Odometer Reset From 165k To 0 Miles - Help!

B.Lee

Too bad you didn't go behind the center console to track the wiring all the way when you were disconnecting the phone. Sounds like the aftermarket wiring and your fix is highly suspect here. Check with Lexus as to whether they can reflash the cluster.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wold you even cut and remove wires??

You could have just removed the phone and called it a day!! :D

That IS the only reasonable culprit.

I could have. Now everyone is more focused on trying to convince me I have no idea what I am doing. Well, think what you want.

I traced all the wires/cords (before I cut/removed) any of them and they were all part of the hands free system. Remember, this was an aftermarket set-up. I removed 2 wires from the fuse block that were laid in the fuse slot and then the fuse was pushed into position on top of the wires. Everything I removed was connected to the handsfree set up. I removed all the wires but cut the ones going down going behind the console to where the handsfree mechanism mounted. If cutting wires would have caused the odometer to reset then why does it still work? It still registers mileage as your driving.

Right?

Too bad you didn't go behind the center console to track the wiring all the way when you were disconnecting the phone. Sounds like the aftermarket wiring and your fix is highly suspect here. Check with Lexus as to whether they can reflash the cluster.

I have a call in to the local dlr about reprograming the mileage. I had it through state inspection 2 weeks ago so the mileage was documented then. Waiting for the service advisor to call me back. We'll see what he has to say when he calls back.

Brian

Yes I am curious too. I have some mileage discrepancies I cannot explain either.

Carfax says that my mileage was at some point reported as 35,000, Lexus service shows work at 30,000-

When I bought the car the dealer said that carfax may have transposed a number (a 3 instead of 2)...

Definitely one of those things that make you go Hmmmmm moments!

Is there any visual inspections that could prove its under 30K? (I just hit 27K)

:o :angry: <_<

I have a call in to the local dlr about reprograming the mileage. I had it through state inspection 2 weeks ago so the mileage was documented then. Waiting for the service advisor to call me back. We'll see what he has to say when he calls back.

Brian

Brian

Advisor called me back and stated they wouldn't touch the car. So I have now contact & filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I'm sure it will only take 6 months to hear anything back. If I do I will keep you guys posted.

B.

Even if they cant do anything about it I'm sure they would like to know about it.

Some more pictures to show you what I was doing. I'm not sure if there is a way to caption each of them but it shows the fuse panel I am referring to and the wires I cut and what they look like.

Brian.

post-91828-1239672757_thumb.jpg

post-91828-1239672796_thumb.jpg

post-91828-1239672812_thumb.jpg

post-91828-1239672828_thumb.jpg

post-91828-1239672844_thumb.jpg

post-91828-1239672897_thumb.jpg

I wonder if giving us a step-by-step on how you set you odo to 0 is illegal in some way.....

He didn't purposefully reset it to 0...

and, yes, purposefully resetting the ODO to 0 to con somebody is illegal

Yea what he did is not illegal at all I wouldnt think. I just wonder if somehow he could give us a stop-by-step on how to do it would it be. But I get the feeling this is a freak accident, not something that is easily repeatable.

ya i mean even if he did give us a step by step on what he did to our car, wat are the chances that it would happen to ours too ? (like 1:100,000,000)

Geez, you guys talk about it like it a good thing. I'm dyin' ova heeya trying to figure the consequences of this. :wacko:

ya i mean even if he did give us a step by step on what he did to our car, wat are the chances that it would happen to ours too ? (like 1:100,000,000)

Geez, you guys talk about it like it a good thing. I'm dyin' ova heeya trying to figure the consequences of this. :wacko:

well i mean whats the worst they can do? you have called them (hopefully) and your trying to take certian precautions to make sure it gets reset. what have you done so far?

well i mean whats the worst they can do? you have called them (hopefully) and your trying to take certian precautions to make sure it gets reset. what have you done so far?

I have a call in to Lexus Cust. Serv. - 1.800.255.3987. I spoke to a gentleman that is going to "research" the issue and reply back to me in 48 hours. I'll keep the group posted.

I have a call in to Lexus Cust. Serv. - 1.800.255.3987. I spoke to a gentleman that is going to "research" the issue and reply back to me in 48 hours. I'll keep the group posted.

ya see no need to freak out :D

they've got you doccumented and everything. you'll prob have to take it back to the shop (wonder how much thats gonna cost :unsure: )

ya see no need to freak out :D

they've got you doccumented and everything. you'll prob have to take it back to the shop (wonder how much thats gonna cost :unsure: )

I got a call back from the guy at Lexus Cust. Service about 20 mins. later - VERY FAST REPLY. He states he talked to a tech (probably from the in-house tech line dept.) and that is has been known/documented to have happend several times. There is no known correction/cause for the resetting of the odometer. He stated since the veh. has over 100K miles then there shoudl be no concern/interest from the state (TN) government in regards to odometer fraud. He advised me I have the following options:

1.) Buy a new cluster and have it reprogrammed with estimated mileage

* Why woudl I do that if I can just get mine reprogrammed?

2.) Buy a used cluster and have an aftermarket company reprogram to estimated mileage mine reset at.

* Again - why woudl I do that if I can get mine reprogrammed?

3.) Have and aftermarket company that works on clusters and has programming capabilities reprogram odometer to the estimated mileage.

* This is the cheaper option but finding a company that is wiling to do this is the hard part. I guess I will draft a document with time/miles and sign/notorize it as mileage history to the best of my knowledge so that it will be avail. for the next owner.