Overheating

ok guys my lexus is kinda overheating a little bit. its right on the line (top line) of the 2 center lines. my radiator fan is slow. my previous cars (not lexus) radiator fans were faster. and i see that the radiator fan motor has 2 hoses but i dont know if its air, water or oil on throught those hoses. how does the radiator fan works. im gon to change the thermostat to a 170F one. or wat else can it be to make my car overheat like that. sometimes it overheats more.

It is a hydraulic fluid powered fan.... the fluid at the power steering resevoir should be at proper level. A cooling system pressure check should be done to determine if there is a leak. The coolant itself should be 50/50 water to coolant. Check the rad cap as sometimes they fail. Monitor coolant resevoir and add 50/50 to eliminate any air lock. Fan blades should be intact. Sometimes the rad gets plugged. A rad. shop can do all this for you for about 1 hour shop time and depending on the problem you re already in a shop to have it worked on.

ok guys my lexus is kinda overheating a little bit. its right on the line (top line) of the 2 center lines. my radiator fan is slow. my previous cars (not lexus) radiator fans were faster. and i see that the radiator fan motor has 2 hoses but i dont know if its air, water or oil on throught those hoses. how does the radiator fan works. im gon to change the thermostat to a 170F one. or wat else can it be to make my car overheat like that. sometimes it overheats more.

The power steering pump has two sections, one for the power steering. The other is for the fan. There is a solinoid valve located on the pump which controls the flow of pressurized oil to the fan motor. The electronic control unit is located inside the passenger compartment, near the glove box. It uses a temp sensor to determine when to open the solinoid, which causes the fan to spin at full speed.

The power steering pump has two sections, one for the power steering. The other is for the fan. There is a solinoid valve located on the pump which controls the flow of pressurized oil to the fan motor. The electronic control unit is located inside the passenger compartment, near the glove box. It uses a temp sensor to determine when to open the solinoid, which causes the fan to spin at full speed.

good info guys. im new to lexus and they are more complicated. my previous cars were hondas and they are so easy to fix or to mess with. wat should i do to the electronic control? can you explain me please.

It is a hydraulic fluid powered fan.... the fluid at the power steering resevoir should be at proper level. A cooling system pressure check should be done to determine if there is a leak. The coolant itself should be 50/50 water to coolant. Check the rad cap as sometimes they fail. Monitor coolant resevoir and add 50/50 to eliminate any air lock. Fan blades should be intact. Sometimes the rad gets plugged. A rad. shop can do all this for you for about 1 hour shop time and depending on the problem you re already in a shop to have it worked on.

i did a fllush myself to the rad. but ima take my car to a shop so they can do it the way it has to be done. thanks for your advise.

• 5 months later...

so i have a 95 es 300 the rad cracked so i put a new one in but i put a bigger one in 10mm bigger then stock it ran fine and then it started overheating really bad just sitting there at an idle and if i drove around for more then 10 min it starts overheating. im gonna go and check the powersteering fluid (thats crazy) but im gonna replace the thermostat too but i cant find it i was told its at the end of the bottom rad hose. but thats not where its at any other info would really help thank you very much.

i did a fllush myself to the rad. but ima take my car to a shop so they can do it the way it has to be done. thanks for your advise.

im gonna replace the thermostat too but i cant find it i was told its at the end of the bottom rad hose. but thats not where its at any other info would really help thank you very much.

You are probably looking at the wrong end of the bottom rad hose. The thermostat is at the other end of the bottom hose, where it connects to the water pump. You'll need to remove the front passenger side wheel to get access to it.

im gonna replace the thermostat too but i cant find it i was told its at the end of the bottom rad hose. but thats not where its at any other info would really help thank you very much.

You are probably looking at the wrong end of the bottom rad hose. The thermostat is at the other end of the bottom hose, where it connects to the water pump. You'll need to remove the front passenger side wheel to get access to it.

I may be wrong on this, but I think the thermostat location was moved to the top of the engine starting with the 94 aluminum block engine. On the iron block engines (93 and earlier), the thermostat was located at the lower left side of the engine. This location did require the wheel removal to get to it.

I may be wrong on this, but I think the thermostat location was moved to the top of the engine starting with the 94 aluminum block engine. On the iron block engines (93 and earlier), the thermostat was located at the lower left side of the engine. This location did require the wheel removal to get to it.

You could be right.

• 4 weeks later...

You could be right.

sorry maybe im just dumb but i cant find it on the top and there are only two hoses on the rad one that you put rad fluid in on the top of the motor and one on the bottom i do believe it goes to the head