Tire / Wheel Size For 1999 Lx470

scott

hey y'all...

my 99 lx470 is due for a new set of tires, and instead of replacing them with the standard P275/70R-16's, i thought i might go for something larger.

-what would be the main reasons for going to a larger tire (traction, appearance, clearance)?

-are there any reasons (safety, ride, etc) for sticking with the facotry size?

-what are some good options in a larger size?

thanks,

scott

With the LX 470, you're somewhat limited with the overall size of the tires available -- mostly due to the lack of lifts on the market and the structure of the 470's suspension.

You can easily go up to a 285/75 R16 or a 305/70 R16. Both are essentially the same size, height-wise, but the 305 is a bit wider than the 285. Going any larger would require some work -- like cranking up the rear torsion bars, etc.

Main reasons for going larger? Depends on what you're after. If you're looking at off-road capability, I'd say that you'd get more clearance -- you'd be surprised how much that extra half-inch or so of clearance will do for you. I think the larger tire looks better.

If you go with an all-terrain tire, you'll get better traction off-road.

One downside is that your mileage will suffer a bit and your speedometer will be off (reading under) by about 3 to 5%. It will seem like you're getting much less fuel economy, this will not be the case in actuality. The calculations will be off because the odometer reading will be off (because of the speedometer being off). This can be easily corrected if you think it's a problem.

A friend of mine has a '99 Land Cruiser with 35" super swampers (TSLs) They look quite nice, IMHO. But this look wouldn't be for everyone.

I have a '97 LX450 with larger tires (285/75 R16 -- Goodyear MTRs) -- I've lived with all the things I mentioned above. No problems at all. In fact, I have another set in the garage ready to mount when I wear through the set I currently have.

My wife's LX450 currently has the stock Michelin LTX M/S (275/70 R16). On hers, I'll stay with the Michelins. They're a great tire.

Hope you found some of this useful.

Cheers.

Doug

• 12 years later...

Will the 285-75x16 fit the stock rims on my '98 LX470? And will they clear the front fenders in all suspension level settings? I like the idea of a taller and wider tire. I have 305-70x16's on my Land Cruiser FJ40. The other advantage is you get 10ply, much more heavy duty. 

DSC08085.JPG