'95-'97 Ls400 Vs. '09 Camry/accord

w140amg

Haven't driven a 2009 Camcord, but I have driven a 2005 Accord V6 EX extensively (when it was brand new). There is really just no comparison. My '97 LS400 with 95k miles on it redefined my definition of refinement.

The Camry/Accord, while not much fun to drive, will still probably be light years more fun to drive than the LS400. The LS400 is a great car to get you home in comfort after a long day's work, but it rarely puts a smile on my face by the way it makes me feel when I drive it.

The LS400 is not immune to the increased maintenance costs of an older used car, although it is probably considerably better than most.

Good luck!

The technology hasnt changed all that much - OBDII is still used to diagnose the new cars.

Consider the cost of your LS back in the day brand new - the materials and methodology used to build the LS still surpasses some of these new cars today -keep in mind these cars were built with comfort and Luxury in mind, not sportiness (just look at the size of the anti-sway bars front and rear on your LS...Puny!!) i have taken a serious look at the interior of the door panels matched to the door with all the little extras to prevent rattling and road noise, the way the seats hold thier shape after 13 years of abuse, the brightness of the dashlights with no flickering or issues, even the quitness of the engine with 200k + miles on it - the transmissions in the LS are a work of art, and the company that makes them are proud of it! - even with the mild maintanance we do on these cars, its better than the 30,000 hit you will take on a brand new Camry/Accord.

my wife has a 2002 Honda Accord EX fully loaded we bought with only 30k 2 years ago.

it has had a tranny recall. (still shifts hard)

rear wheel bearing hubs replaced.

noisy engine under accell.

shocks replaced.

it's an ok car to get around town with, and a little sporty...but to travel long distances? nich!

cheers to your research!

;)

It's all relative, though. What kind of car are you driving now?

When I drove a Miata, going on a road trip with the Accord was a big treat! But now that I have the LS400, the Accord seems like a noisy crude piece of junk. :)

Well ... you are comparing two totally different animals, for sure ..... I think it depends upon what you want out of a car. If all you can think about is economy, then you are going to be unhappy with the fact that the Lexus requires Premium grade fuel.

If you are in the Lexus and you have a bad accident, you are going to fair much better in the Lexus than in a smaller, lighter car ..... passive insurance, you might say .... you will not care at all about Premium fuel at that point ....

In the Lexus you will travel safely and when you arrive at your destination, you will do so with dignity. Only problem is ... if you are meeting some people for a meal at a restaurant, they might expect you to cover the bill ..... ( they have no idea what you REALLY spent to get the Lexus ) ....

My best friend is a mega-tight-wad .... he would NEVER buy a Lexus .... but he gets REAL HAPPY if we go somewhere and I drive [ us ] there in my LS400 ..... but he is the kind of guy that would complain every time he had to pump Premium fuel into the tank ... I promise. We both have the same job and both make the exact amount of $$ each week .... yet I could care less about buying Premium fuel ... I am a connoisseur of all things that are cool, from the $5,000 watch I wear, to the car I drive ... he, on the other hand, is a hick and could care less. He drives crap ... and I do not. He does not wear a watch at all ... and thinks I am a dope for wearing something like that (it is a bland looking diving watch by IWC ... no flashy Rolex or something) .... He just thinks differently ..... totally ..... why we are such friends sometimes seems a mystery ....

I do not think it is the cars you need to figure out, but YOU that you need to figure out .... I say that with respect and if you could hear my voice, you would know I am being polite .... I offer this up to you as food for thought ......

I just FEEL better when I drive the Lexus ..... I am a car nut, and more specifically, a Lexus nut .... and this car is what makes me happy .... and since we have no promise for tomorrow, I think that if possible, we should live to the fullest .... so this is how I keep a smile on my face ... I am enjoying life ... and ... of course, this is only but one small element of my life .... but it is FUN !!

I must say .... I do respect Honda and Toyota and their products .... I like them also, actually .... but I am most happy when driving my Lexus ...

