Key Shell Replacement

JMorton

My plastic ignition key shell broke. I want to buy a new shell, epoxy the old metal key to it, then put the old electronics into it. Where can I buy the new shell for this purpose? About two years ago, I read a post on this site that described how this was done, but now I can't find it. Searching on the word "key" won't work because search terms require a minimum of 4 characters.

Does anyone know how to find such a post?

I bought a brand new shell with an uncut shaft and buttons on ebay for about $25 awhile ago. As I recall, someone was unloading lots of them...maybe still are.

Regards, PK

I tried every - and I mean every - type of epoxy, crazy glue, liquid nail, tape combo. I finally got a local guy to cut me a new key for 85$ listen, i ordered the key and shaft from ebay as well for a wasted 15 bucks. no one would cut a new key from that blank as it didn't unscrew so the electronics could be added. it was really frustrating so I bit the bullet.

I used Sewell Lexus back in 2004 when I got a replacement shell for my broken ’99 RX300 key. I show them at 214-352-8100, down near Love Field around Lemmon and Mockingbird. A picture of what I got back then is at http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts_detail.asp?id=180654.

Regarding replacing just the cover of the key, my recollection was that replacing just the cover didn't seem feasible in my case, but I could be wrong. I know that the metal key itself wouldn't transfer to another case -- it was integral to the old case. But your situation may be different than what I encountered.

You might consider calling Sewell and asking about their blanks, and

It appears they sell parts at their store or from the web site at http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/category.asp. Entering your 2004 RX330, I found several keys for your car at http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts.asp...88&pid=1287. I think you want to end up with a working Lexus Remote Master”, but by using the cheaper “Lexus Key Shell” if possible rather than getting a whole new key. But from their picture, I can’t tell if the “shell” has the holes in it for the buttons – you’ll probably have to ask.

If the “shell” will do the job, they show to charge $57 (http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts_detail.asp?id=88781).

If you have to buy the whole key, it would be $147 (http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts_detail.asp?id=76846).

In both cases, just moving the “transponder” guts from the old key to the new will eliminate any “programming” costs.

That interesting. I was a bit dubious about a $15 OEM key. $85 for a new key is pretty goo. I haven't done anything with our old one really. I will say the current key is duct taped together and though wobbly, works fine.

On closer inspection, the old key looks like a phenolic resin. Won't bore you why, but you can't really glue it. This eBay job appears to be a commodity plastic which will glue with the right solvent glue (melts the plastic)...ABS pipe cement is crude but is usually fairly universal.

If I'm right, I should be able to brake the shaft out of the fake and bond the old one in withe its chip and circuitry.

Regards, PK

You can get a whole new key cut for your car for $40 from toy-lex.com. Then all you have to do is put your electronics in. Very easy, no programming. Or just get a rubber key cover from thejacketstore.com. It will hold your broken case together and also prevent future breaks. That's what I did.

Here is what I found out. I went into my local Lexus dealer 2 months ago and asked about getting a replacement key fob for my 2004 RX330. They gave me the regular $145 speech. Then one of the parts guys told me they would get in blanks in about a month. I went back a month later, and they had them. They took my current key, cut a new one on the spot, and put the electronics from my old key to the new on (just undo a screw and it fits right in). This took 10 minutes and cost me $40. The only difference is that the Lexus logo isn't inscribed on the back of the key.

In other words, call the parts dept of your local dealer and ask if they have blanks in stock. If anything it is worth a shot.

Hope this helps.

My plastic ignition key shell broke. I want to buy a new shell, epoxy the old metal key to it, then put the old electronics into it. Where can I buy the new shell for this purpose? About two years ago, I read a post on this site that described how this was done, but now I can't find it. Searching on the word "key" won't work because search terms require a minimum of 4 characters.

Does anyone know how to find such a post?

Try EBay and type in Key for RX300, and you will find many of them, i just purchased mine this week and waiting it to be shipped out, then i need to find a Auto locksmith to do a laser cut as per the mater key. I was told that i cannot remove the old key and place it in the new shell, but can move the door remotes and place it in the new shell. Hope this helps.

I successfully epoxied my key back together. I used the kind that is used to fix boats...

Too funny! :lol: I was just about to post the exact same thing when I got to your post. I just used marine epoxy to fix mine as well. Seems to be holding up fine so far , but its only been about 2 weeks so we'll see.

• 4 years later...

My experience in March 2013 with a 1999 RX300. I bought a couple of replacement key shells on ebay for $12.99/pair in early 2012. I used the "front" cover (with the gold "L") with my existing keys for about a year before the "back" part (with the three buttons) cracked and became unstable on one of the keys (the other is still hanging on). I just took the new key shell to Ace Hardware yesterday. They charge $25 to cut a "sidewinder" key (new machine that only some Ace's will have). It took the girl about 15 minutes to cut it. I put my transponder in the new shell and it works just fine. This knockoff key is slightly longer than my original, but if it cut the same, it will still work. The plastic does appear to be "cheaper" than the original Lexus key, but the original lasted 13 years, so I'm not worried about the new "cheaper" plastic.

I had that problem and went to my local Locksmith and they had the blade and shell, they were able to cut the key and put the insides from my old shell in and it worked great! Price was great like $32. They said you can also contact them and they can cut the key from the key code (which you can get free from the dealer) or you can mail them the broken blade and they can cut it and mail it back to you. They charge an additional $5.00 to cover shipping anywhere in the US. How cool is that! Oh and while I was there I said I would like an extra key that would just start the car (not wanting the remote part) and they cloned mine. So now I have a spare key that works great it cost like $80-85.

Here is link if you need it www.boydslocksmith.com

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I had that problem and went to my local Locksmith and they had the blade and shell, they were able to cut the key and put the insides from my old shell in and it worked great! Price was great like $32. They said you can also contact them and they can cut the key from the key code (which you can get free from the dealer) or you can mail them the broken blade and they can cut it and mail it back to you. They charge an additional $5.00 to cover shipping anywhere in the US. How cool is that! Oh and while I was there I said I would like an extra key that would just start the car (not wanting the remote part) and they cloned mine. So now I have a spare key that works great it cost like $80-85.

Here is link if you need it www.boydslocksmith.com

Thanks for this referral. Ordered my key on Friday, and it arrived today. Worked on the first try.