Oil Change

qnlx470

I have a few questions about oil change on an 2003 LX470. My wife drives it and usually we have it done at the dealer. But since I usually change oil on our cars I might as well do it for the LX. I'd like to use Mobil 1, probably 5-30W since the SUV has low mileage.

I'm looking for some hints and tricks on doing an oil change on this particular vehicle. Some questions:

1. Looks like the oil filter is on the front driver side of the engine. How do you get access to it?
  2. Where is the drain plug?
  3. What's the torque for the drain plug?
  4. What type of oil filter is recommended for this vehicle? Bosch OK?
  5. How many quarts of oil if filter is replaced?

Thanks,

QN

It looks like you need to look at your owners manual. If you don't have one, register in the owners section at https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home and view the owners manual online and request a replacement.

1. Like all Lexus and Toyota brand 1990-2006 V8 engines, the oil filter is removed from underneath the vehicle.

2. The drain plug is on the sump at the bottom of the engine like any other drain plug.

3. I've never heard anyone using a torque wrench on an oil drain plug. Just use a regular wrench and be reasonable in the force you apply like on the other cars you service. Be sure to use a new replaceable drain plug gasket each time you change the engine oil -- it is a false economy to reuse a drain plug gasket. A new drain plug gasket will also reduce the already insignificant chance that you will over-torque the drain plug and eliminate leaks.

4. All V8 engines in all Lexus and Toyota branded vehicles use the same oil filter -- I buy them by the 10 pack, including 10 oil plug gaskets, at a Toyota dealer for $40. I guess you could use another brand, but why? I'm certainly not a fan of "Bosch quality" having owned many European cars since the 1960s.

5. Consult the owners manual for engine oil capacity.

Switching to Mobil 1 should not be a problem. Back in the early 1990's, Lexus/Toyota did not sanction the use of synthetic oil. My first Lexus V8 had probably 50,000 miles on it before Lexus approved the use of synthetic oil -- I switched to Mobil 1 5/30 synthetic oil and drove the car to 183,000 miles. Last time I checked the V8 engine in the old 90 LS was still doing fine at something like 275,000 miles with its 2nd owner.

I have a few questions about oil change on an 2003 LX470. My wife drives it and usually we have it done at the dealer. But since I usually change oil on our cars I might as well do it for the LX. I'd like to use Mobil 1, probably 5-30W since the SUV has low mileage.

I'm looking for some hints and tricks on doing an oil change on this particular vehicle. Some questions:

1. Looks like the oil filter is on the front driver side of the engine. How do you get access to it?

Thanks,

QN

1) Oil filter: There is a steel, oval-shaped access port held on by (IIRC) two 12mm bolts. Remove the bolts and the filter is right there (just to the driver's side of the bottom of the radiator).

2) Get underneath the car on the driver's side. You will see the large, secondary (plastic) skid plate. In that skid plate is a small, oval-shaped access port slightly to the driver's side. That is the bolt (IIRC, 14mm). Alternatively, you can remove the entire huge skid plate. Don't get the oil drain bolt mixed up w/ the transmission drain bolt. The oil drain bolt is on the bottom of the oil pan, which is on the bottom of the lower engine block! As an aside, if you look up (DS, rear part of engine near an engine mount), you will see a little elbow/metal tube w/ bolt near it. That drains the coolant from the left bank of the engine.

3) Don't remember. Most are around 30 ft-lbs. I just use a longer handle open-ended craftsman wrench. Make sure to use a new gasket (the old one sometimes gets stuck/baked on there, so don't forget to remove it first; I've heard of Toyota dealers forgetting to do this and the oil leaked out, burning up a few engines!)

4) 5w30 in the USA since it was the oil that gave the least emissions during CAFE testing, 10w30 overseas where engine life is more important. I use Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 and Mobil 1 0w40. I don't like Mobil 1 10w30 (D1 and 0w40 give me the most mpg's).

5) Filter: OEM Toyota: 909215-YDZZ3 (best is the made-in-Japan factory 909215-20004, only sold overseas now)

6) How much oil? More than 7 qts, less than 8 qts. I'd guess about 7.3 qts, then run engine and check the level.

1) Oil filter: There is a steel, oval-shaped access port held on by (IIRC) two 12mm bolts. Remove the bolts and the filter is right there (just to the driver's side of the bottom of the radiator).

2) Get underneath the car on the driver's side. You will see the large, secondary (plastic) skid plate. In that skid plate is a small, oval-shaped access port slightly to the driver's side. That is the bolt (IIRC, 14mm). Alternatively, you can remove the entire huge skid plate. Don't get the oil drain bolt mixed up w/ the transmission drain bolt. The oil drain bolt is on the bottom of the oil pan, which is on the bottom of the lower engine block! As an aside, if you look up (DS, rear part of engine near an engine mount), you will see a little elbow/metal tube w/ bolt near it. That drains the coolant from the left bank of the engine.

3) Don't remember. Most are around 30 ft-lbs. I just use a longer handle open-ended craftsman wrench. Make sure to use a new gasket (the old one sometimes gets stuck/baked on there, so don't forget to remove it first; I've heard of Toyota dealers forgetting to do this and the oil leaked out, burning up a few engines!)

4) 5w30 in the USA since it was the oil that gave the least emissions during CAFE testing, 10w30 overseas where engine life is more important. I use Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 and Mobil 1 0w40. I don't like Mobil 1 10w30 (D1 and 0w40 give me the most mpg's).

5) Filter: OEM Toyota: 909215-YDZZ3 (best is the made-in-Japan factory 909215-20004, only sold overseas now)

6) How much oil? More than 7 qts, less than 8 qts. I'd guess about 7.3 qts, then run engine and check the level.

This is wonderful. Thanks for taking the time and write this up. Hopefully someone else will find this informative as well. I'll print it out and keep in around for future reference. :)

--

QN

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

QN

1. Remove the front metal skid plate with 12mm socket to access oil filter.

2. Drain plug is behind the plastic access panal under the oil pan, pops open with your fingernail.

3. drain plug torque spec is 33 lb-ft

4. toyota oem or bosch are both fine. Bosch model 3330, or get the oem filter at a toyota dealer.

5. 6 quarts of Mobile One full synthetic 5W30 filled the pan to the middle mark between full & low dots. Be sure you run your car after you put the oil in and let it settle for a bit before measuring the dipstick to make sure the oil fills the filter.