Detailed Instructions For Cleaning Power Steering Pump Screen? 90-94

90LS400Lexus

Did a search - no luck. It must be on the fritz.

I am looking for detailed instructions on how to remove and clean the screen/filter on the power steering pump on a 1990-1994 LS400. I have found the info on how to do this on the steering rack, even though it was vague and said you had to jack the car up and remove both front tires, which seemed odd. Why not just pull it up on ramps?

I think mine need to be cleaned, because I have a sporadic "shudder" and vibration on low speed sharp turns. Sometimes it will groan and sometimes even make the car shake when turning the wheel at very low speed turns! I was told it could be the screens are clogged, or the pump could be worn out, which would not amaze me since my fluid had ran low so many times when I had that leak. It started about a month ago. I did notice I had overfilled the PS a LITTLE, but not sure if that would cause this or not. I hope this is not a sign for another costly needed repair.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I can't supply the details on the power steering screen but I had an instructor at AT&T that had that problem on his 97. He found a retired Lexus mechanic that repaired it and he said it was the first problem like that he had seen. I have the email address for the car owner that had the problem. If you send me your email address I will send it to him. He is a really nice guy and shouldn't have a problem explaining what he did to his for the repair.

Thanks. Wow, you have to remove the pump to clean the screen in the pump? Isnt anything easy on these cars? ;)

Oh well. Thanks!

Thanks. Wow, you have to remove the pump to clean the screen in the pump? Isnt anything easy on these cars? ;)

Oh well. Thanks!

Jim, you don't have to remove the pump to get at the screen. Check out this link:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=175272

90LS,

The instructions to clean the pump filter are somewhere on the list. Unfortunately I don't recall where. However, this is what I remember after following several threads on the subject:

To clean the filter in the PS reservoir you will need to remove the thing from the engine. Then, unbend or wedge the tabs up on the top edge of the reservoir. Look at it carefully and you will see where they have been pinched to keep the top fixed. In the bottom-up picture (link posted by eatingupblacktop) of the reservoir, you can see where the edge of the lid has been pinched (?). Once you get that loose, the top will come off and you will be able to see the screen. Use care when cleaning the screen as it is fragile!

Hope this helps.

B)