Navigation Dvd Installation

How difficult is it to install the Nav DVD update? My dealer is charging $200 for the DVD and $150 for the installation labor. I've heard it takes only 5-10 minutes to install.

Any comments on the installation process would be appreciated.

How difficult is it to install the Nav DVD update? My dealer is charging $200 for the DVD and $150 for the installation labor. I've heard it takes only 5-10 minutes to install.

1) Remove rear tool tray( NAV DVD player is underneath)

a)fold down rear seats

b)find velcro tabs on each side of rear tray cover where it meets back seats

c)lift velcro tabs

d)slide fingers gently along edge where rear cover meets rear seats to release 5 plastic push pins.

e)Use 12mm socket to remove the 2 now visible hinge bolts

f)remove tool tray cover

g) remove tool tray, There are 2 black push pin on both sides that pry up easily. NAV DVD player should now be visible on passenger side

2) Put ignition in ACC position

3) If there is a dust cover on unit remove it. Mine did not have this. Some do.

4) There should be a "slide type button" on your left of the unit. Slide this button to your left(facing unit). DVD should eject

5) Insert new DVD

6) Slide button back to original position

7) allow NAV to update before turning off ignition( check NAV Screen)

8) Reassemble in reverse order.

Hope this helps. I just replaced mine in a 2008 RX. It may sound like a lot , but I was finished in 15 minutes.

Tip: If you are uncomfortable with DIYs, take your time and think it through.

a)fold down rear seats

c)lift velcro tabs

d)slide fingers gently along edge where rear cover meets rear seats to release 5 plastic push pins.

f)remove tool tray cover

g) remove tool tray, There are 2 black push pin on both sides that pry up easily. NAV DVD player should now be visible on passenger side

4) There should be a "slide type button" on your left of the unit. Slide this button to your left(facing unit). DVD should eject

5) Insert new DVD

Hope this helps. I just replaced mine in a 2008 RX. It may sound like a lot , but I was finished in 15 minutes.

Thanks Claude, mine's an 08 RX too so it should be a snap.

• 1 month later...

a)fold down rear seats

c)lift velcro tabs

f)remove tool tray cover

5) Insert new DVD

Thanks Claude, mine's an 08 RX too so it should be a snap.

Tried the above but, how do you get the DVD out? Slid the slide button to the left and the DVD did not eject.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

a)fold down rear seats

c)lift velcro tabs

f)remove tool tray cover

5) Insert new DVD

Great info...thank you. BTW, where do you suggest getting an updated DVD and what changes can be expected vs current (2008) DVD?

I like that I should be able to replace the navigation DVD in my 2009 RX350 myself (Is the procedure the same?); thanks for the advice :) . $200 seems like a lot for a DVD; is there a better place than my dealer to purchase the DVD (like maybe some web store - Amazon or something)?

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the info. It worked like a charm.

Once the DVD is installed, the software installation took less than 1 minute (from version 8.1 to 9.1), As soon as I saw the map back on the screen, I was good to go.

Next update, I'll buy the DVD on ebay and do it myself!

Thanks!

• Like 1

on mine it was under that big cargo flap in the trunk. ;lift it, there is a rectangle cover. remove it and the dvd drive it under that. they wanted 300$ for the disk and 1/2 h labor to install it. i was like... :chairshot: :censored: (cheaper to buy a new garmin unit...)

i d/l a copy of 9.1 of demonoid, burned it on a verbatium d/l and install it myself. saved 350$.

• 1 year later...

After following "smiley47"s excellent instructions, I noticed a small door in the passenger side of the tool tray.

I did not need to remove my granddaughter's car seat to fold down the seats and remove the panel. Very easy.

Had my dealer install the latest Nav DVD as part of the negotiations when I bought my 2009 RX350 recently. Will do the update myself next time. Am not impressed with the lack of accuracy on the map updates. It is missing several 4 lane highways that were built a couple years ago. My Garmin map that are a year old are more up to date than the Navteq Nov 2011 maps from Lexus. Anyone else finding poor map updates.

• 1 year later...

This topic was awesome, I purchased a disc on eBay but couldnt figure out where the navigation unit was... Mine has a small door on the tool box area and the new disc was installed within 2 minutes! saved $320!

• 3 weeks later...

benzowner,

The Lexus NAV maps are finalized in the fall of each year from several sources. Lexus takes a year for quality review and production. When they release the new DVD version, the map component is already one year old. In contrast, Garmin provides updates about 4x/yr; however, I find errors on them as I travel. The Lexus NAV may give me some strange routings at times, but the map portion, though a bit dated, has been quite reliable. I tend to use both NAV and Garmin while traveling.

• 9 months later...