69 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles do you have?

• Less than 25,000
    • 25,000 - 50,000
    • 50,000 - 75,000
    • 75,000 - 100,000
    • 100,000 - 125,000
    • Greater than 125,000

Had a small issue with the fan motor connection into the fan ECU. Had to make sure the connection made good contact so the fan could work, but other than that, its been great.

So I am at 70,000 - going strong. No major problems . . . . yet ;)

For the high rollers (mileage wise) - How has your experience been?

• 4 weeks later...

Have a RX 300 1999, 215,000 miles, no major problems.

replaced thermostat, front exhaust tbing (strange part), some sensors, and routine maint every 3000-5000 miles.

getting ready to replace rotors, they have finally warped after 3 or 4 sets of pads

as a Realtor, I live in my car.

Thanks for your answers(BJ's info) newtoncd.

Do you have them turn the rotors every now and then? I had that issue @ 30K.

114K on our 2004 RX330 .... continuous brake rotor warp problem, but other than that, great vehicle

We had the TSB update at 30K and the dealer put on new rotors with the old pads .... at 60K, they put on new pads and turned the rotors and they turned the rotors again at 90K ... this all because of warping. Now, they are warped again.

I always have the rotors hand torqued to 80 pounds and my wife isn't hard on the brakes.

I am going today to get new pads and rotors ...... replacing them both at once, I hope will solve the issue ... time will tell.

114K on our 2004 RX330 .... continuous brake rotor warp problem, but other than that, great vehicle

Continous?!? I am having to replace my Rotors now, because they are warped. This is the first time that i am having to do this. Your post sounds a little scary, what would cause this, or in your case, what would cause it to be "continous" is this a known issue on RXs.

Continous?!? I am having to replace my Rotors now, because they are warped. This is the first time that i am having to do this. Your post sounds a little scary, what would cause this, or in your case, what would cause it to be "continous" is this a known issue on RXs.

On other vehicle I've done this job my self. Is it as straight forward, or do i need to keep anything special in mind with this vehilcle.

I should have done it myself, it is pretty straight-forward .... I didn't go with OEM rotors this time, the shop put on "Mountain" rotors made in Japan along with OEM pads. They checked the calipers and said they were functioning as they were supposed to.

We will see how it goes .... as for this problem, I don't think a lot of people are experiencing it as bad as we have. We purchased the RX in November 2003, so it is an early production model .... I know this much, anytime we drive up in the mountains (which isn't that often), when we come back to 5280, it seems the rotors are warped.

Just passed 115,000 on my 2004. The biggest problem was when it was new, the transmission did not shift right. I must have had it back to the dealer a dozen times, before they finally loaded a version of the ecm software that fixed the problem. I was surprised and disappointed that they argued with me about it. Current issues are a loud rattling noise from the roof at highway speeds, and all the warning lights come on occasionally while going down the road. The lights go out once the ignition is turned off, and the problem doesn't recur for months. It still rides and drives like a luxury car. I wouldn't buy or recommend another Lexus, though, based on the bad experience with service.

One cause of warped rotors is over tightening the wheel lugnuts.

One cause of warped rotors is over tightening the wheel lugnuts.

Yup, Discount Tire always uses a torque wrench they rotate the tires. They have it to set to 80lbs. When the pads were replaced (this last time), the tech said the calipers look great ... I am hoping it doesn't happen again, but we will see. I probably need to stay away from the mountains or drive my A4.

• 1 month later...

I have 190,000 kilometers (118K miles for you guys in the US) on my 02 RX 300 no major problems yet. Replaced brake pads and rotors last year for just under $400.00 DIY, I must say it was the easiest brake job I have ever done. Had timing belt done this summer at a Toyota dealer.

• 11 months later...

As of today, my 2002 RX300 accumulate 140K+. No major repaired. Replaced belt last year at Lexus dealer ship costed a forturn. To date, replace brake and rotor. Changed trasmission fluid 2 years ago. Didn't follow maintenance schedule except for the first few years. Car is running great.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife's 2004 RX330 AWD (built in Japan) had the front rotors warp while the vehicle was still under factory warranty at about 43,000 miles. I found out that there was a TSB for this problem which replaced the warped rotors with a supposedly re-engineered better set of rotors, so I had it done under warranty. Now the vehicle is pushing 105,000 miles and the rotors have been fine. Replaced the rear brake pads at about 78,000 miles and the front brake pads at about 84,000 miles, and all rotors were fine. Decided not to turn them since they were so clean and scratch-free. Researched brake pads and decided to go with Wagner ThermoQuiet pads (with a lifetime warranty) on both axles and have been extremely pleased. The OEM pads were good, but the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads are better. Completely silent, and not a speck of brake dust....

My RX has about 85k miles. I just had the rear breaks and rotors changed. I haven't heard about this rotor warping issue but would it cause my pads to wear fast? I had an oil change done in June and they noted the rear pads were at 50% but then early this month they were down to bare metal. That doesn't seem right to me.

• 10 years later...

My 2004 RX 330 has 325,000 miles and I am considering doing some repairs and passing it on to my son. I am wondering how much longer it might last, anyone know any other RXs  with high mileage like mine? I found one post online about an RX with more than 400,000 miles. But aside from that I have not seen anything else. Any chance anyone knows of other super high mileage RXs? I guess I am trying to figure out how much longer it might last.

On 8/13/2009 at 11:30 PM, newtoncd said:

Being a longtime Toyota/Lexus owner, and a Retired Toyota Tech, I learned a long time ago that the early Lexus/Toyota models that were equipped with Ceramic brake pads, had rotor warping issues. I switched to Semi-Metallic or Organic Compound brake pads, and never had a rotor warp again. There is a little more dust and noise with these types pads, but they don't get as hot and generate the heat the Ceramic pads do, which causes the early rotors to warp. Eventually the automaker made a rotor to handle the high heat Ceramic pads make, and the rotor warping became less of a problem in the later years.

Also it is very important on every brake job that the rotors, new or old, are checked for being "out of round"  (Yes, new rotors) and the technician lubricates the caliper slides, makes sure the caliper piston is not frozen and that the pads fit freely in the calipers, and the lug nuts are hand tightened. Try not to turn a warped rotor, too much rotor material has to be removed, making them more prone to warping again. This is something every tech should do, but Rarely DOES. If these procedures are followed everytime, brake problems are  Very Rare!!!              PS, Brembo makes Good Pads and Rotors. 

• 7 months later...
On 7/18/2009 at 11:15 AM, littleengin said:

So I am at 70,000 - going strong. No major problems . . . . yet 😉

For the high rollers (mileage wise) - How has your experience been?

2004 RX330 with 198000 on her. Other than normal maintenance items only thing I have done is 2 knock sensors and wire harness and front brake rotors. That was $2400. at Lexus. Original struts and suspension and everything works fine