Change Transmission Fluid For '99 Gs 300?

hello all,

i got question about change transmission fluid for '99 GS 300. do i need to remove oil pan? how many quarts do i needd? any help, will be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance...

I believe a regular drain and fill drains about 2.3 quarts... thats if you just pull the drain plug and let it flow out... its only like an eighth of the fluid though. Do a search, this topic has been covered a few times you'll find a plethora of information on here.

hello all,

i got question about change transmission fluid for '99 GS 300. do i need to remove oil pan? how many quarts do i needd? any help, will be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance...

Good question - I have been trying to find out the same for my 1998 LS400 (104K miles) and have the following information:

1. Our Lexus dealer's service advisor informed me that the transmission filter for my car is just a metal sieve and does not need replacement; there are magnets in the pan that will catch any metal shards. Thus the "drain and refill" recommendation in the owners' manual will require just draining the pan and refilling with 2 quarts of the ATF. She did, however, recommend a flush (using their BG machine) since the fluid is "dark".

3. I then spoke with a master technician at the dealership. He said that if I change the oil regularly, then I can keep going with the drain and fill as indicated in #1 above.

4. My research on the internet, and from reading books, show sharply divided opinions regarding transmission flushes causing problems since the machines could dislodge debris.

5. A local expert mechanic told me that he has a flushing machine that will do a fluid exchange without putting pressure. It works via tubes that go into the transmission filler opening - alternate cycles of sucking fluid out and then putting new fluid in, until the color turns "Toyota red". He said it takes him about 13 quarts to achieve this.

6. I found a really nice tutorial on this site, that seems to make sense for flusing - letting the transmission pump work in it's normal manner and put dirty fluid out through the cooler pipe, while the mechanic/owner replaces the fluid via the filler hole. I am inclined to use this option.

Hope this helps. Please let me know what you find out.

Sincerely,

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
hello all,

thanks in advance...

Good question - I have been trying to find out the same for my 1998 LS400 (104K miles) and have the following information:

1. Our Lexus dealer's service advisor informed me that the transmission filter for my car is just a metal sieve and does not need replacement; there are magnets in the pan that will catch any metal shards. Thus the "drain and refill" recommendation in the owners' manual will require just draining the pan and refilling with 2 quarts of the ATF. She did, however, recommend a flush (using their BG machine) since the fluid is "dark".

3. I then spoke with a master technician at the dealership. He said that if I change the oil regularly, then I can keep going with the drain and fill as indicated in #1 above.

4. My research on the internet, and from reading books, show sharply divided opinions regarding transmission flushes causing problems since the machines could dislodge debris.

5. A local expert mechanic told me that he has a flushing machine that will do a fluid exchange without putting pressure. It works via tubes that go into the transmission filler opening - alternate cycles of sucking fluid out and then putting new fluid in, until the color turns "Toyota red". He said it takes him about 13 quarts to achieve this.

6. I found a really nice tutorial on this site, that seems to make sense for flusing - letting the transmission pump work in it's normal manner and put dirty fluid out through the cooler pipe, while the mechanic/owner replaces the fluid via the filler hole. I am inclined to use this option.

Hope this helps. Please let me know what you find out.

Sincerely,

Jay

Hello Dr. Jay,

I just drained and refill with 2 quarts yesterday.. I shift to R, N, D, 4, 3 and L each about 4 seconds. that's it!...been driving for the weekend, car shifting OK.

thanks again...

especially, thanks to djspawn00 for email that DIY site... GREAT HELP!!!!! :)