Steering Wheel Fluid?

youbetcha!

When I start the 2003 Lx 470 up the steering wheel makes a squeaking noise until it moves into place and does the same thing when I turn the car off. It doesnt make any noise when I am driving. Is there a fluid that is low or do I need to lubricate something?

Thanks for your help!

When I start the 2003 Lx 470 up the steering wheel makes a squeaking noise until it moves into place and does the same thing when I turn the car off. It doesnt make any noise when I am driving. Is there a fluid that is low or do I need to lubricate something?

Thanks for your help!

Does it happen when you remove or insert the key? The whole steering column adjusts when you remove / insert the key, maybe squeak your hearing is from this. If it is squeaking, there is probably a TSB from Lexus about it which they'll fix if you take it in.

Thanks for your help!

Does it happen when you remove or insert the key? The whole steering column adjusts when you remove / insert the key, maybe squeak your hearing is from this. If it is squeaking, there is probably a TSB from Lexus about it which they'll fix if you take it in.

Thanks for you help.... It happens when the steering column moves into place when I start the car also when I remove the key and the steering column moves back closer to the dashboard. I dont have a lexus dealership close by and was hoping I could fix it. So you think I need to take it in to fix it?

My 98 LX470 started to do that a few months ago. Dealership said that there is no way they can lubricate the parts to stop the squeaking as they are all internal. They also stated that the squeaking is sometimes indicative of the motor about to wear out which means it will stop working. They quoted $1700 for a replacement. After I laughed at the price for some time I got them to position the steering wheel where I wanted and made them disable the auto tilt and telescope. And eureka, no more squeaking. So if I were you I would just get them to disable the system. Because honestly how much is it really needed? Because once I put it in the position I wanted it in, I haven't touched it in the 11 years I have had the truck. So unless it bothers you that it doesn't move away from you when the key is removed and then moved back at you when the key is inserted $1700 dollars might be worth it to you.

I had the same thing happen about a year ago. I just took the plastic covers off and smeared the lithium grease that is already in there around a little more on the main column and I haven't heard the noise since then. Mine had the same symptoms as yours. I did read somewhere you can buy a kit to make this stop, but it's an expensive procedure to do at the dealership. There is a TSB on this.

I had the same thing happen about a year ago. I just took the plastic covers off and smeared the lithium grease that is already in there around a little more on the main column and I haven't heard the noise since then. Mine had the same symptoms as yours. I did read somewhere you can buy a kit to make this stop, but it's an expensive procedure to do at the dealership. There is a TSB on this.

Yeah I thought it was odd that with all this technology in cars that they were saying it was impossible to lubricate squeaking parts. They were most likely trying to cheat me out of $1700.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like the motor that extends/retracts the steering wheel? Those are known to wear out from repeated operation. When I bought my rig, I had the dealer disable mine to "save" the motor. It still will extend/retract if you use the button on the side to adjust it manually, and the memory feature still works when the auto retracting feature is disabled.