my 2001 gs300 120,000km service with Lexus they put Toyota Fully Synthetic 5w/40. .

If i brought the car new and intended to keep it for its life then i would go synthetic but I intend to keep it for about 5years

so as long as the oil is good quality I dont care

• 4 weeks later...

Just changed the oil in my 98 GS400 173330 on the dash. I went full synthetic at about 125,000. Used to used Penzoil Platinum but now I'm totally behind Mobil 1 Extended Performance, with the Mobil 1 filter as well. Can I tell the difference, yes alway have and feel its the best thing smoking!