Switching From V To H Rated Tires

I have a 2003 GS 300 RWD with V rated tires. The dealer is suggesting I can switch to a H rated tire (more options) and said it is OK. Anyone else have experience with this?

I am looking at Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in 225/55/16.

FYI all GS's are RWD.... Id say get either bridestone potenza, OR yokohoma's... cant go wrong with those.

I have a 2003 GS 300 RWD with V rated tires. The dealer is suggesting I can switch to a H rated tire (more options) and said it is OK. Anyone else have experience with this?

i think i have these tires on my car. I had them changed via Costco lol. They had a good deal. When I get my car back from the dealer tomm. I will let you know. All I know now is that they are just Michelins lol :blushing: But I believe they are from that series. If it is, I can tell you one thing, they handle very very good on wet roads. More better than on dry roads in my opinion.

I have an 02 gs300 with these tires and they have been the best set of tires I have owned. No problems whatsoever. 48K miles on them with at least another 10K to go. Perform beautifully wet or dry. Not sure about snow; doesn't snow much in texas. Well worth the money.

FYI all GS's are RWD.... Id say get either bridestone potenza, OR yokohoma's... cant go wrong with those.

All 2nd Gen GS's (1998-2005) are RWD. 3rd Gen has AWD opt. on 300's/350's. But yea...that made me feel warm inside.

Where you @ in New England? Im moving back to Connecticut & need to meet some fellow Lex Heads.

Good luck w. ur tire purchase. I have little to offer there aside from those are great rubber.

Regards

You're probably ok with H rated but I would stick with V rated as that is what the car is designed for.

I have Toyo Versado LX's on my 01 GS300 and they are great....quietest tire I've ever had and handle as good as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's there were on the car before them.....and cheaper too!

I can't comment on snow performance though as I use Bridgestone Blizzaks in the winter....also highly recommended.

I have that exact tire on my LS - I put 93 wheels on the 92 and was then able to use a 16 inch tire. You won't be disappointed - wonderful tire.

The speed rating thing has been debated time and again around here, and the bottom line is the cars are not "designed" for a particular tire. Certainly the variables between tire manufacturers, and the fact that many people change wheel diameters (like me) have more influence than a speed rating, which is poorly understood at best.

My GS has Z-rated Pilots on it now, and it will have V-rated when they wear out.

• 2 months later...

Don't do it. You may pick up steering wheel vibration at 60 to 70 mph. Stick with the V rating.

Don't do it. You may pick up steering wheel vibration at 60 to 70 mph. Stick with the V rating.

Why would switching from a V rated (149 mph) tire to an H rated (130 mph) tire cause steering wheel vibrations? I've done it with no problems. My snow tires are even lower speed Q rated (99 mph) tires and they don't cause any steering vibration either.

• 2 weeks later...

They are only obligated, as they equip the car from new. Once any owner replaces those tires, they are in no way legally responsible. At least that's how it is in Canada, and I would ask to read any precedent in the US establishing otherwise. I doubt there are any at all.

To claim a tire failure due to extended cruising time at 140mph would be legally impossible as the speed to achieve that is a felony in itself, and no court would recognize it.

Another myth.

Not all GS's are RWD. You are going to loose a decent amount of grip when you switch. The 3.0 liter in your car isn't all that powerful, but if you enjoying gripping fast around corners, and the handling your GS has, then stick with the V rated.

Yeah, you will get a vibration if your wheel's weren't balanced properly, but get them balanced, and what tires you are running won't make a difference to wheel vibration.

Not all GS's are RWD. You are going to loose a decent amount of grip when you switch. The 3.0 liter in your car isn't all that powerful, but if you enjoying gripping fast around corners, and the handling your GS has, then stick with the V rated.

The change in speed rateing has NO significant effect on cornoring grip! All it means is a tire can sustain a certain speed for ten minutes with out being in any structual danger. The rubber compound and tread pattern have infinitly more impact on cornoring characteristics than speed rating. As far as any vibration, the speed rating has no affect on that either. That is an alignment or balancing issue. Bottom line is switch speed rating is only a problem if you like to cruise down the highway at WOT for hours. In which case if your not severly injured, I'll bet your drive train will be.

The change in speed rateing has NO significant effect on cornoring grip! All it mean is a tire can sustain a certain speed for ten minutes with out being in any structual danger. The rubber compound and tread pattern have infinitly more impact on cornoring characteristics than speed rating. As far as any vibration, the speed rating has no affect on that either. That is an alignment or balancing issue. Bottom line is switch speed rating is only a problem if you like to cruise down the highway at WOT for hours. In which case if your not severly injured, I'll bet your drive train will be.

Very well said Killer.

SRK

The change in speed rateing has NO significant effect on cornoring grip! All it mean is a tire can sustain a certain speed for ten minutes with out being in any structual danger. The rubber compound and tread pattern have infinitly more impact on cornoring characteristics than speed rating. As far as any vibration, the speed rating has no affect on that either. That is an alignment or balancing issue. Bottom line is switch speed rating is only a problem if you like to cruise down the highway at WOT for hours. In which case if your not severly injured, I'll bet your drive train will be.

Very well said Killer.

SRK

The one thing that wasn't commented on is braking. In extreme breaking the speed rating and quality of tire will matter. With the quality and construction of the Michelin tire I'm pretty sure you will be just as happy as the other post, but in extreme conditions it will be different than OE. And to comment on the vibration check the balance. Bushings, and LOWER BALL JOINT. That freakin balljoint is notorious for breaking.Oh and thanks for the Costco plug

Good luck,

Costco Tire Center Manager

• 4 weeks later...

Listen to me; never buy Yokohama. I wish someone had warned me about them. I bought four and two of them developed bubbles on the sidewall. They are also much louder than Michelin. That is why the Michelin's are so much more expensive. I did buy the H rated Michelin and it is quiet and reliable. The main difference is the 235/45ZR17 94Y is much softer for grip/traction and so will wear sooner.