Awd 4h Not Engaging 99 Lx 470

mor37459

I have a 99 LX 470 with 117,000 miles. Last week when going down the highway, the car stopped engaging the wheels. When I would push the gas the engine would just rev like it was in neutral. When I put the car in park then back to drive it did it again and would not engage. I changed the setting on the AWD from 4H to 4L and the car engaged and drove fine (obviously at low speeds). I put it back into 4H and it wouldn't engage unless I put the center differential wheel locks on. I am going to take it into the dealership next week. What do you think the problem could be? Bad Transfer Case? Bad Tranny? I wanted to get you guys opinion so I can prepare myself for the diagnosis I don't want to be totally shocked when I take it into the dealership if they slap me with a 5k bill for a new transmission. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Uhg that already sounds expensive. I would assume that if the truck drives while in 4L that the transmission is ok and that it is the transfer case that is malfunctioning and not sending power to the wheels. But I am just throwing a guess out there. The truck should always be in AWD mode but I do not know the bias as to how much power is fed to the front and rear wheels while in normal driving mode and would not know why locking the center differential would move the truck. Sorry that you are having this problem. Let us know what you find out!

will do. I just got it last month so hopefully nothing major.

Does anyone know of a good place to take the car in the Oklahoma City, OK area besides the dealership? Someone that could do it for less?

I'd say the next safest place would be a Toyota dealership...but if you don't want a dealership at all i'm sorry but i'm not from your area.

Sound like the t-case if it works in L but not in H. Are you sure it's all the way in H? On mine, you have to push the knob pretty hard. If it's the t-case, at least it's easier to replace the t-case than the tranny...just unbolt the driveshafts (mark the splines), unbolt t-case supports and t-case. You can leave the tranny attached to the engine. If it were the tranny, you have to remove the entire tranny/t-case unit to replace the tranny.