99 Rx300 Timing Belt

BMSKM

In my humble opinion the RX300 engine is non-interference. The confusion stems from the fact that most "documentation" that is cited is a call to the local Lexus dealer. What is the dealer going to tell you? It's non-interference so don't worry about timing belt breaking. OR You run the risk of catastrophic engine damage should the timing belt break. That'll be $1200 dollars thank you. Hmmm I wonder.....

The engine is non-interference but the dealers are going to tell you everything to the contrary. I called three dealers. One told me it was technically interference. The other two told me it was non-interference. The one who told me it was "technically interference" went on to say that should a valve float at high engine speed it has the ability to strike the piston. I ask myself, Is this not possible with any engine then? I guess there is no such thing as a non-interference engine in existence according to what that particular dealer said. Problem solved, there is always a chance, however slight that the valve could hit the piston. Must be an interference engine then! What BS.

Okay. I'm done ranting.