Questions Regarding Changing My Coolant

So yesterday I decided to drain my coolant and add some new aftermarket coolant. I pulled off the plastic cover underneath my car, then drained the coolant in the radiator by twisting the butterfly plug (the car was still cold). Then I filled the radiator up with water, and ran the car about 20 minutes with the heater on high. I got it to operating temperature, shut it off, then drained the dirty water that mixed with the coolant still circulating through the block. I refilled the radiator with water, then ran it again with the heater on high. I drained the water from the radiator, and filled the radiator, as well as the overflow tank, with 50/50 coolant (half water), and it only allowed one gallon before topping off. Now the questions.

I know my tank holds 2 gallons of coolant, so by adding the 50/50 coolant, I only have about 25% anti-freeze in my tank. Plus, I read that Lexus recommends Toyota red coolant for my car, which was the color that drained out originally. I can't locate where (if there even is one) the coolant plug for the engine block, so how am I supposed to drain the entire 2 gallons befre adding the new coolant? I was thinking that I'd run the engine at operating temperature with the heater on high, and have the radiator drain plug open, making sure I didn't overheat the car, but has anyone else done it this way? Secondly, is it really that big of a deal to add Toyota red coolant? I don't mind going to get some, I was just wondering how much of a difference people say it makes. Thank you.

So yesterday I decided to drain my coolant and add some new aftermarket coolant. I pulled off the plastic cover underneath my car, then drained the coolant in the radiator by twisting the butterfly plug (the car was still cold). Then I filled the radiator up with water, and ran the car about 20 minutes with the heater on high. I got it to operating temperature, shut it off, then drained the dirty water that mixed with the coolant still circulating through the block. I refilled the radiator with water, then ran it again with the heater on high. I drained the water from the radiator, and filled the radiator, as well as the overflow tank, with 50/50 coolant (half water), and it only allowed one gallon before topping off. Now the questions.

I know my tank holds 2 gallons of coolant, so by adding the 50/50 coolant, I only have about 25% anti-freeze in my tank. Plus, I read that Lexus recommends Toyota red coolant for my car, which was the color that drained out originally. I can't locate where (if there even is one) the coolant plug for the engine block, so how am I supposed to drain the entire 2 gallons befre adding the new coolant? I was thinking that I'd run the engine at operating temperature with the heater on high, and have the radiator drain plug open, making sure I didn't overheat the car, but has anyone else done it this way? Secondly, is it really that big of a deal to add Toyota red coolant? I don't mind going to get some, I was just wondering how much of a difference people say it makes. Thank you.

eh... i just bought my Gs300.. have you just tried to put the water hose in the coolant line going to the block and letting it run until all the dirty or old coolant washes away? because if you do that, not only will you have it clean, but you will have fresh water? i dunno.. don't quote me.... i always take mine to a service shop. for quality.

Absolutely do not run the engine with the drain open!!!!! You may seize up your water pump. Most water pumps, whether automotive, plumbing, well water, etc. have one thing in common. They need to have water circulating to keep cool and lubricated.

You were on the right track when you rightly figured out that there was only 25% in the system. So you are smarter than you realized. But here it is for anyone interested:

1) Flush.

2) Drain.

3) Close drain petcock.

4) Look up capacity of system (not just radiator).

5) Measure, Add pure undiluted anti-freeze at 1/2 the total capacity of the system.

6) Add water to nearly fill the radiator.

7) Run engine to normal operating temperature. The level in the radiator will drop as you work the air out of the system.

8) Important. Keep adding water until level stabilizes.

You can buy a kit to do a "power flush". It's just a T fitting that you splice into the the heater hose. It has a connection for your garden hose. I'm a believer in using the type of anti-freeze recommended by the manufacturer. Does not cost that much more considering how long it lasts. One less thing to worry about.

Excellent resource here: Repair Manual, Capacities Chart.

I have GS300 second gen.

First, my experience is that you only have to open the drain plug under the radiator, and give it time to drain. Most of the old fluid will come out. Use your mouth (big lungs) or ore preferably pressurized air blowing into the filler hole, that will take out about another litre or so. What’s left now, is insignificant.

If you change your coolant in due time, you don't have flush the system, the fluid should be clear looking.

Secondly, is it really that big of a deal to add Toyota red coolant? The very most important thing is that you do not mix red coolant with the blue or green type, that might cause a jelly-like substance in your coolant system, real bad $$$$.

As an emergency or temporary solution, you could use any after market coolant that is red, but never ever blue or green, the yellow propylene type, I don't know, but probably not. Most red coolants meet the same specifications. The problem is to verify that the particular after market coolant that you are buying, is identical with the Toyota spec.

/Råger