If you do get the Lexus ... do your homework here and buy it right .... us club members can help you a lot and it is all free ....

all the best to you .... ! (^-^)

I bet even a 90 LS400 with +250k would be nicer than a new accord! :D

The LS is on a completely different level.

Agreed 100%

I have a 95 LS and my inlaws have 08 Camry, HYBRID

I wouldn't want their Camry for my Luxurious and quiet LS over new Camry.

It just feels the difference that camry is more like a city car while LS is an executive vehicle designed for long very comfy trips.

Thats just my 2 cents...

in Nov-Dec i bought my 15 year son old a 2000 Toyota Avalon,, with 167,000 miles on it, for $4700. I was sold on the car before even getting into gear. The engine was so quiet that I could not tell it was running.. No shakes or rattles on start up. and no loud muffler noise. Drove it out of the drive onto an asphalt road, and with four people she was impressive with quality the pickup and ride.. The Avy has a bit of a break wobble when breaking hard. But HEY< I wobble when I come to a stop too> :wub: The car had a nice ride with plenty of leg room.. I figured to put in another grand to bring it up to par. and only needed a timing belt. We did replace the windshield wipers, This "little" car runs so good that the wife and I started looking for a new Avalon for us. We figured to drive the 2000 Avy until the boy turns 16 in April, as we really enjoy it. By the way, the insurance is only like $200.

That all being said. We stopped in at the Honda place and drove a new Accord 6cyl. $33k and within 100 feet were so unimpressed with the ride and sound that wondered how they were able to sell them?? :excl: The salesman in back seat said it was a sportier ride, and if smooth was wanted he would recommend the Ridgeline truck :glare: ... I must admit that I have had shoulder surgery and the bounce and jerks that was in the Honda severely limited my satisfaction.:cries: .

Next door was the Toyota dealer, First thing wife sees is a 2007 Lexus ES, and said we should drive it. I laughed and to humor her took it for a spin... Wow what a diff.. It drove ALMOST as good as the Avalon... LOL but was smaller.. took it back, and drove a NEW Avalon and thought it almost the same as the ES. But they had a LS430 sitting next to the showroom door, Just off lease.. Set down in it. was dirty and unkept. Needed good cleaning, but "what the Hell" still looked good. Jim the Salesman gave me the key, so we could listen to the engine?? Quiet as the old Avalon. (notice how everything points back to the 2000 Avalon??) The damn mirrors would not stay in place when i put it in gear to back up, and figured something wrong with the electrical, Figured it already a bust -_- . Backed out of the parking spot, and hit drive, mirror goes back in original position. (Hummm maybe hold off on the critics for a bit, I think) Put the gearshift in drive and placed my hand on steering wheel. Wow for the first time I felt LUXURY in the woodgrain wheel. Soft Leather on the sides. Did not drive 1/4 mile, and was so pleased with the car that we kept it out for 30 min.

Drives like a dream, So many things that are "feel Good" about the car. Such a smooth acceleration, (not sporty LOL) Easy on my bad shoulder and back. Driver seat actually slid out to give support to my longer legs. Butt warmer turned the wife on.. LOL..

Well anyway this is getting too long. Upon return to the dealer Jim, The salesman, knew he had me over the barrel but sweated thru negotiations for a couple of days. I searched CLUB LEXUS for comments and learned so much about the cars from other members here that I would stay up until 3:30 am researching my DEAL>>> THANKS A LOT FELLAS

At any rate, the car now sets in my Garage and has about 6 coats of wax on it, ^_^ Will not drive it if raining,, (Drive the 2000 Avalon) and spent many hours going thru the countless pages of car manuals.

As a side note. My Doctor has asked me to find one for him, just like mine.. Giving up his Lincoln for this car..

