Diy On Changing Center Console Bulbs/tranny Gear Indicator Bulb

ok so i just got tired of looking at my burned out bulbs on my center console so i decided to buy all the bulbs since i didnt wanna have to open the center console back up to change another a week later if it burned out. got all bulbs from sewell all prices are with "clublexus" code. i had a spare set i practiced on so i knew what i was doing which is why in some pics you'll see extra switches in background be careful doing this so you dont crack the plastic housing. you will need a small screwdriver set or a jewelers set (makes it easier). hope this helps guys

Power/Snow Bulb # 8499910710 Quantity 1 Price $7.33

Heated Seats Bulb (backlight) # 9001001026 Quantity 1 Price $4.46

Heated Seats Bulb (when on) #8499910130 Quantity 2 Price $7.30 (each)

Traction Bulb # 9001001039 Quantity 1 Price $3.55

First off you have to remove the center console....i didnt make pics of this step as i followed a older post

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...bezel-ring.html

just some pics with console out showing the console switches

PanelAfterRemoval.jpg

the panel with switches (held in by 4 phillips head screws)

BackSideOfPanel.jpg

the panel without switches (i put screw back in so i didnt lose them)

PanelWithoutSwitchesButScrewsBackIn.jpg

ok 1st step: after removing console and unscrewing bracket that holds switches. i started with the VSC switch and worked to the left

lightly pry under bar holding switch in until you can partly slide it up so it bracket holding it in is not quite inside the holder anymore

1stStepBulbReplacement.jpg

2nd step: flip over and do the same to other side. switch should slide out now

2ndStepBulbReplacement.jpg

3rd step: switch removed

3rdStepBulbReplacement.jpg

4th step: white circle is the bulb, takes either a phillips head or a small flathead

4thStepFlatheadScrewdriver.jpg

5th step: unscrew bulb

5thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

6th step: bulb removed

6thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

vsc switch bulb: comes with green cover and all

VSCOffBulb.jpg

7th step:slide a flathead under here and CAREFULLY pry tab up so you can pop the bar under the tab so its not quite sitting in there right (i only took photo of this side but its obvious there are 2 tabs on each side) switch will slide out after doing both sides

7thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

8th step:slide a flathead under here and CAREFULLY pry tab up so you can pop the bar under the tab so its not quite sitting in there right (i only took photo of this side but its obvious there are 2 tabs on each side) switch will slide out after doing both sides

8thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

bulb for heater switch

HeaterSwitchesMainBulb.jpg

9th step: remove bulb, makes the next step easier to do (phillips head)

9thStepFlatheadScrewdriver.jpg

***** ok guys its been brought to my attention something rather silly i somehow seemed to have missed (thank you GuyTelefunken), apparantally you can skip steps 10-15. if you look at steps 13-14, you can see (gain access to) the illumination bulbs (when you turn the heat on/off) and you can just pull them out with a pair of needlenose pliers. not sure how i overlooked this but i did! so u see you can skip 10-15 and just simplify it by pulling the bulbs out the bottom!*****

10th step: now with the switch out slide a flathead under here and CAREFULLY pry tab up so you can pop the bar under the tab so its not quite sitting in there right (you can see how much this one flexes but still be careful) switch will slide out now from itself

10thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

11th step: now when you take this apart it will fall down and 2 metal brackets will come out (they are pictured in step 12)

11thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

12th step: save these and i'll show you how to put back in right (if not heaters wont click and they wont come on....i found out the hard way lol)

12thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

13th step: the bulbs that illuminate when you turn the heaters are housed in here....they simply press out next pic shows better view

13thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

14th step: you can see i have one bulb out and one bulb in just for reference. they literally just push downwards and come out

14thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

• Like 1

heater switches when on bulbs: these are the 2 bulbs that come on when you switch the heaters on

HeaterSwtichesWhenOnBulbs.jpg

15th step: place metal brackets from step 12 back in JUST LIKE THIS OR YOUR SWITCHES WONT CLICK AND YOU'LL HAVE TO TAKE THEM APART AGAIN

15thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

16th step: again slide a small flathead in and lightly pry under bar holding switch in until you can partly slide it up so it bracket holding it in is not quite inside the holder anymore (flip over and do same to other side then switch will slide out)

16thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

17th step:Power/Snow switch removed

17thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

18th step: phillips head

18thStepPhillipsHeadScrewdriver.jpg

19th step:just unscrew bulb

19thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

20th step: bulb removed

20thStepBulbReplacement.jpg

21st step: bulb housing

21stStepBulbReplacement.jpg

power/snow switch bulb

PowerEctSnowButton.jpg

i just replaced the bulbs as i went. reinstall in reverse order guys

all switches lite up now

AllSwitchesLiteUp.jpg

• Like 1

all switches with heaters lite up

SwitchesWithHeatersOn.jpg

AS A BONUS I DID THE TRANNY INDICATOR BULB WHILE I WAS IN THERE SINCE IT SEEMED DULL THE DIY IS BELOW

the bulb # is a 74. i ordered it from www.v-leds.com use the code club lexus for 15% discount. this is the bulb i used http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

