Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

Hey, guys. I have a '99 GS 400 and it seems that the accelerator pedal position sensor is on its way out...when I push down the gas it lurches a little until it finally reacts and at one point it totally gave out (luckily right around the block from my house), but having to drive back at 5mph sucked regardless. The car works now with the exception of the sensor being fickle soo I'm expecting it to give out eventually. Does anyone know how much this is going to cost me? I rather not have to wait until I'm stranded somewhere. :\ Any insight would be awesome. Thanks

If it is like my 00 LS400, there may be two sensors -- a pedal position sensor and a throttle position sensor. The two work together. It is hard to tell which is defective -- the "PPS" or the "TPS". I had both the PPS and the TPS replaced on my 00 LS a few weeks ago - The TPS was $113.99 and the "PPS" was $343.72. The TPS tested as bad and the PPS tested as marginal so I had them both replaced -- total including labor and diagnosis was about $670 before tax at the indie Lexus repair shop I've used the past 12-13 years.

I almost got stranded too ... I stopped driving the car until I had it fixed.

If it is like my 00 LS400, there may be two sensors -- a pedal position sensor and a throttle position sensor. The two work together. It is hard to tell which is defective -- the "PPS" or the "TPS". I had both the PPS and the TPS replaced on my 00 LS a few weeks ago - The TPS was $113.99 and the "PPS" was $343.72. The TPS tested as bad and the PPS tested as marginal so I had them both replaced -- total including labor and diagnosis was about $670 before tax at the indie Lexus repair shop I've used the past 12-13 years.

Yeah, thank god I was just around the block...Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

• 2 months later...

Where Did You get the PPS ?

Do You have any reference Site so I can get it online ?

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I got the PPS replaced. 349 for the part. Lame, but the ride is so much better now.

• 9 months later...

Yeah, I got the PPS replaced. 349 for the part. Lame, but the ride is so much better now.

Hey so when your PPS was going out did you get a check engine light? I think mines going out too

Hey so when your PPS was going out did you get a check engine light? I think mines going out too

I found your post after your request by PM so here is the doc you asked for that describes how to test the PPS and TPS.

THANKS man right on ;)

• 3 months later...

Hey, guys. I have a '99 GS 400 and it seems that the accelerator pedal position sensor is on its way out...when I push down the gas it lurches a little until it finally reacts and at one point it totally gave out (luckily right around the block from my house), but having to drive back at 5mph sucked regardless. The car works now with the exception of the sensor being fickle soo I'm expecting it to give out eventually. Does anyone know how much this is going to cost me? I rather not have to wait until I'm stranded somewhere. :\ Any insight would be awesome. Thanks

i have a 98 gs400 and been having the same problem so i went to my mechanic and got a diagnostic and got a p1120 code (accel. pedal position sensor) he called the dealer to find out how much would the job be for me and was told approx. $500. I went home and called the dealership to make an appointment i was told that it is a recall and it will be replaced free of charge. My appointment is for tomorrow so i will keep you updated on what happens to see if it the problem was fixed.

• 1 month later...

i have a 98 gs400 and been having the same problem so i went to my mechanic and got a diagnostic and got a p1120 code (accel. pedal position sensor) he called the dealer to find out how much would the job be for me and was told approx. $500. I went home and called the dealership to make an appointment i was told that it is a recall and it will be replaced free of charge. My appointment is for tomorrow so i will keep you updated on what happens to see if it the problem was fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone know of a good source for the Pedal Position and Throttle Position Sensors for a 1999 GS300 that doesn't cost a mint? I will be testing them this weekend.

TIA,

F

Sewell Lexus in Dallas has some of the best prices I've seen including shipping: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Service/GS300-1999/5781.html I've bought parts from them several times and have found them to be helpful and quick.

Register on the Sewell website with your forum member name to get even better prices.

Sewell Lexus in Dallas has some of the best prices I've seen including shipping: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Service/GS300-1999/5781.html I've bought parts from them several times and have found them to be helpful and quick.

Register on the Sewell website with your forum member name to get even better prices.

Thanks for the tip. I checked the throttle control motor, throttle position sensor, and pedal position sensor of the 1999 GS300 per your *pdf link in this thread. Only the pedal position sensor was out of spec...min of 1640 ohm vs. 1532 ohm actual. I have yet to calibrate the throttle position sensor because I don't know the correct setting voltage for the 1999 GS300...have read it's either 0.65VDC or 0.72-0.74VDC. Perhaps someone can chime in with the correct value.

The car would usually run okay as long as I gently apply the gas while keeping the engine speed to less than 2000 rpm. Fast stabbling of the accelerator pedal would often cause a loss control of the throttle plate in the throttle body (engine speed drop to idle or a few quick revs up to about 2500 rpm). Flooring the gas will allow the mechanical throttle cable to slightly open the throttle plate, allowing the car to crawl around 30 mph. I also hear a slight buzzing sound from the throttle control motor when I turn the switch to ON without starting the engine. The noise becomes louder once I get any kind of slight movement in the pedal position sensor. This tells me that the pedal position sensor is throwing out some strange signal. Does anyone know which output wires on the pedal position sensor can be connected to an oscilloscope so that I can see if this thing is operating properly during normal driving condition? I hoping I can tap into these wires at the ECU inside the car.

BTW, your link was for the throttle position sensor. I can get this item at Autozone. The part that I need to secure is the pedal position sensor that is locate on the opposite side of the throttle position sensor (near the firewall).

• 1 year later...

• 1 year later...