Aftermarket Or Oem Ahc Accumulator Sphers Experience

Bon

I was having trouble with my AHC suspension system on my 2003 LX 470. I decided to replace my oem spheres with aftermarket ones. Twelve months later the front spheres went flat and luckily they were replaced within the warranty period (non-prorated). Eighteen months after the rears were installed they too went bad. This time the pro-rated warranty bill would have been around $500 (not counting my labor) for the warranty work, AHC fluid and shipping. Checking the best places that I know of to get Lexus OEM spheres I actually only saved 25% in the first place when I bought the aftermarket spheres!! I've given up on the aftermarket spheres and have gone back to Lexus OEM. Hopefully this post will save someone else the hassle and expense of going with the aftermarket suspension accumulator spheres. It's not worth posting the name of the outfit because I think they really do mean well. It's just that their spheres didn't hold up on my vehicle over a very short time period and they failed within 8000 miles after installation. I hope this helps someone else with their decision.

By the way, my original AHC problem turned out to the hydraulic pump, which I replaced as a sub-assembly for little money. I have now reinstalled the original OEM spheres back onto the LX and they are still just fine. I have around 65,000 miles to date. My fingers are crossed! Cheers.

A short follow up: The aftermarket manufacturer has stepped up to the plate and is going to replace my accumulator spheres! I applaud this turn of events and my confidence in this manufacturer is restored. He explains that there was a problem with the supplied raw elastomeric material that affected not only him but Lexus parts as well. I'm told that the problem has been corrected and he stands behind his product. I will install the replacements and restart the clock. I will be back with updates, good or bad, as time goes by.

A short follow up: The aftermarket manufacturer has stepped up to the plate and is going to replace my accumulator spheres! I applaud this turn of events and my confidence in this manufacturer is restored. He explains that there was a problem with the supplied raw elastomeric material that affected not only him but Lexus parts as well. I'm told that the problem has been corrected and he stands behind his product. I will install the replacements and restart the clock. I will be back with updates, good or bad, as time goes by.

That's Great! Maybe I can go that route and not worry...

• 3 months later...

Any current status... I ordered my replacement globes Saturday.....???

Original Post:

AHC Suspension Accumulators - B & B Suspensions - Keith

I own a 1999 LX 470 with 148,000 miles and I'm changing my accumulators (all 4) for the first time. In the past few months, my ride has become spongey (truck seems to roll left and right around turns and slow curves) but very HARD when negotiating potholes, bumps, etc. It just doesn't feel like the ride I'm used to. I like in New York and think the climate has been kind to me... I heard harsh weather and intense heat really beats up the system.... so after a call to B & B Suspensions and an hour + conversation with Keith, I have decided to go after market....

I have purchased 3 (2.5 liter) containers of the Toyota / Lexus AHC Fluid (part AHC Suspension Fluid 2.5 liter container 08886-01805), which by the way, is now $41 and red in color like their antifreeze... (purchased at Bronx Toyota Parts - Boston Post Road, see Ray Figueroa) I called 5 dealerships locally and found pricing $41 to $57.... I believe I have enough to change the globes and flush the system.....

I have read a few forum threads on IH8MUD.COM... and feel I'm ready to take this on myself....

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruiser...sion-fluid.html

Does anyone have ANY tips, tricks, watch out for's, suggestions before I start bleeding my first accumulator...

I've done a visual inspection (when I was doing my O2 sensors) and everything SEEMS to be where everyone says it is.... I read about taking a 36mm open ended wrench and grinding it down to 8 - 9 mm thick.....

UPDATE: FORGET THAT GRINDING THE $100 36mm WRENCH DOWN TO 8mm!!!!... get a FORD fan clutch wrench (they are a few bucks online... here's a link to Snap-on for you "Big Shots." Use Item Number: YA9325-1

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?it...oup_ID=1503)....