I do enjoy my new LS430l, Am impressed with me things. and the GPS is growing on me daily. Are there some things I don't like.. Sure, but then that gives me something to look forward to on my next Lexus. Maybe they could but a Hood Ornament sticking above like the MB, Big Circle with big "L" in the middle.. LOLL then maybe not... Had my MB back in 1992 :rolleyes:

The wife is wanting to turn her Mercury Van in for a GX470... All this from a 19 year old Avalon

I know I did not mention the 97 LS400, but I think you get the idea... That little Avalon convinced me that Toyota and Lexus was the rout to go...

LOL. Hell of a story. A used LS is absolutely the best bargain out there. As you discovered, nothing beats these cars.

in Nov-Dec i bought my 15 year son old a 2000 Toyota Avalon,, with 167,000 miles on it, for $4700. I was sold on the car before even getting into gear. The engine was so quiet that I could not tell it was running.. No shakes or rattles on start up. and no loud muffler noise. Drove it out of the drive onto an asphalt road, and with four people she was impressive with quality the pickup and ride.. The Avy has a bit of a break wobble when breaking hard. But HEY< I wobble when I come to a stop too> :wub: The car had a nice ride with plenty of leg room.. I figured to put in another grand to bring it up to par. and only needed a timing belt. We did replace the windshield wipers, This "little" car runs so good that the wife and I started looking for a new Avalon for us. We figured to drive the 2000 Avy until the boy turns 16 in April, as we really enjoy it. By the way, the insurance is only like $200.

That all being said. We stopped in at the Honda place and drove a new Accord 6cyl. $33k and within 100 feet were so unimpressed with the ride and sound that wondered how they were able to sell them?? :excl: The salesman in back seat said it was a sportier ride, and if smooth was wanted he would recommend the Ridgeline truck :glare: ... I must admit that I have had shoulder surgery and the bounce and jerks that was in the Honda severely limited my satisfaction.:cries: .

Next door was the Toyota dealer, First thing wife sees is a 2007 Lexus ES, and said we should drive it. I laughed and to humor her took it for a spin... Wow what a diff.. It drove ALMOST as good as the Avalon... LOL but was smaller.. took it back, and drove a NEW Avalon and thought it almost the same as the ES. But they had a LS430 sitting next to the showroom door, Just off lease.. Set down in it. was dirty and unkept. Needed good cleaning, but "what the Hell" still looked good. Jim the Salesman gave me the key, so we could listen to the engine?? Quiet as the old Avalon. (notice how everything points back to the 2000 Avalon??) The damn mirrors would not stay in place when i put it in gear to back up, and figured something wrong with the electrical, Figured it already a bust -_- . Backed out of the parking spot, and hit drive, mirror goes back in original position. (Hummm maybe hold off on the critics for a bit, I think) Put the gearshift in drive and placed my hand on steering wheel. Wow for the first time I felt LUXURY in the woodgrain wheel. Soft Leather on the sides. Did not drive 1/4 mile, and was so pleased with the car that we kept it out for 30 min.

Drives like a dream, So many things that are "feel Good" about the car. Such a smooth acceleration, (not sporty LOL) Easy on my bad shoulder and back. Driver seat actually slid out to give support to my longer legs. Butt warmer turned the wife on.. LOL..

Well anyway this is getting too long. Upon return to the dealer Jim, The salesman, knew he had me over the barrel but sweated thru negotiations for a couple of days. I searched CLUB LEXUS for comments and learned so much about the cars from other members here that I would stay up until 3:30 am researching my DEAL>>> THANKS A LOT FELLAS

At any rate, the car now sets in my Garage and has about 6 coats of wax on it, ^_^ Will not drive it if raining,, (Drive the 2000 Avalon) and spent many hours going thru the countless pages of car manuals.

As a side note. My Doctor has asked me to find one for him, just like mine.. Giving up his Lincoln for this car..

I do enjoy my new LS430l, Am impressed with me things. and the GPS is growing on me daily. Are there some things I don't like.. Sure, but then that gives me something to look forward to on my next Lexus. Maybe they could but a Hood Ornament sticking above like the MB, Big Circle with big "L" in the middle.. LOLL then maybe not... Had my MB back in 1992 :rolleyes:

The wife is wanting to turn her Mercury Van in for a GX470... All this from a 19 year old Avalon

I know I did not mention the 97 LS400, but I think you get the idea... That little Avalon convinced me that Toyota and Lexus was the rout to go...

