Confusing Gears

mikeoshea11

my name is mike and i have a 1994 lexus es 300 and i'm having transmission problems. my car will not go into reverse and neutral is 1st gear on my car. Also when driving i have to let off the gas to have it shift from 1st to 2nd and the same from 2nd to 3rd.when i am driving down the road doing about 60 and put it into neutral it will actualy go into neutral. i am confused. i think it could be a clutch and a linkage problem but i'm not sure

ANY HELP

thank you

mike

Hi Mike,

It doesn't sound like a linkage problem because neutral is not next to 1st. When you are going 60mph the car should refuse to go into 1st for self preservation. Sorry I don't have any good answers for you. It may be a long shot, and I don't know when they started, but most transmissions are now computer controlled. If yours is, you can reset the computer by unhooking the battery for a few minutes. Always unhook the negative cable first, then the positive. Reattach in opposite order. Wear safety glasses whenever working with the battery. Again, I can't tell you if it is even worth trying.

Good luck!