OR $16 on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Fan-Clutch-1984-and-NEWER-2-Piece-Wrench-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2468001aQQitemZ400042754074QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomo

tiveQ5fTools

It is 36mm and the PERFECT thickness.... my accumulators were original, ten years old and came off with just a little amount of pressure.... without the wrench this could be a lil knuckle buster..... I used a turkey baster to empty the reservior (with the truck in the LOW position), filled it to the brim with fresh, turned on the ignition and let the truck climb to the HIGH position, then started bleeding each accumulator (10 mm open end wrench).... did each one twice allowing the entire suspension to collapse (buy a length of clear tubing at Home Depot and attached to the end of the bleeder)... and continued until I had nice fresh fluid flowing.... This was possibly easier than changing the oil on this truck.... you DO NOT have to get under the truck... everything can be reached from outside the running boards and you don't have to drop the engine skid plate.... Keith said to allow AT THE MAX, 4 hours to complete.... I did everything in two hours, fifteen minutes with bull$#!ting and laughs.... I had one other guy helping me with the floor jack but this is definitely a one man job.... After completing the job, and spilling the oil out of my old accumulators... I think two were completely blown... the new ride was unbelieveably awesome.... firm yet smooth... and the truck lifts better, corners better and just feels fabulous.... I just hope I get the mileage out of these accumulators.... but as far as quality of ride, 4 STARS! I used 2 of the 3 2.5l containers of fluid.... it is relatively cheap compared to the system so let it flow when flushing out..... I plan on re-bleeding after ski season and a few trips to the Catskill Mountains of New York.... That should work out the kinks, and bubbles......

Thanks,

Rob

• 7 months later...

Any current status... I ordered my replacement globes Saturday.....???

Original Post:

AHC Suspension Accumulators - B & B Suspensions - Keith

I own a 1999 LX 470 with 148,000 miles and I'm changing my accumulators (all 4) for the first time. In the past few months, my ride has become spongey (truck seems to roll left and right around turns and slow curves) but very HARD when negotiating potholes, bumps, etc. It just doesn't feel like the ride I'm used to. I like in New York and think the climate has been kind to me... I heard harsh weather and intense heat really beats up the system.... so after a call to B & B Suspensions and an hour + conversation with Keith, I have decided to go after market....

I have purchased 3 (2.5 liter) containers of the Toyota / Lexus AHC Fluid (part AHC Suspension Fluid 2.5 liter container 08886-01805), which by the way, is now $41 and red in color like their antifreeze... (purchased at Bronx Toyota Parts - Boston Post Road, see Ray Figueroa) I called 5 dealerships locally and found pricing $41 to $57.... I believe I have enough to change the globes and flush the system.....

I have read a few forum threads on IH8MUD.COM... and feel I'm ready to take this on myself....

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruiser...sion-fluid.html

Does anyone have ANY tips, tricks, watch out for's, suggestions before I start bleeding my first accumulator...

I've done a visual inspection (when I was doing my O2 sensors) and everything SEEMS to be where everyone says it is.... I read about taking a 36mm open ended wrench and grinding it down to 8 - 9 mm thick.....

UPDATE: FORGET THAT GRINDING THE $100 36mm WRENCH DOWN TO 8mm!!!!... get a FORD fan clutch wrench (they are a few bucks online... here's a link to Snap-on for you "Big Shots." Use Item Number: YA9325-1

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?it...oup_ID=1503)....

OR $16 on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Fan-Clutch-1984-and-NEWER-2-Piece-Wrench-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2468001aQQitemZ400042754074QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomo

tiveQ5fTools

It is 36mm and the PERFECT thickness.... my accumulators were original, ten years old and came off with just a little amount of pressure.... without the wrench this could be a lil knuckle buster..... I used a turkey baster to empty the reservior (with the truck in the LOW position), filled it to the brim with fresh, turned on the ignition and let the truck climb to the HIGH position, then started bleeding each accumulator (10 mm open end wrench).... did each one twice allowing the entire suspension to collapse (buy a length of clear tubing at Home Depot and attached to the end of the bleeder)... and continued until I had nice fresh fluid flowing.... This was possibly easier than changing the oil on this truck.... you DO NOT have to get under the truck... everything can be reached from outside the running boards and you don't have to drop the engine skid plate.... Keith said to allow AT THE MAX, 4 hours to complete.... I did everything in two hours, fifteen minutes with bull$#!ting and laughs.... I had one other guy helping me with the floor jack but this is definitely a one man job.... After completing the job, and spilling the oil out of my old accumulators... I think two were completely blown... the new ride was unbelieveably awesome.... firm yet smooth... and the truck lifts better, corners better and just feels fabulous.... I just hope I get the mileage out of these accumulators.... but as far as quality of ride, 4 STARS! I used 2 of the 3 2.5l containers of fluid.... it is relatively cheap compared to the system so let it flow when flushing out..... I plan on re-bleeding after ski season and a few trips to the Catskill Mountains of New York.... That should work out the kinks, and bubbles......

