Newbie Owner From Az

Hello all!

I wasn't sure where the best place to introduce myself was and as I am (actually the wife is) a new owner of a GS430, this seemed to be the best place to start.

So, quick notes about me. We live in Phoenix Arizona (hence the screen name) and I am a full time graphic designer who is always looking for freelance work as well, and have been in the field for right at 10 years. My wife just graduated with her RN license and is looking for her first employment as she has been an LPN for about 4 years now.

My current vehicle is an '04 Chrysler 300M Special (the last model before the box on wheels design). My wife had an old '98 Sebring which we recently sold.

So, how did we end up with a Lexus? Well, my father just upgraded and picked up a new '07 LS460 and sold his old '01 GS430 to my wife. It is black with light tan interior and as far as I know, loaded. Has the Mark Levinson audio system, heated seats, spoiler, 17" wheels, moonroof. The only thing I know it does not have is the navigation system.

Just over 111,000 miles on it and in great condition all around. However, the car just took a little cross country trip from Ohio to Arizona as my wife picked up the car followed my parents out who own a vacation home here. She noticed something that did not feel quite right. Now myself, I have no experience with any foreign vehicles, not to mention of this luxury class.

The vehicle has always been serviced at the local dealership and so I feel that may be expected of me to continue to do so. However, it is still a combustion engine automobile, so I can't imagine it would be extremely difficult to change my oil or even replace the plugs and wires. This is where joining this board comes in and educating myself all I can about this model.

So my first two questions if I may, on my first post are:

1) Is the process complicated to changes simple routine maintenance items on the GS430 like fluids or plugs and wires? Is this a vehicle that should always only be serviced at a Lexus dealership?

2) This is about the issue my wife noticed on the drive out and that I was able to experience tonight as I got to drive the vehicle for the first time. The car seems to shift normally, with shift points around 10-12mph into 2nd, 20-25 into 3rd, and 40-45 into 4th. They are quick and smooth. However, when you go to hammer the pedal down (such as to accelerate onto a highway or quickly merge over into passing traffic), the car goes into almost a stall mode or as if it choking. It will not downshift until you let off the pedal and you must slowly give the throttle gas.

When she first told me about it, I thought possible transmission slipping, but there is none of that. Next thought was bad gas, but since she drove over 2,00 miles and filled it up with premium, that was taken out of the equation. My thoughts then moved to plugged or dirty plugs and/or wires. I am not sure if/when the last time they were changed.

Another thought is electronic transmission shift points programmed in the computer. I believe the vehicle just recently had (again though, not 100% on this) a transmission fluid and filter change. I am not sure if this vehicle has a feature like this? On my 300M Special, when I recently had the fluid and filter changed I was getting very hard downshifting point from 2-1 and I had to take it back to the dealer to be re-programmed because of the new fluid and slightly different level. Not sure if this kind of thing would affect the downshifting when you are looking to accelerate out of the gate.

I appreciate any thoughts an input you might have. I will be sure to be reading over these boards to learn as much as I can about things.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to LOC!

I'm with you on the Chrysler styling.

1) No. And don't feel obligated to use a dealership, it's yours now.

2) Sounds like possible Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is dirty. It is in between the air filter and the throttle body. There are posts about how to clean it yourself.

The transmission computer is adaptive, ie. it "learns". Your can reset it by unhooking the car battery. Always unhook the negative first, then unhook positive. Leave it unhooked for a few minutes. And always opposite order to hook it back up.

Let us know what how it works out. Good luck!

Hello all!

I wasn't sure where the best place to introduce myself was and as I am (actually the wife is) a new owner of a GS430, this seemed to be the best place to start.

So, quick notes about me. We live in Phoenix Arizona (hence the screen name) and I am a full time graphic designer who is always looking for freelance work as well, and have been in the field for right at 10 years. My wife just graduated with her RN license and is looking for her first employment as she has been an LPN for about 4 years now.

My current vehicle is an '04 Chrysler 300M Special (the last model before the box on wheels design). My wife had an old '98 Sebring which we recently sold.

So, how did we end up with a Lexus? Well, my father just upgraded and picked up a new '07 LS460 and sold his old '01 GS430 to my wife. It is black with light tan interior and as far as I know, loaded. Has the Mark Levinson audio system, heated seats, spoiler, 17" wheels, moonroof. The only thing I know it does not have is the navigation system.

Just over 111,000 miles on it and in great condition all around. However, the car just took a little cross country trip from Ohio to Arizona as my wife picked up the car followed my parents out who own a vacation home here. She noticed something that did not feel quite right. Now myself, I have no experience with any foreign vehicles, not to mention of this luxury class.

The vehicle has always been serviced at the local dealership and so I feel that may be expected of me to continue to do so. However, it is still a combustion engine automobile, so I can't imagine it would be extremely difficult to change my oil or even replace the plugs and wires. This is where joining this board comes in and educating myself all I can about this model.

So my first two questions if I may, on my first post are:

1) Is the process complicated to changes simple routine maintenance items on the GS430 like fluids or plugs and wires? Is this a vehicle that should always only be serviced at a Lexus dealership?

2) This is about the issue my wife noticed on the drive out and that I was able to experience tonight as I got to drive the vehicle for the first time. The car seems to shift normally, with shift points around 10-12mph into 2nd, 20-25 into 3rd, and 40-45 into 4th. They are quick and smooth. However, when you go to hammer the pedal down (such as to accelerate onto a highway or quickly merge over into passing traffic), the car goes into almost a stall mode or as if it choking. It will not downshift until you let off the pedal and you must slowly give the throttle gas.

When she first told me about it, I thought possible transmission slipping, but there is none of that. Next thought was bad gas, but since she drove over 2,00 miles and filled it up with premium, that was taken out of the equation. My thoughts then moved to plugged or dirty plugs and/or wires. I am not sure if/when the last time they were changed.

Another thought is electronic transmission shift points programmed in the computer. I believe the vehicle just recently had (again though, not 100% on this) a transmission fluid and filter change. I am not sure if this vehicle has a feature like this? On my 300M Special, when I recently had the fluid and filter changed I was getting very hard downshifting point from 2-1 and I had to take it back to the dealer to be re-programmed because of the new fluid and slightly different level. Not sure if this kind of thing would affect the downshifting when you are looking to accelerate out of the gate.

I appreciate any thoughts an input you might have. I will be sure to be reading over these boards to learn as much as I can about things.

Thanks!

unfortunately the sluggish feeling you get when you mash the pedal on the 430 is normal. its due to the DRIVE BY WIRE system lexus uses..it sucks. if your doubtful as when the plugs were changed....just change them. can get them from sewell lexus online for like 6-7 a plug and use the OEM plugs sir our 430's dont like much else lol