How do they compare? 14 years of difference in technology...

Thanks

I don't think technology or age are as relevant when comparing vehicles as design concept. Designs concepts vary according to the class of vehicle. LS and Camry are two different classes of vehicles. Hence their design concepts are equally different. Apples and oranges. Flagship/luxury division versus mid size/family car division. Quality of materials / sophistication of design and technology all depend on price point. As for recommendations, both Toyota and Lexus have enviable reliability reputations. My suggestion is, if you want to compare vehicles, select a class and compare within that class. Otherwise your reference points will be out of sync.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove my girlfriend's 2009 Toyota Corolla and my 95 LS was MUCH better; however, the Corolla's steering was "tighter."

1995 LS400 over '09 Corolla.

My LS is extremely smooth and quiet, but very slow accelerating. Maybe Lexus wanted to underpower the car so that it lasts a long time.

Also, how are some Lexus owners getting close to 30 mpg on the highway?? I get 20.9 mpg at 80mph, all highway. If I do 60 mph, I assume I could get 24, but I don't know how some people report >28mpg.

My LS is extremely smooth and quiet, but very slow accelerating. Maybe Lexus wanted to underpower the car so that it lasts a long time.
Your LS must be in poor tune. Your gas mileage is evidence of that. My gas mileage is around 26mpg at 75mph, and around 15-17mpg around town.

My '97 LS is pretty quick, but very reluctant to downshift in "NORM" mode. It "PWR" mode, it downshifts very quickly and seems much more free-breathing. Certainly much faster than any Corolla.

No comparison. I recently rode around for a few hours in a buddy of mine's 08 Camry Hybrid and was extremely dissapointed in it. Not only does he have a bunch of interior trim problems, it rode a lot harder than I thought and in general not nearly as refined as I would have thought. I expected it to be more like my ES.

The only plus for the Camry vs the LS is the Camry is new and has a warranty...

For what a Camry costs though, you could buy an 04-06 LS430...thats what I would do.

My Ls just had a $2300 tune up. Timing belt, wp, plugs, wires, front seals, new ignition coils, new fuel cap, new fuel filter, TB cleaninging.

It's very smooth and I can only hear the tires rolling. The previous owner bought cheap H rated tires (bridgestone Grids...can't wait to replace them for better ones).

I just took a 500 mile trip and averaged 80 miles per hour for 20MPG.

My firend just bought an 09 accord. I'm going to test drive it...

My Ls just had a $2300 tune up. Timing belt, wp, plugs, wires, front seals, new ignition coils, new fuel cap, new fuel filter, TB cleaninging.

It's very smooth and I can only hear the tires rolling. The previous owner bought cheap H rated tires (bridgestone Grids...can't wait to replace them for better ones).

I just took a 500 mile trip and averaged 80 miles per hour for 20MPG.

My firend just bought an 09 accord. I'm going to test drive it...

I just don't see how that can be if you say your car accelerates like a dog. Something is amiss.

This might explain something...

My other cars are:

2008 LS3 Corvette 6 speed

2008 Dodge Charger 5.7L

Driving my gf's Corolla and the LS, I noticed that my LS decelerates too quickly when I get off the gas pedal. Maybe I have a stock brake caliper???

As soon as I ease off the gas on the LS, the speed drops from 80 to 70 in about 3 seconds.

This might explain something...

My other cars are:

2008 LS3 Corvette 6 speed

2008 Dodge Charger 5.7L

Driving my gf's Corolla and the LS, I noticed that my LS decelerates too quickly when I get off the gas pedal. Maybe I have a stock brake caliper???

As soon as I ease off the gas on the LS, the speed drops from 80 to 70 in about 3 seconds.

Thank GOD! A Lexus owner who has something else interesting in the garage! (And not another identical Lexus!)