Need Some Help Here - Afs Off "blinking"

Guys - I really need some help here. My rear struts needed to be replaced and I didn't want to take it to the dealer - I thought I might save a few bucks going somewhere else - how hard can it be to replace struts...?

So after the shop finishes with the struts, while I'm waiting on the car, they tell me they're having trouble resetting the AFS system. Eventually, I learn that the problem they're having is that the AFS OFF light is blinking.

You can turn AFS OFF on the drop down panel left of the steering wheel. But the manual indicates that if the light is blinking then the system has failed.

While they're trying to figure it out, the driver side headlight bulb goes out. Replaced that ($175) thinking that might be the AFS problem. But no...light begins blinking again.

Anybody had this issue? Is there a way to reset it? Any way this could be related to replacement of the rear struts (with adaptive sport suspension system...)

Any input would be appreciated. I'm probably going to the dealer now - but if anybody has any idea what's happening here, it would be a big help!

Thanks,

Update here... Nobody responded but I thought I'd post an update in case anybody else runs into this... I found some info on this forum for similar problems with some LS and RX models. They all pointed to a faulty ride height sensor that is attached to the rear axle.

Since I just had my rear struts replaced, which so happen to also be connected to the rear axle...I thought I'd take it back to the shop and have them check the ride height sensor.

Problem solved... When the rear struts are removed, the rear axle dangles. When it dangles, it pulls down on the actuator arm that is attached to the sensor. When the new strut was installed, the arm went down rather than back up. (i.e. picture an elbow that should be bent up and to the right being bent down and to the left).

Makes the car think the rear end is dragging the ground...

Disconnected. Reconnected correctly. AFS OFF light is OFF!!! Whew...

Update here... Nobody responded but I thought I'd post an update in case anybody else runs into this... I found some info on this forum for similar problems with some LS and RX models. They all pointed to a faulty ride height sensor that is attached to the rear axle.

Since I just had my rear struts replaced, which so happen to also be connected to the rear axle...I thought I'd take it back to the shop and have them check the ride height sensor.

Problem solved... When the rear struts are removed, the rear axle dangles. When it dangles, it pulls down on the actuator arm that is attached to the sensor. When the new strut was installed, the arm went down rather than back up. (i.e. picture an elbow that should be bent up and to the right being bent down and to the left).

Congrats to you, I know the feeling on trying to save a buck then to have the sensors go a-wall.

Had the same problem when I had the brakes replaced. After I changed I had to take back to the dealer to have them reset sensors, still cheaper then having dealer replace breaks, but I almost had a heart attack!

Thanks for the update!

We need to create a library for these issues....

• 1 year later...

Another update and thank you!!!

My AFS was flashing off and I assumed it was a fuse or relay.

I didn't know there was an arm and sensor at the back until I found your postings, so I had a look and there it was dangling loose!!!!

It looks as if it had broken at the bottom end where it enters the lower "knuckle joint". It seems it broke because the bottom knuckle joint was seized solid preventing it from rotating as the strut move up and down.

I did a temporary repair by joining the two ends with a piece of heat shrink electrical sleeving and hey presto all problems disappeared!!

Temporary might turn into permanent if the sleeving doesn't break!!!

At least I now know what was causing the problem. Mega bucks saved!!!

Many many thanks Guys and Gals :)

Billy

• 2 weeks later...

You people are amazing! You spend a nice piece of change on some of the best cars ever built and cry about paying factory trained professionals servicing your car! Instead, you pay some hacker a few dollars less to make your car worse than when you brought it in! What if they broke those sensors? How much was all that grief and aggrevation worth? Aftermarket parts? Seriously? No one makes better parts for your car than Lexus! You guys aren't Lexus owners. You're Chevy owners with Lexus key fobs. Real Lexus owners bring their car to the dealer because they wouldn't let those aftermarket chop shops touch their car.

You people are amazing! You're Chevy owners with Lexus key fobs.

Yes we are amazing - considerate, polite, non-judgmental, helpful. Which is why you don't fit in here Death. Go away noob, I hear your mother calling.

Oh, and I do own a Chevy along with the Lexus. And I work on that car myself too.

• 3 weeks later...

You people are amazing! You spend a nice piece of change on some of the best cars ever built and cry about paying factory trained professionals servicing your car! Instead, you pay some hacker a few dollars less to make your car worse than when you brought it in! What if they broke those sensors? How much was all that grief and aggrevation worth? Aftermarket parts? Seriously? No one makes better parts for your car than Lexus! You guys aren't Lexus owners. You're Chevy owners with Lexus key fobs. Real Lexus owners bring their car to the dealer because they wouldn't let those aftermarket chop shops touch their car.

What the...?

We're Lexus owners because we're smart and careful with money. The more you spend on a car the less you have in your wallet afterwards. You've got it backwards.

If you pay dirt for your car, then you'd have more spare change to take it to the dealer.

What the...?

We're Lexus owners because we're smart and careful with money. The more you spend on a car the less you have in your wallet afterwards. You've got it backwards.

If you pay dirt for your car, then you'd have more spare change to take it to the dealer.

I love when you guys bring your car to me after some chop-shop just "saved" you a few bucks.

I love when you guys bring your car to me after some chop-shop just "saved" you a few bucks.

Why would anyone bring their car to you? You run a lemonade stand outside your mom's trailer.

Why would anyone bring their car to you? You run a lemonade stand outside your mom's trailer.

Hahaaa :lol: