#1 margo57

margo57

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Model: 2007 LS 460

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

:( Just spent $128 at the dealer for an oil change on a Lexus LS4 60. Is there a less expensive way to change the oil?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 eightyfour

eightyfour

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Model: 2007 LS460L

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

:( Just spent $128 at the dealer for an oil change on a Lexus LS4 60. Is there a less expensive way to change the oil?

Buy your oil and filter, take it to an oil change station they will charge you $20 to $25 to change the oil and filter. Works for me.

#3 SW03ES

SW03ES

Official LOC Detailaholic

• Management
  • 18,612 posts
  • Model: GS350 AWD Lux
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

Anybody can change the oil. I'd find an independent mechanic who services a lot of Toyota & Lexus vehicles and establish a relationship with them for all your maintenance if you don't want what the dealership has to offer.

Its a $70,000 car, you don't want to take it to Jiffy Lube but there are plenty of options.

#4 kimseongjae

kimseongjae

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Model: ls460

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

I TOO WAS SHOCKED TO FIND THE LEXUS FOLLOWING THE FOOTSTEPS OF BMW AND BENZ WHEN IT CAME TO REG. SECHEDULED SERVICE. I CALLED THE DEALER TO FIND THAT ONLY THING REPLACED ON THE CAR WAS THE OIL AND THE FILTER FOR $180- I LIVE IN LOS ANGELES. ALL OTHER SERVICES PERFORMED WAS JUST CHECKING. HAVING BEEN A PREVIOUS TOYOTA OWNER, NOT MUCH GOES WRONG WITH A CAR- IF IT DOES, THEN YOU KNOW TO TAKE IT TO A DEALER.

JUST TAKE IT TO YOUR REPUTABLE CAR REPAIR SHOP. IT DOES TAKE ABOUT 8 QT. OF OIL SO MY SHOP CHARGES ME $40. DO NOT TAKE IT TO A PLACE LIKE JIFFY LUBE. MOST OF THE WORKER WILL NOT BE FAMILIER WITH EXTER STEPS TO IN ORDER TO ACCESS THE OIL FILTER WHICH HAS NO CANISTER.

#5 SW03ES

SW03ES

• Management
  • 18,612 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

Its a luxury car...why would you be surprised when service is comparable in cost to BMW and Mercedes when the cars are comparable in cost as well?

Please don't type in all caps...

#6 Stuart S

Stuart S

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Model: 2007 RX350 AWD, 2007 LS460

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

My friendly Lexus dealer charges only 47.99 for an oil/filter change with dino (non-synthetic) oil. What a deal!
That's why I take my 2007 LS460 to my Toyota dealer, who has an internet coupon for an oil/filter change for only $17.95 for a V-8 using a genuine Toyota filter and conventional oil. It is the same filter used by Lexus. Lexu$; it not only sounds expensive...

#7 SW03ES

SW03ES

• Management
  • 18,612 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

Actually I think $47.50 is very reasonable for an oil change at the Lexus dealer.

You have to think about the source. You can't expect Nordstrom to charge the same for a pair of socks as Wal-mart would...even if they are the same socks. Nordstrom spends more money on decor, location, comfort, training their staff, paying their staff who tend to be more experienced in customer service. Totally different operations.

As it is for the Lexus vs Toyota dealer.

For the Lexus dealer to run their operation with all the additional overhead they probably have the same profit margin on that oil change as the Toyota dealer.

#8 Stuart S

Stuart S

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

Actually I think $47.50 is very reasonable for an oil change at the Lexus dealer.

You have to think about the source. You can't expect Nordstrom to charge the same for a pair of socks as Wal-mart would...even if they are the same socks. Nordstrom spends more money on decor, location, comfort, training their staff, paying their staff who tend to be more experienced in customer service. Totally different operations.

For the Lexus dealer to run their operation with all the additional overhead they probably have the same profit margin on that oil change as the Toyota dealer.

Here's my $0.02: "A penny saved is a penny earned." I understand your rationale, but I disagree. I can't justify spending almost 3 times as much at a Lexus dealer for the identical service from a Toyota dealer - it would be different if Lexus wasn't Toyota, but they're the same corporate entity. The Lexus "amenities" are nice - Starbucks coffee, USA Today, PC access, HDTV - but since I already had them before I left home, they're worth zip to me. Plus, my Toyota dealer is more convenient, being much closer to my home. The Lexus service might be worth a 25 or 30 percent upcharge, but 267%? Not in today's economy. If Lexus is to survive on their non-warranty service, they need to be more realistic and competitive.

#9 SW03ES

SW03ES

• Management
  • 18,612 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

Oh I'm not saying you should do it...I'm just saying you have to understand why the pricing is the way that it is. If the benefits have no value to you then you shouldn't spend the money.

Lexus is owned by Toyota, but it is not Toyota.

If Lexus is to survive on their non-warranty service, they need to be more realistic and competitive.

Most Lexus owners are happy to just spend the money at the dealer and never even go through this thought process... they'll be fine. Thats what all luxury car dealers charge...

#10 LTP

LTP

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Model: LS460

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

Here's my $0.02: "A penny saved is a penny earned." I understand your rationale, but I disagree. I can't justify spending almost 3 times as much at a Lexus dealer for the identical service from a Toyota dealer - it would be different if Lexus wasn't Toyota, but they're the same corporate entity. The Lexus "amenities" are nice - Starbucks coffee, USA Today, PC access, HDTV - but since I already had them before I left home, they're worth zip to me. Plus, my Toyota dealer is more convenient, being much closer to my home. The Lexus service might be worth a 25 or 30 percent upcharge, but 267%? Not in today's economy. If Lexus is to survive on their non-warranty service, they need to be more realistic and competitive.

I agree with you 100%; buying a Lexus does not means we agree for them to rip-off customers. I pay about $300 for oil change at Lexus dealer of Santa Clara last month. My car has only 16000 miles but I will go to Toyota dealer for oil change next time to save money.

#11 SW03ES

SW03ES

• Management
  • 18,612 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

Absolutely, thats why you have the right to take it wherever you want.

You didn't pay $300 for an oil change, that was a 5k maintenance package, oil change, tire rotation, a bunch of inspections, a loaner, and a carwash and vacuum. Still expensive definately. You'll pay $100 or so for that service at Toyota and get no loaner, I oay $75 at my independent shop with no loaner and not including any oil (I bring my own). $300 is high though, even for a Lexus dealer.

#12 2007ls460

2007ls460

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Model: 2007 ls460

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

I change my own oil and the parts alone cost about $65. Mobil 1 or Toyota synthetic oil (0W-20 or 5W-20) cost $6/qrt and the toyota filter element about $10. My 2007 ls460 owners manual recommends 0W-20 oil for better gas mileage and that is what I use.

When I did my second oil change at 10K, my dealer charged me $149 - that is when I decided to do my own.

to others at this posting:
I don't understand why anyone would go aganist the recommendation of Lexus and use a mineral based oil.

#13 rlx101

rlx101

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Model: es300

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

if i could afford to pay $50-70K cash for a car then i would not be worried about saving a few bucks on the oil change... may be its just me.

besides, DIY oil change or at the 3rd party shop will probably void your warranty if something happens with the engine. Lexus will not have documented oil changes in their system and may use it as a reason to not cover certain things..

#14 WhitSTer

WhitSTer

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Model: '08 LS460

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

if i could afford to pay $50-70K cash for a car then i would not be worried about saving a few bucks on the oil change... may be its just me.

besides, DIY oil change or at the 3rd party shop will probably void your warranty if something happens with the engine. Lexus will not have documented oil changes in their system and may use it as a reason to not cover certain things..

Actually that isn't true anymore. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products.
A lot of dealers were trying to use this arguement to 'extort' owners into using their servicing.

http://en.wikipedia....ss_Warranty_Act

As long as you keep some sort of written records on the maintenance you yourself did, the warranty remains in effect.

Whit

#15 Stuart S

Stuart S

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

Oops! I already replied - see my August 2009 comments.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have