Theft Of My Front And Rear Lexus Emblems

Hi All,

I guess some punka$$ kids went on a rampage yesterday and stole the emblems off of about 20 cars in my neighborhood yesterday.

Needless to say they hit my 07 IS250.... got the emblem off the front grill and the emblem off the trunk.

THey didnt take the Lexus or the IS250. Just the 2 L's.

They used a screwdriver and seemed to have done a pretty clean job.

My questions are , can anyone link me to a place were i could get some nice emblems at a decent price. I prefer stock looking ones.

Secondly, there seems to be the adhesive left under the where the logo used to sit, I guess i am going to have to clean that off before i can put on a new one.

What products can i use to remove the adhesive and not damage the paint.

Thanks in advance for your help,

It sounds funny to say but i feel totally violated.

Thanks,

Schitzo in montreal.

ps. they also made off with the V and O at the end of the VOLVO (wifes car), they left the VOL.

Do you happen to have a low or zero deductible on comprehensive insurance coverage? If you do, professional replacement of your emblems might be covered at a low or no cost.

I lost countless Mercedes hood ornaments in the 70s and 80s -- I once even caught an about 10 year old kid trying to break the star off the hood during daylight hours in my own driveway. All of those hood ornaments were replaced by my insurer at no cost to me.

The dental floss works to take the emblems off, but its not going to remove leftover adhesive, you need a solvent for that.

At least they didn't screw up the paint!

Goof off, Goo gone, soak it good. There may be some rigorous finger nail work involoved, and maybe after all that some cleaner wax to finish getting that last little bit.

Thanks all for the responses, i ended up ordering the 2 emblems directly from my local lexus dealer, about 115$ Canadian for the Pair.

Ebay sellers were around 70-80, but i dont want to wait for shipping or have the finish peel and crack off if it's a lower quality item.

I will try the goo gone solvent and some elbow grease.

I think there may be a little spot on the rear where the screwdriver scraped through the paint down to the bare metal!!!!

I guess once I get the adhesive off, i will have to touch up that area before i put on the new emblem (to avoid rust ?).

does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks again to all for the advice and comments, its good to know there are good folks out there.

Cheers,

Schitzo

in Montreal, Canada

Give it a good spraying with the goo gone or better yet blot the goo gone on and let it sit you may need to re apply. That stuff is great I have used it for all kinds of things. You do not want to rub it to hard to try to get the adh. off as you may scratch your paint. Just let the goo gone take it off by reapplying. It will work and I would touch up the paint first.

By the way even if you have a 0 or low Comp deductible it is not a good idea to file small claims on your insurance. Most companies will not surcharge you for small comp claims but they can affect your rates. Windshields and glass losses are a little different but most use a dollar amount for rates. Just FYI I know you did not mention filing a claim so was not directed at you. :)

Give it a good spraying with the goo gone or better yet blot the goo gone on and let it sit you may need to re apply. That stuff is great I have used it for all kinds of things. You do not want to rub it to hard to try to get the adh. off as you may scratch your paint. Just let the goo gone take it off by reapplying. It will work and I would touch up the paint first.

By the way even if you have a 0 or low Comp deductible it is not a good idea to file small claims on your insurance. Most companies will not surcharge you for small comp claims but they can affect your rates. Windshields and glass losses are a little different but most use a dollar amount for rates. Just FYI I know you did not mention filing a claim so was not directed at you. :)

Yeah I try to avoid claiming on insurace. At all costs. Being relatively young I need to do all that I can to keep my premiums down.

I will snap a few before and after pics

A.

In Montreal

I thought it'd be cool to take off my letters and have a smooth surface. Got the "L" off, and then found out under the "E" that there's a hole in there. So hurried up and put the "E" back on, but there was no adhesive left on the "L." I wound up having the dealer re-append it on for me, at no charge. I know, however, you needed to replace yours. Is the dealer going to charge you to re-append the letters?

I thought it'd be cool to take off my letters and have a smooth surface. Got the "L" off, and then found out under the "E" that there's a hole in there. So hurried up and put the "E" back on, but there was no adhesive left on the "L." I wound up having the dealer re-append it on for me, at no charge. I know, however, you needed to replace yours. Is the dealer going to charge you to re-append the letters?

The rear l emblem has 2 little prongs that stick out those fit into two little holes ok the trunk there is no way to get it wrong.

The front one doesn't have the prongs but the backing is similar in size and shape to the emblem.

I was thinking of getting rid ofthe lexus and is250 but if there are holes I will leave them on.

With regard to removing the goop that was left I put on a whole lot of googone. It still took a plastic scraped. Took well over a half hour to get the fgoop off.

The googone helped with the last little bits of residual glue on the body, the chunky rubbery stuff isn't removed at all by the solvent. I reapplied several times and let it soak to no avail.