99 Rx300 Timing Belt

BMSKM

I just made appointment at my mechanics to have a new timing belt installed per 100,000 mile (I have 105k). He immediately recommended I also replace seals (3ea) and water pump saying if one of these goes in next 100K it will be expensive. Should I do this?

i replaced the water pump at 100k, it is driven by the timing belt....If you have been taking care of the coolent (replacing every 4 years) I see no reason the pump might not make 200k...However I am from the old school, I would hate to have the pump fail at 160k and wipe out my timing belt before its time....

I just made appointment at my mechanics to have a new timing belt installed per 100,000 mile (I have 105k). He immediately recommended I also replace seals (3ea) and water pump saying if one of these goes in next 100K it will be expensive. Should I do this?

I have done it at 95K. Best way is to do Timing Belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, and seals. Private garage is about $600 including refill of toyota antifreeze. I also recommend changing drive belts at the same time.

I have 96K miles and when i was at 90K thinking of doing timing belt i looked at older posts and decided to hold the timing belt and water pump work till 125K or even a little longer.

All the previous post suggested that no one at least on this forum has seen any damage to the timing belt till 140-150K. And when they got it changed at 90K it was as good as new.

I have 96K miles and when i was at 90K thinking of doing timing belt i looked at older posts and decided to hold the timing belt and water pump work till 125K or even a little longer.

All the previous post suggested that no one at least on this forum has seen any damage to the timing belt till 140-150K. And when they got it changed at 90K it was as good as new.

Mine looked as good as new at 87k too. BUT, please remember that the strength of the belt comes from the internal reinforcing cords which you can not see. I have read some technical stuff on TB failures which says the appearance of the exterior rubber has nothing to do with the remaining life. Also, our engines are interference or at least there is a probability that they are. Finally, time is very important too. I wouldn't go much longer than 6yrs/90k. Chances are pretty good that you will only be doing one TB change on this vehicle so why wait?

Read up a bit further. Artbuc is exactly right. You cannot determine the condition of a TB by the external appearance alone! Mileage and age are the parameters to follow regardless of how new it may look! TB's will deteriorate internally from stress and heat long before there's any indication on the surface. As has been suggested, there is no advantage in taking a risk especially if you have an interference engine. At the very least you face being stranded somewhere when you least expect it.

Thanks for all the info. I think you folks are right that if one plan to keep the vehicle till 150-175K then why wait. Better change it at 90K.

Somehow after reading older threads i got an impression that timing belt as well as spark plugs would last 125K or even a little more.

Anyways i think a lot of discussion happened on this forum on interference vs non-interference and it was finally determined that Lexus RX300 (at least 2000 and above) have non interference engine.

One more question. Any comments on getting the timing belt and water pump done by Toyota Vs done by an independent mechanic.

trips1 The 2000 is the same engine as the 1999....1meze. It is an interference engine..... As for the timing belt, have it changed. The plugs will go an easy 125k....as a matter of fact one gentleman has 175k and still going. The Iridium original equipment plugs are incredible. You could get your belt and waterpump changed by Toyota for around $500.. I did and am very satisfied with their work. They even used a Lexus belt (quite frankly that is a farce as it is just a toyota belt)

I am dead sure on the engine as I have been helping a neigbor by rebuilding his which is a 2003....

I did a search on "non interference engine" in this forum and there are different opinions.

Some have even provided documentation to support that RX300 after a certain year has non interference engine.

I am not sure if there is a way for me to confirm this.

Lenore i will go by what you say that RX300 has interference engine.

Anyways I have a 2001 2WD RX300 with about 95K miles. So i guess its time for me to get the timing belt changed now :-(

I did a search on "non interference engine" in this forum and there are different opinions.

Some have even provided documentation to support that RX300 after a certain year has non interference engine.

Anyways I have a 2001 2WD RX300 with about 95K miles. So i guess its time for me to get the timing belt changed now :-(

A little bit of googling have got me further confused. Some people have quoted that Lexus RX300 is non interference. I hope a call to Toyota and Lexus service center can confirm if RX300 2WD 2001 is an interference or non interference engine. Or does anyone know if a call to the Lexus corporate and requesting them to get this answered by their mechanical team is a better option. :-(

A little bit of googling have got me further confused. Some people have quoted that Lexus RX300 is non interference. I hope a call to Toyota and Lexus service center can confirm if RX300 2WD 2001 is an interference or non interference engine. Or does anyone know if a call to the Lexus corporate and requesting them to get this answered by their mechanical team is a better option. :-(

This has just recently been discussed on Club Lexus in the most defining way that it has been explained yet. It is confusing when you search online and find sources that should be accurate and yet they disagree. If you do a search there I believe it will be clearer than it has been ay any time yet in the 3+ years that I have been on this forum.

Actually i had looked at clublexus also and different threads had different information.

I think finally the conclusion is that the RX300 engine is interference.

Here is one of the post from clublexus indicating that everyone (including Moderator Lexmex) previously thought that the engine is non interference.

I really appreciate everyone's response on this thread.

From Clublexus

==================

Quote:

Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post

Wow, LexMex, are you sure? We always thought (on this forum) that the RX300 had a non-interference engine. What changed this opinion? I had my belt changed today (see my other post) and I'm sure glad I did, if this is the case!

Lexmex and I for a long time thought the 1mz-fe is non-interference but it turned out 1mz-fe VVT-i is interference.

==================

So i am getting a quote from a local Toyota dealer as:

Timing Belt+Driving Belt+inspect/replace seals. = $349 - 10%coupon discount = approx $315

Additionally changing water pump = $300 - 10% discount = $270

I am not sure if the price for the water pump replacement is too high. Or is it okay?

www.thepartsbin.com shows the price of water pump from $44(A1 Cardone) to $90 (NPW). And the replacement coolant should not be more than 20-30$.