Thanks,

Rob

Hey Rob,

Just FYI..... I just went through my THIRD set of B&B Accumulators (all of which have failed within 3 months of light usage) and now Keith will not replace this faulty set.

Hindsight being 20/20 I definitely would have either switched to a more basic suspension setup of gone with OEM parts seeing as I would have saved some money now.

I'd love to hear how quickly everyone else's has gone out.

Hey Rob,

Just FYI..... I just went through my THIRD set of B&B Accumulators (all of which have failed within 3 months of light usage) and now Keith will not replace this faulty set.

Hindsight being 20/20 I definitely would have either switched to a more basic suspension setup of gone with OEM parts seeing as I would have saved some money now.

I'd love to hear how quickly everyone else's has gone out.

A

So are you saying that my repetitive failures were caused by contamination....?

Seems like before you were sure it was a manufacturing problem. And I quote you "Chris I am so sorry to hear of another accumulator failure. We got bit again with a lot (bog of 500) of O-rings with soft spots dispersed in them--and they were the primary charge gas seal. They lose sealing pressure in the soft spots over time-from weeks to months before leakage starts. Failures are around 6% in the July-Dec 09 group, and run in groups of 20 units it seems. One of us was using the 'suspect' bag, the other a good bag."

This has been the most frustrating experience with a repair I have EVER had.

• 2 months later...

B and B Suspension experience the last 2 years has shown tremendous increase in Contaminated AHC oil. We do not believe our data is representative of the universe of LX-470's, but is likely to represent a much larger share of 'repeat failure' vehicles. Typically these have had the original OEM accumulators ALL fail nearly together, and replacement at Dealers (under warranty or 'good will) usually, then the 2nd set of OEM units also fail together again, and this time no Dealer 'deal.' These folks come to us and do not share their previous experience, and we did not think to ask for tests of the system oil. This lead to still more failures sometimes, depending on contamination levels. We now require 'good' test results before we validate any warranty. Photo of 'typical multiple failure AHC oil' when tested for contamination is attached.

Unfortunately, until July 2010 we had not analyzed failure pattern due to lack of enough data. We determined then: 1) Repetitive failures-whether OEM or B&B 95%? likely caused by contamination in the AHC oil. 2) Multiple unit failures coincident in time >95%? likely caused by serious AHC oil contamination. 3) Simple drain, flush to accumulators,install new part, refill removes, at most 40% of contaminant in the system and new parts highly to fail in short time. 4) Following the protocol suggested in the attached file WILL remove>90% of the contaminant. 5) the Water Reaction Test, also attached, WILL detect low and high levels of contaminants. 6) Some contaminants (windshield washer concentrate) are likely to lead to failure of the tiny hydraulic pump. Dealers will replace entire reservoir etc. assembly costing $2300, when only the Pump subassembly ($285 +/-) needs replacing. Total cost difference of $2500!

post-11351-0-64951800-1290363244_thumb.j

Clean-up Contaminated AHC system-MSword.rtf

Clean-up Contaminated AHC system-RTF.rtf

• 3 years later...

Hello, I have LEXUS 470 2004 start run bouncy front side very hard car changing hight normally but not soft while driving. What to do. AHC oil LEVEL MAX. Just controlled by workshop they think so its some think with AHC ACCUMULATOR. Help please. Not living in USA living in Norway car was imported from Florida to Oslo in 2006. Lexus is same car like Landcruiser.

Any help any tip will be help full.

Best regards.

• 2 months later...