****RIGHT NOW THEY ARE OUTTA STOCK ON THAT BULB WHICH IS WHY THE LINK DOESNT WORK.....U CAN USE THIS AS A REPLACEMENT

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/Product...sid/0/SFV/32481

gear indicator

step 1:this is what you should see since you already have the console removed

TrannyGearSelector.jpg

step 2:carefully take a flathead and pry this bracket up CAREFULLY

1stStepOpeningTrannyGear.jpg

step 3:carefully take a flathead and pry this bracket up CAREFULLY

2ndStepOpeningTrannyGear.jpg

step 4:carefully take a flathead and pry this bracket up CAREFULLY

3rdStepOpeningTrannyGear.jpg

step 5:carefully take a flathead and pry this bracket up CAREFULLY

4thStepOpeningTrannyGear.jpg

step 6:bulb is in the housing to the left of the shifter with the green cover on it

TrannyGearBulb.jpg

step 7: just put bulb in, i chose to leave the green cover off for more light, reattach shifter console and put everything back together again

(as u can tell the light is bright its shining out the side of the shifter)

GearShifter.jpg

Humm, you seem to be missing the green lamp condom on the transmission mode switch. It should be green like the rest of the switches. You have to carefully unroll the green cover from the old bulb and roll it onto the new one. It's kinda' like putting on a.....well, you know ;) Also, I wonder why you disassembled the heated seat switch to change the (On) indicator bulbs. They easily pull out from the bottom with a needle-nosed pliers.

The shift gate lamp is not a standard #74, though you seem to have made it fit. It is in fact a proprietary Japanese bulb measuring .25mm less than a standard #74 in diameter. Usually, a #74 will not lock in properly in a Lexus socket because of the increased diameter. You will find the Lexus bulb tends to snap in a bit better than most #74's.

Excellent write up by the way. We need more articles like this.

Humm, you seem to be missing the green lamp condom on the transmission mode switch. It should be green like the rest of the switches. You have to carefully unroll the green cover from the old bulb and roll it onto the new one. It's kinda' like putting on a.....well, you know ;) Also, I wonder why you disassembled the heated seat switch to change the (On) indicator bulbs. They easily pull out from the bottom with a needle-nosed pliers.

The shift gate lamp is not a standard #74, though you seem to have made it fit. It is in fact a proprietary Japanese bulb measuring .25mm less than a standard #74 in diameter. Usually, a #74 will not lock in properly in a Lexus socket because of the increased diameter. You will find the Lexus bulb tends to snap in a bit better than most #74's.

Excellent write up by the way. We need more articles like this.

nah i just left the green condom off....i tried it with it on and then decided i liked it better without it! hahaha i didnt even notice i could get to the indicator bulbs from the bottom.... ty...i guess i can put that in the DIY. yeah i knew bulbs werent exactly the same but i talked to v-led whom i ordered from an they said it should be a problem! well ty and thanks for noticing my error i will make a note back into the DIY for others that way no1 breaks there switches....

Brian ... you are the man. FTW! Thanks for this write up. I'll do doing this when I remove my faulty proximity sensor.. its keeps falsing my alarm...

i knew i shoulda deleted my last name from those bags or marked through them. oh well no biggie...your welcome. as long as one other person finds it helpful, i guess it was useful. oh what proxy sensor u having problems with....?

lol, sorry about the last name thing, although i don't think you have to worry much about stalkers on here.

I have the direct brand, i think DEI is the manufacturer plugged into my Prestige XR9000..... i can't adjust the range but I think I'll just exchange it for another one.

also one note, i had #74 led for the shifter light that didn't fit correctly. I had a bunch of those LEDS around when I did my alarm, i tried swapping one in, but it was too tall... it may have been from a different source as i tend to throw all my led's in on box... i guess diffrent sellers have different dimensions.. just something to consider.

lol, sorry about the last name thing, although i don't think you have to worry much about stalkers on here.

I have the direct brand, i think DEI is the manufacturer plugged into my Prestige XR9000..... i can't adjust the range but I think I'll just exchange it for another one.

also one note, i had #74 led for the shifter light that didn't fit correctly. I had a bunch of those LEDS around when I did my alarm, i tried swapping one in, but it was too tall... it may have been from a different source as i tend to throw all my led's in on box... i guess diffrent sellers have different dimensions.. just something to consider.

no its no biggie. i shoulda changed the pic so it didnt show my last name but its all good....

yeah i had some problems with my prox sensor on my viper but just got a new one and it worked fine.

yeah i contacted the LED company b4 i bought this to make sure it would fit!

• 5 years later...

Hi, I have a 01 GS 430, most of my Nav light are either out or really dim! what is the bulb number(s) for them? Could i use a LED ones? and is there a tutorial on how to replace them? Thanks in advance.