Heated Seats (merged Topics)

Joseph G

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a 1999 RX 300 with 115k miles on it. I bought the car used in 2003 with 50k miles, and have continued the regular maintainence and check-ups over the past 6 years.

However, I began to realize (around 80k miles or so) that the bottom of the driver's side seat began to get really hot (almost burned me) when the seat-heater as activated. Now, when the seat-heater is activated, the bottom does not heat up at all (only the back of the seat).

As anyone else experienced this problem, and/or does anyone know how much it will cost to repair it?

thanks!

--jason

The heater itself is around $323, but I would check the leads with an Ohmeter to see if it is open....Very expensive little part....You might be able to get the whole seat with heater cheaper at a junk yard. did you check for fuses...??

• 3 weeks later...

the dealership said that to replace the seat would be $900 (including parts and labor). he said that the seat just completed it's life-span.

so if anyone know where I can get this done cheaper, please let me know.

thanks!

The seat met its lifetime...Oh my God, I hate what these dealerships tell their customers. The heater is around $330 and to get to it takes some time.

But I bet an uphoustry shop could do it for you if you supplied the heater. I know 9 years ago when mine failed, Lexus didnt even do it, they sent it to an uphoustry shop....go figure...

Agreed. Good, reputable automotive upholstery shops do this work far better than any Lexus tech can....

My wife's seat heaters in her 2004 RX330 AWD faded away a couple of times while the vehicle was still under factory warranty. Our local Lexus dealership made two separate attempts to fix the seat heaters, both unsuccessful, and wound up subbing out the vehicle to my favorite local auto upholstery shop that I've dealt with for more than 30 years. They diagnosed the problem, sourced the parts, made the repairs, and got the vehicle back to us within two days with Lexus of course paying for the incident under warranty and supplying a loaner car. Both heated seats have been cooking my wife's and her friends' derrierres ever since....

I don't know how anyone can stand heated seats. I sweat like Secretariat in his prime after just a couple of minutes even on the lowest setting. No thanks....

• 5 months later...
Go here and select repair manual, then select body electrical and then on page B160 starts the section on seat heater:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=52026

I have a '99 Lexus RX300 and my seat heaters will not turn off. They heat while the switch is off and I've even pulled what I thought was the fuse. Just wondering how to fix.

I couldn't get the link above to work... but I did find a copy of the Repair manual somewhere else. However, the pages are not labeled and it's over 1,000 pages long. Wondering where to start?

Go here and select repair manual, then select body electrical and then on page B160 starts the section on seat heater:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=52026

I have a '99 Lexus RX300 and my seat heaters will not turn off. They heat while the switch is off and I've even pulled what I thought was the fuse. Just wondering how to fix.

I couldn't get the link above to work... but I did find a copy of the Repair manual somewhere else. However, the pages are not labeled and it's over 1,000 pages long. Wondering where to start?

I downloaded that manual and did a quick search, it not help much, just that on page 652, it gave a code, then said "require repair or replace"

• 7 years later...