So $270+Tax for water pump looks a little high to me, unless it involves something additional.

Yes the waterpump is only about $100 and the labor to do it should be less than 1 hr since they are in there anyway to do the timing belt. My toyota dealer did all of those for $500.....That included timing belt and water pump and coolant....

So i am getting a quote from a local Toyota dealer as:

Timing Belt+Driving Belt+inspect/replace seals. = $349 - 10%coupon discount = approx $315

Additionally changing water pump = $300 - 10% discount = $270

I am not sure if the price for the water pump replacement is too high. Or is it okay?

www.thepartsbin.com shows the price of water pump from $44(A1 Cardone) to $90 (NPW). And the replacement coolant should not be more than 20-30$.

So $270+Tax for water pump looks a little high to me, unless it involves something additional.

Trips- Too bad they didn't break down the prices on the water pump replacement. As Lenore said the water pump should not be more than $115. to $118. plus tax at list from Toyota. The installation isn't bad at all when they're in there. The Toyota (it virtually all says Toyota on it even when it's purchased from Lexus) red coolant however is a different story. I used to purchase it from Toyota at a discount for about $11.95 a gallon. The last I checked it lists for about $32. a gallon and discounted is about $26 to $28. a gallon. having said that, I would not personally use ANYTHING but original eq. in ANY of these parts including coolant. They use some of the highest quaility i have personally ever seen. It is worth everything you pay for it, and I'm not sure I can say that about any of the other suppliers you mentioned (though they are good suppliers). The water pump still seems a little high even including the labor and coolant, but not really excessive considering the coolant cost. DO use the red Toyota coolant!

• 1 month later...

If you are not driving under severe conditions (stop and go in manhattan) than you do not need to replace the timing belt. Only inspection should be done. This is because this car is a non interference engine thus it will do no damage to your engine should the belt break. I have been able to get at least another 30 miles on a timing belt on my mostly highway driven car.

If you are not driving under severe conditions (stop and go in manhattan) than you do not need to replace the timing belt. Only inspection should be done. This is because this car is a non interference engine thus it will do no damage to your engine should the belt break. I have been able to get at least another 30 miles on a timing belt on my mostly highway driven car.

Sorry it is an interference engine.....This is debated over and over.....

Actually i had looked at clublexus also and different threads had different information.

I think finally the conclusion is that the RX300 engine is interference.

Here is one of the post from clublexus indicating that everyone (including Moderator Lexmex) previously thought that the engine is non interference.

I really appreciate everyone's response on this thread.

From Clublexus

==================

Quote:

Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post

Wow, LexMex, are you sure? We always thought (on this forum) that the RX300 had a non-interference engine. What changed this opinion? I had my belt changed today (see my other post) and I'm sure glad I did, if this is the case!

Lexmex and I for a long time thought the 1mz-fe is non-interference but it turned out 1mz-fe VVT-i is interference.

==================

There is no way it is an interference engine. I had a belt snap on me and had zero engine damage. Mind you I was at about 3500 rpm when it happened. (belt snapped due to faulty installation of idler pulley in timing components).

There is no way it is an interference engine. I had a belt snap on me and had zero engine damage. Mind you I was at about 3500 rpm when it happened. (belt snapped due to faulty installation of idler pulley in timing components).

Being a curious type, I'm wondering if they explained to you how the idler pulley was incorrectly installed? I have had them off on my DIL's RX twice and installed new once (total of 3 times) and have a hard time even imagining how they could be installed incorrectly. If they actually explained how, I would appreciate that information. I have known way too many times when the service people made the stories up. (if you put me in charge, I'd pass a rule that they would be mute if they were not telling the truth! Things would get a whole lot quieter all of a sudden. LOL)

P.S. By idler, do you mean the top pulley?

Being a curious type, I'm wondering if they explained to you how the idler pulley was incorrectly installed? I have had them off on my DIL's RX twice and installed new once (total of 3 times) and have a hard time even imagining how they could be installed incorrectly. If they actually explained how, I would appreciate that information. I have known way too many times when the service people made the stories up. (if you put me in charge, I'd pass a rule that they would be mute if they were not telling the truth! Things would get a whole lot quieter all of a sudden. LOL)

Roger, I would guess they meant the tensioner pulley which could be installed incorrectly if they didn't compress/lock the piston before they bolted it up. I think it could get cocked before both mounting bolts were home.

Your comment reminds me of an experience I had at Wilke Lexus re a rear CV boot. It is a long and interesting story which I won't go into here. At one point I was walking out of the shop with the Service Manager after having caught the mechanic with his pants down, so to speak. The mechanic had just tried to talk his way out of the problem by telling one of the most ridiculous stories you ever want to hear. I said to the Service manager "Your Tech is either a liar or incompetent. Which one do you think it is?" The Service manager said "I'd rather not answer that question."

Roger, I would guess they meant the tensioner pulley which could be installed incorrectly if they didn't compress/lock the piston before they bolted it up. I think it could get cocked before both mounting bolts were home.

Your comment reminds me of an experience I had at Wilke Lexus re a rear CV boot. It is a long and interesting story which I won't go into here. At one point I was walking out of the shop with the Service Manager after having caught the mechanic with his pants down, so to speak. The mechanic had just tried to talk his way out of the problem by telling one of the most ridiculous stories you ever want to hear. I said to the Service manager "Your Tech is either a liar or incompetent. Which one do you think it is?" The Service manager said "I'd rather not answer that question."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the response and the laugh AB. Can't imagine any competent mechanic not compressing the tensioner but stranger things definitely have a way of happening, don't they?